Question from a muzzle loading newbie

COtroutbum

Howdy all! Long time bow hunter here that is dipping his toe into muzzle loader hunting and is having some issues with loads and sighting in. Live and hunt Elk in Colorado and recently purchased a "CO legal" CVA accura mountain rifle. After a bunch of research I settled on Blackhorn 209 and am trying several different bullet types. This weekend I took the gun out and was trying loads between 90-100 gr by vol of Blackhorn with 350gr powerbelts and fed core locks, and every thing was grouping well at 100 yds but consistently hitting 12-16 inches low. After adjusting the elevation on the peep to its almost max I was still hitting over foot low at 100yds (6 shots in a 3-4 circle.

I know this isn't much info to go off and there are probably a ton of variables, but is this an "arrow or indian" thing? Could there be a fundamental issue with the elevation on the sight, or as a newbie am I missing something obvious? I didn't weigh out the charges precisely so that could be part of it, but would a small variablity in charge affect elevation that much if my groupings were still "decent" and on the paper? Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like you need a taller back sight or a shorter front sight. Also, it’s always a good idea to load test with a scope then take it off (if you have to) for the hunt. One less variable. You should be able to do much better than 3-4” groups at 100.

For my education- what is the drop profile on a load like that?
Not sure, but 12+ inches at 100yds doesn't seem right. Maybe I have this wrong, but I was holding spot on covering the target with the fiber optic, and not a "6 oclock" hold so wouldnt that tend to be a "higher" shot on the target?

As stated, you need a taller back sight or shorter front sight. Pretty common problem really. I doubt there is anything wrong with your gun or bullets. 6 shots in 4” with open sights isnt that bad. Plenty good for hunting. That is only 2” from your point of aim in any direction.

I would check with Williams gun sight directly and see if you can get a taller rear peep. They make them but dont know if they sell them separately. Finding shorter front May be harder to do. Check with Brownells.

In the past, I have shimmed my rear Williams peep with a refrigerator magnet. Other people used aluminum soars can shims.

Just shim the rear sight will save you time and money. I had to do the same thing with my optima and brother with his accura.
Yep. it's easy. Just use a pepsi can and cut a shim to fit. Put it under the back sight.
I had to do this with a scope on a muzzleloader a few years ago.

Howdy all! Long time bow hunter here that is dipping his toe into muzzle loader hunting and is having some issues with loads and sighting in. Live and hunt Elk in Colorado and recently purchased a "CO legal" CVA accura mountain rifle. After a bunch of research I settled on Blackhorn 209 and am trying several different bullet types. This weekend I took the gun out and was trying loads between 90-100 gr by vol of Blackhorn with 350gr powerbelts and fed core locks, and every thing was grouping well at 100 yds but consistently hitting 12-16 inches low. After adjusting the elevation on the peep to its almost max I was still hitting over foot low at 100yds (6 shots in a 3-4 circle.

I know this isn't much info to go off and there are probably a ton of variables, but is this an "arrow or indian" thing? Could there be a fundamental issue with the elevation on the sight, or as a newbie am I missing something obvious? I didn't weigh out the charges precisely so that could be part of it, but would a small variablity in charge affect elevation that much if my groupings were still "decent" and on the paper? Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated!
I bought an Accura MRX in June and had the exact same problem. I just moved the sight up past the max (beyond the marker lines) and it has been consistent for me, but I went ahead and ordered a different sight setup for it as a more permanent fix.

Also, for what it's worth... after spending way too much money on a variety of different bullets to try, I wish I would have done a little more research before buying all of them and wish I would have bought the Thor 300s sooner. Best bullet I've tried hands down.

If you use soda cans shims, cut/prepare at least 2. Try one first, but may need 2

And it’s possible you might need longer screws.

Also look into marble front ramp base for Lyman globe front sight. Lee shaver inserts. Will give a much better sight picture than front pin/post obscuring what you are trying to shoot. Running a bit short on time for wholesale changes...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom