Question for T/C Omega Owners!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elmacho

I am looking to buy one of these.

Any tips on accuracy at given ranges.

Is it a good long range shooter? May scope it for some states to help with range.....

Any Colorado shooting tips?

Looks like Buds gunshop is the spot, that or sportsmans warehouse. They both have it for about $340= stainless/composite.

Thanks and good luck to you all.

Mark

LAST EDITED ON May-20-07 AT 08:27AM (MST)[p]
The rifle is fine for conicals - as long as they are heavy ones. Good choices would be Maxi's over 400 grains - No Excuse Bullets 460-500 gr -- Bullshop bullets ... same size.

Do a google search to find No Excuse bullets and Bullshop bullets. When ordering Bullshop, get .504 diameter, gas checks and specify all-lead bullets.

If you opt for Powerbelts, get the 405 gr. Those seem to shoot best in most Omegas.

............."Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas".............

LAST EDITED ON May-20-07 AT 09:11PM (MST)[p]If anyone thinks they can get MY Omega to shoot conicals well, I will send it to them to try! Big conicals have not made the difference in mine. I have tried maxiballs (370 gr, which is the biggest 50 cal they make) no excuses (460 gr) and buffalo bullets (385 gr). With pyrodex, 777, APP and Black mag3. Started at 80 grains of each and worked up in 5 grain increments to 120 grains (or the equivalent) The no excuses, which are raved about as far as accuracy, gave me 3 to 8 inch groups at 25 yards!

I did send it back to T/C to test, explaining that I could only shoot conicals, and they simply shot sabots in it and said it shot fine. When I called, they told me that it was a sabot gun. Sent it back a second time, with a note taped to the gun that said if they didn't shoot conicals, don't bother shooting it at all. They said they got adequate groups using 370 grain maxiballs and 80 grains of real black powder. Have to admit, I have not tried that yet, but really don't want to change to real black powder at this point.

That said, I have been able to get ok accuracy with powerbelts and pyrodex (4-5 inches at 100 yards), but have really wanted to change to a bullet with a better terminal performance track record in elk.

Hope springs eternal though, I just bought some Hornady great plains bullets (410 grain, flat point) to try. The have a rear end that somewhat mimics the skirt of the powerbelts. Am hoping that might make a difference.

Barring that, I may get the QLA cut off, or just consider trading it in on the new Knight KP1 coming out this summer.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I shoot 348 grain powerbelts with 100 gr of 777 and get roughly 3-4 inch groups at 100 yds off hand. Shot a few shockwaves through it and had very good accuracy with them also.

I've never shot anything but powerbelts (245 grn) out of my omega. I use 777 powder and the setup works great. I've never tried to shoot more than 100 yards at a target or an animal, but can get 2-3 inch groups at that range, so 150 yards or so with open sights would not be unreasonable in the field. The rifle is a dream to carry and to clean, and it's lighweight and accurate. I believe they've just come out with one that is even lighter in weight???

Light weight rifle on a windy day.. Good luck at hitting anything with it! Been there done that. My new rifle weighs a little over 8lbs and is a dream to shoot in wind. Light weight rifles also dont absorb recoil from a heavier bullet and that leaves the shooter a little sore after the day is done.

Powerbelts : Has anyone tried a different conical besides the powerbelt? Its nice to see the varity that each rifle can shoot.

I've got one. Shot excellent using 2 Pyros and powerbelts right out of the box, consistent good groups right out to 200. Two friends have them and are completely satisfied. One of them experienced one problem - gun was innaccurate- found to be a loose scope ring. Tightened it and never had a problem.

Ed

this is the 2nd one I've had in as many years. I freaking love it. it "fits" me, I mean it sits right where it should. I installed a sims vibration labs buttpad and feel nothing when it goes off, I have only shot 245 grain powerbelts with 130 grain pyrodex pellets. both the aero tips, and hollow points. the hollow points shoot a couple inches low at 150 yards though but I am shooting an old steel flywheel from an old chevy, it is about 18" around and 2" thick. it makes a solid thud when hit. nothing I own will dent it in any way. I love the gun, would'nt trade it for squat. I installed a leupold VX-I 3-9x40 1" tube scope, and it is a great fit. I will agree though that the powerbelts are beautiful to load, it is nice. I tried the t/c ones that came with the gun and about killed myself trying to load them. I bought some buffalo bulletts from cabelas, and some "cheap shots" lead as well, all seem very hard to load. .50 cal omega camo/stainless, leupold VX-I scope, svl buttpad, 245 or other POWERBELTS, and pellets. this is a very popular combination because it shoots nice most times. it is sexy, accurate, and cost efficient- what more would you need ?

Proud White Man !!!!!
M WAITE, AZ.

Stay with the powerbelts, I have had pretty good accuracy up to two hundred yards.

The Omega has a 1 in 28 twist and will shoot sabot's better than a conical's. To improve accuracy with a conical try putting a bore button on the bottom of the bullet, this improves the gas seal and you should get better groups.

Good luck!

MDnut

Thats not true,. The White rifles had a 1:24 twist and shot conicals perfectly. My rifle has a 1:28 twist and shoots conicals better than anything, Including sabots. Most TC justs have a problem shooting conicals.

I feel you boy's pain.
Especially you, TXhunter58, cause I know you've
got a hunt coming up.
I shoot an Encore.
And I finally found that it likes 100 gr. of Pyrodex
and 290 gr. Powerbelts.

This stuff HURT'S when it aint working right.

I'd rather shoot more weight in the bullet,
but I'm not changing now that I've found something
accurate.

David, I hope you get something going.
I know where you're coming from.
lrv

I love mine I use 290 grain powerbelts with 120 grains of 777 and it is great. Can consistently blow up milk jugs out to 250 yards, with a one power red dot scope.

Definately got something going, but not with the Omega! Went back to my T/C renegade. This weekend, I took it out and was getting great groups with T/C maxiballs, 370 grain. I am getting great accruacy with 80-90 grains of 777, so that will be my elk rifle/load this year. Truth is, it is great to be shooting the Renegade again.

txhunter58

Good to hear that Dave.
Expect big Ugly (the elk, not you) pictures.
I'm gonna try real hard myself.
Best wishes.
lrv

ok I am dumb but can someone tell me how much powder factories put in thier loads ? I know all are different but lets say for example remington .308 150 grain btsp. how many grains of powder are in that shell. I know its me but I guess I am still stuck on the .338 grain bullet and only 80-90 grains of powder ? seems like it would just fall out the end of the barrel much less go out to 250 yards ? I thought the bigger the bullet the more powder you should use ? the 1st day I shot my muzz a friend of mine told me what he shoots for deer, antelope, javelinas, anything he said. he told me to use 130 grains of pellets and the 245 grain powerbelt aerotips. thats what I tried and heck I shot great. then I looked and saw how many larger bullets are sold and thought more powder for those bigger ones, however after reading this forum it appears the exact opposite ? how is that possible ? does the factory loads follow the same basic princeable ? larger bullett less powder ? always curious ????? thanks !!!!!

Proud White Man !!!!!
M WAITE, AZ.

First of all, I am sure you have heard of a caliber that has killed a LOT of elk and buffalo in its time: The 45-70. Those numbers mean that it was 45 caliber and used 70 grains of blackpowder. Thats right, only 70 grains! When you are flinging big hunks of lead, you don't really have to used magnum charges to get great penetration and terminal performance. Here is a good reference to read: http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/July02.htm Talks about how big slow bullets have great knockdown power. My load: 80 grains of 777 is the same as 92 grains of blackpowder since 777 is aprox 15% stronger than BP.

As far as using 150 grains of powder for a 500 grain bullet? There are people who do it, but I won't be one of them. The recoil on that would certainly be big. If you plug my load into the Taylor index, you will see that it has plenty of "knock down" for elk. Why would I want to put up with more recoil when I have a very accurate load and I don't flinch from recoil?

Also, for some reason, in my experience, bigger bullets fly better at lower powder charges. This is probably not true in all guns, but it certainly is in mine.

Also, as you increase the lead weight, you also increase the pressure you build up in that barrel, so you have to be sure that you have a barrel that can withstand the pressure. All barrels are not created equal.

Most people who use magnum charges with big conicals do so for a couple of reasons. I think the main reason is they want to flatten the trajectory out to shoot at 200 + yards. And most just seem to "like speed". In my case, I only hunt in Colorado with open sights, and am content to set a max range of 100 yards. There is no need for magnum charges in my case for me.

Many bullets, powerbelts for example, seem to perform better at lower speeds and break up when you start pushing the limits. In their case, you actually seem to get better penetration at lower charges because the bullet holds together better.

JMHO
txhunter58

ok so for you only shooting 100 yards or less your load is fine, but if people like me hunt wide open spaces, same places where I normally shoot my 6mm factory loads to 500 yards. then a load that will shoot flatter, longer yardages is the norm ? then I guess I have to just listen to everyones advice and then go do it myself at the range. I have some powerbelts .338 platniums I just was given for my hunt. I'll try where I left off with my 245's at 130 and go from there. I have a limbsaver buttpad and I honestly can say with the load I have shot- 245 and 130- there is NO recoil at all. so since I am going to be shooting out to 250 yards- no farther- there is the chance I might have to shoot 130+, right ? I mean I won't start there but it could happen ? I'm guessing that sometime, someplace, there is a need to shoot that 130-150 grains of powder, right ? how will you know if your barrel ain't taking the charge- besides blowing up in my face- lol.
thanks for the info I'm working on the link you sent.
Proud White Man !!!!!
M WAITE, AZ.

First, I personally wouldn't trust the terminal performance of a powerbelt pushed at 130-150 grains. Too many stories on them busting up when pushed too hard. JMO.

If you want to shoot at those distances and use bigger charges, then use modern projectile sabots, not conicals. They are designed to perform at higher velocites.

Also, for me personally, if I wanted to shoot something at 200 + yards, I would pull out my 7mm mag. However, that rule only applies to me, to each his own.

txhunter58

WELL, I cannot draw a rifle tag to shoot my 6mm/.308 at animals over 200 yards, I can and did draw a muzzleloader tag so since muzzleloaders will shoot at 200 and 250 then why not shoot that far if needed ? anyway I am naive because I have'nt heard any problems with 130-150. I have only shot about 100-150 shots through my rifle and all at 130 and never had an issue, maybe I'm lucky. I have just received some new platnium powerbelt .338 bullets and I intend to try them out with my 130 and go from there. also how can you tell if the bullet "comes apart" ? I would like to know because when I find my bullets it is after they hit and there is not alot left anyway ? how do you know, how can you tell if your bullet is not making it to the target in the correct size/shape ? thanks.

Proud White Man !!!!!
M WAITE, AZ.

I have not heard of a problem of powerbelts coming apart before they reach the target, only when they hit the target. This is a very controversial subject. Do a search under Powerbelts and you will see what I mean. However, powerbelts are the only conical my Omega will shoot, so I have hunted with powerbelts in the past, and will probably use them in the future. I just think there are conicals that hold together better when they strike a deer or elk.

To restate what I believe: A powerbelt driven at 90-100 grains of powder will hold together as well or better and may outpenetrate a bullet driven at 150 grains. I do not have any scientific evidence to present, just my opnion based on personal accounts and research.

Can you not use sabots where you will be hunting? If so, I would have to believe that they would be a better choice if pushed that hard.

txhunter58

Iam all for using less powder- it would be cheaper for me to do so. I have the powerblets so thats what I am using I don't have neough money to be buying different types, sizes, styles of bullets right now. I have only ever shot 130, thats all. if they will shoot 250 yards with 100- I am all for that. I guess I am still confused- if your bullet hits and animal, and kills that animal humanely- why does it matter what happens to the bullet ? you all don't use them again do you ? as long as the animal you are shooting at is down and dead quickley and humanely- who cares what happened to the bullet ? or is it just me ? I am going to be shooting my new paltnium .338's today and see what happens. I have 5 bullets that came with the gun, and 40-50 of those lead buffalo bullets at 225 grains with the yellow plastic seal on the bottoms. it is just that with those other 2 bullets I about freaking killed myself and bent my pushrod trying to get them in the barrel- bullets should NOT be that hard to load right ? I mean maybe they won't come out ?

Proud White Man !!!!!
M WAITE, AZ.

Powerbelts are fine. I'll never take shoulder shots again. I took ONE shoulder shot last year and while gutting it, that 385 grain hornady bullet was mushroomed on the other shoulder. The bullet also missed all vital organs and only blew its wind pipe apart. The 295 and 245 powerbelts ive used over the years, All of them were double lung, pass through shots that dropped the deer in their tracks. Two of the deer i shot with 150 grains pyrodex rs and a 295 powerbelt and the 245 powerbelt. Total pass thru on both shots. Im using a 225 grain aerotip powerbelt this year in my .45 and im confident it will pass through just like all the others ive shot.

txhunter58,
Did you ever try the hornady great plains bullets in the muzzleloader? if so what were the results? I have some to try in my black diamond if it ever cools down enough here to go to the range before elk season :D

Yes, I tried some 410 grain great plains bullets. Shot OK in my T/C renegade, but not nearly as well as the T/C maxiballs.

However, they did not group well at all in my Omega.

txhunter58

"I am still confused- if your bullet hits and animal, and kills that animal humanely- why does it matter what happens to the bullet ? you all don't use them again do you ? as long as the animal you are shooting at is down and dead quickley and humanely- who cares what happened to the bullet ?

A very good point! So many people say a bullet "failed" when the animal died in short order.

And I have NO doubt that powerbelts will kill an animal quickly and cleanly when you shoot broadside and get a double lung shot. Then it doesn't matter what the bullet does, in fact, if it comes apart in the lungs, it might do its job faster. I know a guy that usually kills a 6x6 bull every year with 110 grains 777 and a 295 powerbelt. But his shots are broadside at less than 50 yards at a wallow.

However, in case the elk I am shooting at turns at the last minute and I strike the shoulder, I want to be sure that the bullet will stay together and punch through to the other side. Great plains bullets (as given as an example above) are a bullet that has a track record of staying together.

And as far as exerimenting with different bullets, powerbelts, especially the platinums are the most expensive bullet I have tried. It really doesn't cost that much to invest in a couple of other boxes of bullets to see how they shoot.

And yes, todays muzzleloaders are capable of shooting accurately beyond 200 yards, the question is are you? That is to be determined. I am not. You may well be. Just find your limits and stick to them.

txhunter58

I see what you mean, thanks man !!!!!
I'll let you know what I come up with as I should have it figured out here pretty soon unless this lightining (sp) gets any closer. it was 107 degrees today and even though it says we are in the "monsoons" not one- NOT 1 damn drop-o-rain has fell at my home in over 7 months now ! drought my but this is an act of god !

Proud White Man !!!!!
M WAITE, AZ.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom