Question for experienced blind hunters: Archery deer

AZ4life

I'm considering hunting from a blind for the August archery mule deer hunt. I'm historically a spot and stalk guy, but know of a few spots where I would think blinds should work.

My questions for you experienced blind hunters:
How long do you feel the blind needs to be out to not draw attention from deer when they see the blind? I've heard of people just plopping down their pop-ups the day before the hunt and deer come in without a second glance, but I've also heard it needs to be out longer or they will notice...

How often does scent seem to be a problem? I seems that if you are sitting in a blind in the AZ summer all day before the buck comes in, that you would have stunk up the place pretty bad?? Obviously deer are taken all the time regardless of this, but it seems that if they smelled you on the way in, they would spook. Do you just pray the deer comes in up wind from your blind?

I know there are differing opinions here, but figure there should be some consistency if we are sticking to AZ: What time of day have you seen most shooters come in? If I sit, it would be all day, but I want to get a feel for what you have experienced.

I'm specifically looking at mule deer, but would be interested if you have seen differences to coues habits.

Thanks!

Blind do work. However, I have noticed that if it is on a waterhole then they tend to pick it out pretty easy unless it is set up well in advance and brushed in well. They know every blade of grass and every rock around water.. they are vunerable on water and they pay attention. but what i have done is to set up a brush blind around the blind in advance of the hunt then remove the blind so it doesn't get stolen, but keep it in the woods to let it "air out" in the same type of habitat. then bring it back in a couple of days before the hunt re brush it in and hunt... I am also pay attention to scent control on clothing and equipment and the approach to the blind when I hunt it.

For mule deer in open country, early and late are best due to the heat. In pines where there is thermal cover or shade from mountains hangs on later I will hunt longer in the morn and earlier in the eve. In the morning i will go in to the blind two hrs early and take a nap till grey light to let the woods settle. If im late getting there then i will still hunt very slowly from the downwind side in shooting light to the blind.

Whitetails, well, hunt all day!!! Especially in pines or cedars!

Hope this helps.

Thats some real good advice right there ! Also get a good chair to sit in that is quiet and comfortable. Get a chair that has a back or you won't last very long in the blind ! A gator aid jug is a good thing to have with you. Get to know how the blind works and what your going to do because one minute nothing and the next minute you have deer right outside the blind.

It must be hard being a blind archery guy. How do you (SEE) Just J/K

Yes they have to get use to the blind and it takes time.The closer you can make it blend it the better it will be.Keeping your smell at a minimum is hard so use cover scent(earth, sagebrush,pine), make it for the area you are hunting.
Making sure everything is comfortable is a huge deal, Because the less noise you make the better it will be for your chances of shooting something,being able to stand and move without causing sound is huge have a Bow stand to hang your bow on is nice. Having a Bottle to piss in that is a given.Snacks should be the quiet kind no tearing open plastic bags, munching on loud products,ect.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

One BIG thing I forgot to say... PRACTICE! Not only how to set up the blind quietly and quickly but especially shooting out of it... A lot of things can go wrong on the shot... blinds are dark and your pins will be darker ( practice low light shooting!!) The arrow may not clear the blind (had it happen to me on an antelope hunt and by the grace of god I got lucky and still killed the buck quickly on what should've been a really bad hit). Your limbs could hit the ground or the blind on the shot... Trust me on this...PRACTICE!!!!

Also use a range finder to "map out" the area. There is something about looking through those windows that sometimes throw off my depth perception especially at greylight and go time!!! It wouldn't be the "fever" I don't think!!!!:)

To expand on the chair thought.. Get one with a mesh bottom and back or cloth material.. Most of the ones out there have a plastic backing and they will make a TON of noise when it is cool out and no arms as they could get in the way at the wrong time.. and of course black in color..

Good luck and hope all this helps

Eric

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-11 AT 09:24PM (MST)[p]blinds are a great tool

wind - scent- concelment-comfort

you may want to set up more than one unless the wind in generally from the same direction every day

use the materials from the area for scent - juniper - sage - even the earth - i hate bottle earth scent as every area can be unique-

spare no time in brushing it in- give at least 3 different shooting lanes and always have a backstop for better concelment

i try to make a blind big enough for 2 - even better if ya can build it high enough/or dig it out a little - so you can stand and stretch- i always have a padded chair of some kind

good luck and build thta blind

practice shooting from the chair you plan on taking - part of the reason for big blind - so you can kneel or even stand for a shot-

MM

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom