Question; Bivy hunt.

fatrooster

Long Time Member
Going on my first hike in bivy hunt and I was wondering what you bivy people put your harvested game meat in when you pack it out on your pack. Garbage bags? Ziplocks? fatrooster.

I use the Kifaru meat bags. They're made from tent fabric. Very light, and they keep both the meat and your pack clean. Check them out at Kifaru's website.

I use regular game bags and then put them in those large heavy duty lawn and leaf plastic sacks. Then put them in my pack but leave the top open so some air can get in there. Take the meat out of the plastic sacks as soon as possible.

Alaskan Game Bags are light, strong and breathable. Not to mention, cheap. Highly recommended.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-04 AT 09:24AM (MST)[p]If they are breathable will they leak or soak through the fabric? Don't want to get that new Badlands pack messed up to bad in my first year, lol. fatrooster.

fatrooster--what zone are you hunting??? I'm doing the same as you(backpacking in) in the middle fork zone 20a(probably)in OCT--I've got the same issue with the new Badlands pack that you do--figure I'll use a game bag and maybe take a garbage bag to at least protect the bottom of the pack or ??? will look into when the pack gets here, which is to be today---chris

no better way to sour meat than to leave it in plastic bags for very long at all.. I use canvas game bags. by the time you bone and drain, or quarter your animal, and let it hang or drape on a log or rock between your trips with your pack, it will be dry enough to pack cleanly.. besides, who wants a pansy-clean backpack? any pack worth owning can be washed clean. and any pack worth taking hunting can be used for its purpose!!

I just use the realy heavy plastic bags (hint: go to the airport and get some of those heavy ski-transport bags) plastic just to pack it in the backpack while hiking, then into muslin cloth sail cloth, or light white canvas to drain and dry.. then into coolers at truck or airstrip. If you use plastic, and need to store it for any time at all, make sure that no liquid accumulates.. it is a bacterial soup kitchen.

Before I broke down and paid 6 bucks apiece for the reusable canvas game bags, I used pillow cases for years... one pillow case will hold all a person can carry and leave enouth material to tie up and hang form a meat pole..

jameister--you hit on the head with keeping meat in a plastic bag--I figure to keep the pack somewhat clean with laying it in the bottom for the juicy pcs--of course it all depends on how far one must pack meat out-short distance plastic bag is fine-long distance is a no go---plus the weather plays into it big time ---chris

I use the animal feed sacks made from a plastic type fabric, they are kind of woven, breathe and do leak but not bad.I buy new unused bags at an elevator where they sack grain. I also have a Badlands pack, but when bivying I take a pack frame that has a hinged shelf on the bottom, the side of the frame stick up past the top crossbar,I hook the shoulder straps of my day pack over these and the waist strap of the day pack around the frame.Sleeping bag, and bivy sack are put in plastic bag then rolled up in feed sack and wedged between hinged shelf and pack frame. I have bloodied up my Badlands pack and it cleand up easily and does not stink. Good luck.

Guys, please do not take offense to this, but to keep meat in a plastic bag is the worst scenario. Unless it is on ice, or the temps will keep it like on ice. Spoilage can happen in a short time. Cheese cloth and pillow cases have worked for me. Just clean the packs out with a hose and a soft nylon brush. Use the non-scented hunter soap if you need something more. Used this method elk quarters and boned out coues deer in Az. My hunting partners all have Badlands and have not had one fail. Call Badlands to see if cleaning like this will hurt it. Hope I did not offend- i just believe in keeping meat cool and getting to a cooler or meat shop ASAP. The plastic acts like a vapor barrier, keeping the heat of the meat in bag. CDN

just to clarify--for me a short distance in above freezing weather is 1/2 hour or less--but it all depends on temp and how you deal with it once you get to your destination--chris

I agree you do not want to LEAVE the meat in plastic sacks.
For the short time you are carrying it on your back (a few hours) it does not cause a problem. It is a good idea to leave the top of the sack open so there is some air movement.
I have been using the game bag and plastic sack method in my back pack for 15 years and never had any meat spoil.

Kifaru bags seem steep at 18 and 28 bucks each. But are they worth it?

Where can I see alaskahunter bags? How are they, cost etc...

Jeff

no way are they worth it. canvas which cools and drains and breathes and can be machine washed (and disinfected with hot water, is the way to go. five or six bucks apiece at popular outdoors or any other outdoor hunting store. Now I have some kifaru stuff, and its well made, but if (when) a coyote or bear or dusty roads get to your game bags, why be at risk? anything that does not breathe adn leak is going to breed bacteria and cause the same problems as plastic bags..

course I have only boned and bagged and carried out a couple of dozen animals or so..

ok, where do I buy canvas bags on the net? I'm far from any type of hunting store.
Jeff

Here's what I've done, kill a buck, bone it out putting it in game bags, put the game bag in a plastic bag to pack out in, as soon as you've packed it out take the meat out of the plastic bag so it can breathe. I haven't had any meat go bad this way before, but it is only in the plastic bag for a couple of hours.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom