Question on Garmin 530HCx polling range

B

beartracks

My hunting partner and I are considering the Garmin 530HCx for wilderness backpack hunting. The polling feature seems like a nice idea for those nights when your pal is late back to camp.

My question though is what is the real effective range of the polling feature when you are hunting in the timber? My understanding is that the polling uses the FRS channels and I would be concerned that the range might limit the usefulness of this feature. I don't mind spending a premium on good gear, but it has to work. If the range is limited, I'd probably opt for keeping the GPS separate and buy good radios instead.

Any advice?

Thanks,

BT

I have three Rino 530's that were made the year before the HCx reciever was put in them. I know that the HCx receiver has some serious performance improvements over my old models so theoretically the polling should be much faster and more accurate.

Overall the polling features is good to have. I thought the polling used FRS/GMRS based off what channel you were using at the time but that is an assumption, I will have to confirm. The polling is as dependable as your radio/GPS signal. If you are in thick cover it may take you a time or two to get the poll to complete. If you are in more open country and have good radio reception the polling is fast and accurate.

On my Rinos I had to get the software update and fixes because one of the issues I kept having with only one of the radios is I would poll my dad's location, the radio would state "position updated", and my dad's icon would stay in the same location. I hiked nearly two miles while polling him occasionally to make sure I was still heading right. I finally get to where my radio had him located and couldn't find him. I then called him on the radio and his icon automatically refreshed and he was a mile away from me, we had basically crossed paths.

I had this problem twice with that same radio before I got the software update, have not had that problem since but I am still not 100% trusting of that radio. The other two radios have given me trouble free polling.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

Have the same pre HCX models and the polling will come through more often then the actual conversation. As long as you press the mic for a few seconds it will read the polling position. I highly recommend these radios. We use them everywhere. Make sure you use the chargable battery as often as you can. It will give you 5 watts of power over 2 watts with regular batteries. We have never had any problems with these radios since moving to the 530 series. Have used them in all terrains with no problems. The only downfall if you want to call it that is you give up your position to others using Rino's- cannot have it all! Hope this helps? Good Luck, Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom