Question for the masses

hoyt1cam2002

Danny, a very good friend of mine who is severely disabled, wants to go on a Utah deer hunt and I couldn't be more thrilled that he's going to give it a shot. Despite being a Dallas Cowboys fan, he really is about as good as they come.
Here's the scenario we are looking at. Danny qualifies for a season extension as well as a permit to shoot from a vehicle. He will get the enormous opportunity to hunt a few days before the general season begins (but) with no use of his lower extremities and limited use of his hands, he will strictly be confined to shooting from a vehicle, this is where I am reaching out to those of you who know a lot more than I do.
Trying to settle in on a unit to apply for is proving to be more difficult than anticipated. The one drawback to the early extension is that I believe it does overlap the general elk season so areas with populations of deer and elk will still more than likely receive heavy pressure on the roads. If given the opportunity, it will probably take a considerable amount of time just to get a deer in the scope
In a nut shell, looking for suggestions on areas with good road access and little if any competition from elk hunters. It doesn't make any difference how hard it gets hit once the general season begins as his hunt will more less be over by then. Really, just looking for any advice. Good bad or indifferent
Please feel free to PM any suggestions. I would greatly appreciate any input and hope to help get him out for an awesome adventure.

The south slope vernal unit would fit your needs, only problem is it takes 3 preference points to draw.

I’d be buying him points now. Or put in for a lesser unit to draw sooner. Some units can be drawn with 0-1 points that offer great road hunting options, especially with the disabled earlier dates.... depending on the size of deer he’s after, you could be done the first 10 minutes of the hunt if size isn’t your goal. Some general units are more “deer” country than “elk” country. And being that way, will have less elk hunters. Some areas will be completely void of elk hunters and you’d have the mountain to yourself for a couple days.

Hey Hoyt,
You might try contacting some of the groups that take out handicapped hunters and veterans (wheeling sportsman). I used to help with these hunts and they had some amazing off road wheelchairs with tracks. Helped guys get back off the road to blinds and what not. They might loan you one or help you put together a good hunt. Good luck to you guys.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom