question for beanman

JimmyA

Kind of an odd question but do you sell your product locally to grand junction?

The reason I ask is because we hunt in Colorado almost yearly and we always pick up a few pounds of pinto beans in Fruita. Something about those "gourmet" pinto beans are great!

We are from CA and always make sure to stop in Fruita at City Market to pick up about 40lbs of beans to use in camp and bring home.

Just curious because of a post I read on here.

JimmyA

JimmyA,

The farm is located in Fruita, I sell mostly foundation class pinto bean seed but I have a small amount, only about 4000 pounds, of Pinto's to sell as 'commercials' each year. The "gourmet" pinto beans you're buying at City Market probably come from Dove Creek and Adobe Milling. (Adobe Milling owns the trade name Anasazi Beans too)

I'll save a 50 pound bag for you if you like.

I really appreciate your offer but I wouldn't want to impose.

That and there is a good chance that we aren't going to make it out of state this year. Too many issues to list.

I was just curious more than anything.

Thanks again for the offer.

JimmyA

So BeanMan, Anasazi Beans are just a trade name of a particular type of Pinto? I see them all the time when we hunt SW Colorado and wondered what type of bean they were. Need to pick some up when we are there this year.

Mike,

Anasazi beans are a Mexican landrace, they are different from pinto's. Some people feel they cause less gas than pinto's. Adobe Milling has done a great job by trademarking the name 'Anasazi' and marketing them, my hat is off to them. There's even a cool origin story about them being found in a clay pot in some ruin. Most dry bean breeders think they came from the highlands of Mexico though. The Anasazi type can not be grown in Mesa, Montrose, or Delta counties (Colorado's disease free seed growing region) because they are carriers of bean common mosaic virus.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom