question about points

accumark

i have 5 elk points going into this years draw. i already have an outfitter lined up for when i draw the tag. is it best to put in for the special draw and spend the extra money? it looks like people who had 5 points last year had a 41% chance at drawing in the special draw. all of the 6 point guys are now out of there. this is for unit #7

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-13 AT 12:53PM (MST)[p]I would definitely say yes if you want any chance at all to draw the tag this year based on last years draw odds. Anyone with 5 or more points could put in for it this year since you can go wherever you want with your application each year. Also, with the fees to go up in 2014 there may be more people cashing in their PPs this year to get out of the Wyoming PP race. There were 1250 people in the Regular PP draw last year with <6 PPs and another 409 in the Special draw that had <5 PPs for 7. If any number of those in the Regular draw go up to the Special to try and get out of the Wyoming race, my guess is that you will have less than a 50% chance again with 5PPs in this years draw based on max being at 7 now.

IMO all the 6 point guys are not out yet. I know several people from my town that plan on applying for unit 7 with max points. Not trying to be rude just saying some guys might not applly every year.

"Also, with the fees to go up in 2014 there may be more people cashing in their PPs this year to get out of the Wyoming PP race."
Could not agree more TOPGUN i think alot of people will jump in this year and screw the odds up.

i see what you guys are saying. it really doesnt matter to me if i draw this year or not. i have resigned myself to the fact that with wyoming going in the direction they are going that when i do draw it will probably be my one and only elk hunt in wyoming. i have hunted wyoming 5 previous times for antelope and mule deer and hard to believe how much those licenses have gone up since the 90's. also how does wyoming refund a person who applies using a credit card? do they issue a check or refund your credit card? until this point i have only been buying points.

When you look at the scheme of things all the western states are putting us NRs in a bind, but you just have to try and sock money away and do your thing as best you can! Put in and cross your fingers you draw this year before the fees go higher. They issue a state check for any refund they owe you if you don't draw or if you do draw and and have purchased another point with your application they will refund that PP money.

thanks topgun. i think what bothers me is i feel the value for your money is not there anymore as compared to the 90's. 1100 for an elk tag is alot in my oponion and i am not poor. not rich either. being from the east i am only going to do so many elk hunts. my elk hunt price is 6500. 10 years ago it was 3000-3500. by the time you add it all up that elk you hopefully shoot cost about 9000. now dont get me wrong the hunt and experiece itself would be priceless but if 10 years ago someone told me an elk hunt in wyoming would cost 9000 i would have said i would never pay that.

That's the price you're going to pay for a fully guided hunt now and that's quite a bit of money compared to a DIY hunt like we always do. Have you looked at the prices these RFW ranches in CO and top landowner tags in NM are going for? If you haven't you will be shocked because some are from 10K to 20K. I have only taken one guided hunt and that was a 5 day mulie hunt on horseback in a wall tent camp for $2500 in 1994. That same hunt is now $4000 and I hunt on public land near that ranch every year with the same quality animals for the entire 2 week season for just the cost of the license. Since I drive wherever I hunt I don't even figure gas and food when comparing guided to DIY.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-13 AT 08:27PM (MST)[p]"Also, with the fees to go up in 2014 there may be more people cashing in their PPs this year to get out of the Wyoming PP race."

Agreed. 2015 you might get just about any tag you want.

Eel

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom