Question about Antelope Horn Drying

RuRu12

I don't know much about horn drying in relation to having an antelope measured an I am hoping someone can answer a few questions. How much shrinkage is to be expected? How does the drying process work for an antelope. Can a taxidermist still remove the sheaths from the core for mounting? or do you have to wait until after measured? Any help will be appreciated.

You can remove the sheaths before measuring. There is no spread credit for antelope so it doesn't matter. You do need to keep the skull cap with the horn cores attached so it can be verified that those horns came from that head. The horns must dry 60 days at room temperature. The 60 days would start when it comes out of the freezer or after boiling, etc., again, at room temp. Expect 1.5 - 2.5" of shrinkage. Antelope really shrink a lot.

i've been told by my official measure to not attach the horns back to the skull plate. I guess they have been having issues with guys trying to increase their base measurement by stuffing as much plaster as they can in there. It is easier for them to measure off the skull plate as well.

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

Umm, I wouldn't do that. I would not give a damn what an individual scorer tells you. It's within B&C regs to reattach with non-expanding filler, such as plaster paris. If you let them sit off the skull plate, an 85" buck may not even make awards by the time it has shriveled up!

As for expanding the bases, so what? They may get 1/16th more, but still lose an inch overall anyway by the time the drying period is up. I think the drying period for antelope in stupid. I would like to see B&C accept heads for measurement for two weeks on the raw skull. just my opinion of course.

Yep antelope shrink a lot. I have one that was green net right around 83 1/2 and by the time he dried was oficailly scored at 81 2/8. If possible its good to keep them in a cool damp room, like in a basement closet or something. It can keep the shrinking to a minimum i've heard.

Agree with WYO. Shot a very massive buck last year that we had greened at 88 6/8. After 75 days, he officially grossed 86 5/8. Ouch, over 2" of shrinkage, and given the people who green scored him, I don't think they were off too much.

If he has heavy mass, get the horns off and re-attach with some non-expanding component. Otherwise he will look like you put a hose clamp on the bases, as shown in the pic below.

4adfb7ca5bc04120.jpg

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

Thanks for all of the info guys. I green scored my Wyoming buck at 81 6/8". I was very coservative with the measurements. I was hoping he might hold up to make the awards period. Sounds iffy though, he'll probably shrink too much. Doubt I would have entered him anyway.

i've never had an issue with them shrinking like that..that really shrunk to that?? Crazy wierd. Guess that wouldn't be a chance i will take anymore

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom