Question on the .338-200g. bullet

B

BugleminToday

I went to a recent gun show and picked up 3 boxes of Winchester 200 grain Ballistic tip bullets for $50.00. Each box is usually 35.00 from cabelas so I took advantage of the deal.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had ever used these bullets and what you thought of them ? I know that these bullets...even though ballistic tips...were not made for deer sized animals. And are made to expand just as you would want it for Elk purposes. But is there anything else ?

Oh yeah, I am shooting a 26 inch barreled Browning a-bolt stainless stalker with boss.

Justin

- Long-Range, The next best thing to being there !!!!

http://www.winchester.com/ammunitio...BRDAtbm9uZStBQ1ktYnVsbGV0dHlwZStBRDAtbm9uZQ==

I shot a whitetail with this load a couple of years ago...I made the mistake of hitting it in the front shoulder (solid bone). The deer flew 10 feet when hit...impressive...but I lost alot of meat.

I bought the 200 grain in an attempt to get more range...after years of shooting the 250 grain Fed Safari (NP), I wanted lessen the significant drop the 338 has beyond 400 yards. The poor deer was a 50 yard shot...never did complete the experment.

The bullet you bought should work fine on everything but brown bear...I'd stick with the 250-300 grain loads for those critters.

That is exactly what I was thinking Gutpile...

But I will be using it to shoot multiple hogs at once, as well as an elk this year.

Anyone else got info ?

Justin

I have used the ballistic in my 338 in both 200 and 180gr although I needed to reload the 180s

I have shot 6 bulls with them and one cow I think the ballistic worked great

The ballistic has a heaver case in the 338 then say a 30 cal and it holds together a little better

I have only needed more then one shot on one elk and I think it wasnt really needed but you know how elk get

I have only used two other bullets a partition and a black talon but they didnt shoot as well out of my gun so I have gon with the ballistic

I will be using a 200gr ballistic for my Oryx hunt in New mexico this up coming Jan and I am shure it will do great

I hope you find a BIG Bull to test these bullets with I am shure with a well placed shot you will only need to let the smoke clear once

P.S I have also used this round on deer and antalope with the 338 and it work well also but the was a little too much for the antalope

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy Ut

You need to find out how old they are, when they first came out I bought two hundred of them worked up a load and went hunting that fall.

I put two rounds through a 4x4 muley at 250 yards and I thought I had totally missed him. My brother was watching through a spotting scope and said he seen the buck flinch twice when I shot, we finally found him with two neet little holes in one side and out the other.

Had the same result during the elk hunt, long story short I took them back and the dealer found out that that nosler had the same trouble with an entire run of the early ballistic tips.

They were super accurate though Iv'e just been scared to try them again.

Mulehound.

Mulehound,
is there someplace on the box I can check to see what year or whatever it is ? The boxes do not look too old..

I could not understand what the problem was with the bullets you bought...but in your post you did write that it made two little " neat " holes in the carcass on each end...right ? Shouldnt Ballistic Tips blow up or whatever ?

Justin

They didn't expand at all you could push a small wood dowel straight through from one side to the other. Since I replied to your post the first time I talked to a friend who shoots them all the time no problems, maybee I will have to give them a try again.

I don't have any of the boxes I took them back when I pulled the bullets.

Mulehound.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom