Question about public land access through private?

travismadden

I have a question about accessing public land that is surrounded by private property. I am an out of stater and am not familiar with the rules in New Mexico. The private property is clearly marked and fenced off do they have to allow you access to the public land or not? Trying to figure out of I can access it through the private property without problems. Private property owners are not hunters and will not allow access. Thanks for the help guys

It just depends on if there is a public road that goes through the private. If the road is public, then yes, if it is a private road, then no.

That is correct. If a public road goes through the private then you may take it to access the public ground. Usually these are county roads or state roads. Good luck.

Thanks for the info guys. WapitiBob not sure what I did to ruffle your feathers with the post then the edited one you left but thanks anyway

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-12 AT 12:48PM (MST)[p]

You didn't ruffle any feathers.
I just posted that they don't have to let you cross but the posts above mine covered that. Only way thru pvt is on an easement or permission. You can go "over" and land on the pvt as in a helicopter, chute plane, etc. but not too many do that.

first post reads worse than intended.

Just to add to the above, if you you know who owns the private land
it never hurts to call and ask permission to cross it and not hunt it.
I call and get permission to cross a piece every year and because I call every yr. I get a YES.
Also people call me to cross my land, and I give them the same privilege. The key is calling first and being respectful of their property.Private land owners hate people that sneak in.So make a call you never know.

CC

>WB sounds good just took it
>as you were annoyed. I
>appreciate the help.

That is how he always sounds. Not annoyed.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom