Question to the SWF

N

nockemdown

Maybe Troy can answer this? Below is the email I recieved from the office of tourism and I am wanting to share to everybody. I am curious if everybody knows that the SWF recieves tax dollars to cover the cost of advertising for the conservation expo. WHAT DOES EVERYBODY THINK ABOUT THE SWF USING UTAH TAX MONEY TO ADVERTISE THE CONSERVATION EXPO? Thanks for the comments.

As the government records representative for the Governor's Office of Economic Development in which the Utah Office of Tourism resides I am pleased to provide you the information you requested about funding that has been provided from the Tourism Marketing Performance Fund (TMPF) to the Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife (SFW) organization which puts on the annual Western Hunting & Conservation Expo. As you may know, Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife is a non-profit organization and has received funding from the TMPF.

Hopefully, this information will provide you with the detail you need. If you find it necessary to file a formal GRAMA (state information request) we estimate that it will take three hours at $60 per hour to gather and review the required documentation and another $30 in copying and preparation expenses, for a total cost of $240. This amount would need to be paid in advance and if it is more than actual cost to produce we would refund the balance, if it is less we would bill you the additional cost when supplying the documents.

The following award information seems to meet your current inquiry about TMPF funding to SFW:

In 2006, SFW applied to our co-op program and was awarded $100,000 to promote the 2007 show to out-of-state visitors.

In 2007, SFW applied to our co-op program and was awarded $100,000 to promote the 2008 expo to out-of-state visitors.

In 2008, SFW applied to our co-op program and the application was rejected by our board. SFW then requested a grant from remaining TMPF dollars set aside for Special Opportunities. In a noticed public board meeting, the board recommended that SFW receive the $100,000 as a grant to be used to promote the 2009 expo to out-of-state visitors.

In 2009, SFW sent in a written proposal requesting $85,000 as a grant from the TMPF. The board awarded $75,000 to promote the 2010 expo.

In 2010, SFW sent a written proposal requesting $75,000 as a grant from the TMPF. The board awarded $70,000 to promote the 2011 expo.

In 2011, SFW sent a written proposal requesting $70,000 as a grant from the TMPF to promote the 2012 expo. The board will consider that request in June.

Each time SFW applied for funds from the co-op or as a grant, they were required to provide information in writing about how they would use the money to promote the event to out-of-state visitors. Each time funds were awarded, a contract or MOU was signed which required SFW to implement the proposed marketing plan and also submit a final report detailing the results of their marketing efforts with any information available in regards to economic impact, attendance data, out-of-state visitors, room nights, etc. Each time SFW was awarded funds by our board, it was done in a noticed public meeting.

Sincerely,

Michael

Michael G. Sullivan
Director of Communications
Governor's Office of Economic Development
324 South State, 5th Floor, SLC 84111

I didn't know that, but it seems like those boys are a sharp bunch for taking efforts to reduce costs like everyone else. Hopefully it was tree hugger/wolf lovers that paid them taxes ;-)

Maybe nowcomedown was saying we should have used the money to benefit something other than wildlife. I am sure the genealogy convention could have used more advertising money.

I still don't get putting down organizations dedicated to helping improve a sport you take part in. The state of Utah needs to reinvest in habitat we have let dilapidate for decades. SFW among others has listed millions of dollars in improvements over the last few years. Are the complaints about investing because it doesn't serve individuals in the short term?

Looks like they followed a process that's available and outlined to any organization and the state awarded the funds. I don't see any issue. If it was my tax dollar being spent I'd rather see it go there than to some other event. I'm sure local business owners didn't mine the boost in the economy.

No way if this is true I want Don's and all SFW's heads on a platter for public view! WAFJ!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some people have to much time on thier hands.

Dig a little deeper you might find that sometimes Don and his crew ware dirty underware.

I would think it's a win win situation. Sportsmen didn't have to spend 75-100K for advertising. The state got more tax revenue and people to come visit SLC which generated a couple million. Hopefully, people who hunt or don't hunt had a great time, and got to visit SLC. Maybe they will come back and spend money as well.
Thanks to the expo, our local government has a better understanding that hunting and fishing activities are big business for Utah. Utah better protect this great asset and tradition of hunting.

My problem is the same problem I have with most of the other things they do. They are quick to point out how much they spend in overhead, which most of us would assume advertising for there expo. Now they never said they didn't get money from the tax payer to cover the cost of advertising, they were happy to let us thing that they were covering it. My guess is there are a lot of little secrets like this that is keeping them from wanting to put out there COMPLETE financial books in WHOLE. Its not that they did anything wrong, they just like to keep a lot in the dark.

Why would you post a question to SWF?? or maybe SFW ;-) on MM wouldn't you ask SFW??

littlebeaver.jpg

a32_cleaners.jpg

Whether you like SFW or not or agree with the expo permits, the expo and the dollars it poors into Utahs economy is a good thing for Utah Tax payers.

Although I dont always support the ways that SFW generates money and how they account for the spending of that money, I think its great they get TMPF funds to support the expo. I would much rather have these TMPF funds going to support a hunting show then almost any of the the events it goes too.

I say thumbs up on this one to SFW for securing other forms of advertising funding and hopefully making sure more of the money they raise is going directly to support wildlife.

You know, I would rather have my income tax refunded, or never taken out to begin with. Not that I can change that, but it does irk me that $$ forcefully taken out of my paycheck is paying for nonsense like this. I'm not putting SFW down. More power to them for working the system, but this is another example of how the State tax $$ out of my paycheck to give away to things that I would rather not fund. There are other ways to pay for the advertising than use my tax dollars. If the State has excess to spend on things like this, then give the $$ back in my pocket, or don't take it to begin with.

Now that is a conservative view point from a person who is tired of being taxed. The State of Utah continues to have one of the highest tax rates in the Union. Give me my $$ back instead of spending it on frivolous unneeded things. Yes, you can argue that some of the $$ paying for the advertising goes back into the economy from getting people to atend the Expo, but that is not where I want my $$ going. It is a matter of spending for wants not necessities. Like I said, the advertising can surely be paid for another way, like through the mount of $$ they get through admission. And I am sure there are a # of other ways. Give me my $$ back rather than spend it on stuff like this! My complaint here is with the State, not with SFW. And no, I disagree with the statement that somebody had too much time on their hands to look at this. Taxpayers need to know where their $$ is being spent.

I see them as a leech... Taking tax payer dollars to promote the expo that they use to put more money in their pockets.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Thanks for the responses, and no I do not have a lot of time on my hands, what free time I have is spent looking at things like this because I feel that its wrong. Serving the interests and needs of sportsmen and wildlife is very important I agree. What I do not agree with is the fact that Don is securing tax funds for an expo that generates millions of dollars anually. And yes I feel that there are better things that the state could be issuing grants for. Like education for one, maybe even into advertising for youth programs to promote outdoor activities. I just feel that when the SWF was founded, its core ideas were great, but its turned into a money making giant that has worked the system to push out the average hunter or fisherman to promote the SWF's own agenda.

I would love to hear more comments on this.

nockemdown, You said it exactly right. Initially they were a great organization that did great things for wildlife and ALL sportsmen. Now, they are a bunch of good ole' boys with money that couldn't care less about the average hunter.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom