Question about guns

eurosbyRT

I have a question about knock down power, I have a 8 mm mauser german sniper rifle that my grandpa brought back from ww2. I think it would be great to take my elk with it if it has good knock down power, IO know it kicks worse than a mule, but what would distance and power be like. any help would be great, thanks Robert

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

+1 nickman. You can do some more research and compare it to other calibers at any of the bullet manufacturers websites.

You find out who your friends are when you see who shows up to help pack your bull out!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I don't know much about the balistics, but it sure would be cool to see a photo, if you could post one.

Eel

The 8mm Mauser cartidge can be considered to have a power rating between the .308 and 30-06.

The problem I can see that most, if not all the commercial loadings for it use soft nose bullet that is great for deer size animals due to construction uing a light jacket. If bone is hit, it will expand very rapidly and not penatrate deep enough in larger game such as elk. You would have to confine your shots to broadside lung or heart.

I would think twice about using the rifle in the field. If it is a all original German military Mauser sniper rifle, it has high value to collectors of military rifles. Do not abuse it or change anything on it. Keep it original.

RELH

Its not all original, my grandpa brought it back from Germany and used it deer and elk hunting for many years, it was a sniper rifle in WW2 and has 5 stamps that ive been told they are from when a hit was done on a important person. Ive been told if the gun was orig that its worth about $3000 but where its my gramps its worth tons more to me.

I have researched it ballistics and figure its around a 3006 so i think it will do for close shots. I am just thinking it would be cool and memorable to use it to take my first LE bull with it. Its scope is around 50 years old so I would more than likely put my scope off my 270 on it.

I just wanted to see what others would think about using one to see if im totally wrong.

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

I think if you were to load some 180 grain Nosler Accubonds or Partitions as fast as you could safely push them, it would make a great 250 or so yard elk gun!!

150's can be pushed to be right on the heels of the 30-06.

Later,

Marcial

It is almost never the "gun", rifle, but the person behind it. If you can shoot it, it will be a great memory for you and your family. Good Luck

Cabuck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom