Question About BLM Roads

DreaminOf200

LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-14 AT 01:28PM (MST)[p]So I'm looking at a map (actually several maps - USGS, topo maps, etc.) of my hunting area, none of which show a road going across a certain section of BLM land. However, when I physically get to this hunting area, there is a road going straight across this section of BLM land. Can I legally drive on it since it's not labeled as a road?

*Edit: Maybe I should clarify that I am a non-resident and recall seeing something that said you're not allowed to take vehicles off of designated roadways. I don't really want to get stopped by the game warden and revoked of any equipment or privileges.

Tough one and perhaps no simple answer.

One cannot drive on something that is less than a 2-track (no vegetation in the tire tracks).

However, just because 25 people illegally drove there before you and created a 2-track does not make it a legal road.

But flip side I doubt any officer in the field knows whether roads are designated or not.

Recent example my buddy recently crossed paths with G&F officer in the field hunting antelope. G&F didn't have GPS or any clue exactly where they were. He gestured to a crappy paper map and said "we're somewhere about here". My buddy pulls up location on GPS with OnXMaps chip and says, no, we're EXACTLY right here.

There was no problem or trouble, just simply realization that G&F doesn't necessarily have the technology to even be able to check where you may be.

Add to the mix that many paper maps are out of date and may either show or not show roads that may be legal.

Rule of thumb: if it's established 2-track or better, and there are no berms or signs indicating it should be closed, then it is probably an open road.

That said I've seen PLENTY of bermed roads with incredible evidence of ATV and 4x4 use driving over or around the berms, so just because "somebody else is doing it" doesn't make it right or legal.

Sorry no clear answer.

Only way to be sure would be to call BLM and go over it. May even have to meet in the field, as they may not be able to know where you're talking about over the phone...

Carl

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom