Question to you turkey hunters!

buglinbilly

Very Active Member
I was out trying to take some photos this morning of turkeys strutting and I ran into a group that was really too far off to get any good photos, so I just waited and watched, hoping they would come closer.

While I was watching, one of the toms that was strutting around moved off to the side as I watched the main flock.

When I looked over at him, he was standing in a very funny posture, so I picked up the binos to watch him and noticed he was standing on top of hen. He stood on top of her for almost 20 minutes. He never tried to breed her while I was watching and she was just laying on the ground with her head up.

The first photo is his posture that drew my attention and you can see her head sticking up and him standing on her.

I am sorry the photo is so poor, but hopefully one of you can answer my question, as I know so little about turkeys

Is this normal? Have any of you seen this before? And why do they do that.

After that long period, he walk away and she got up, shook a bit and then joined the main flock which ended up coming much closer than they were when this happened.

Thanks for any help, and good luck to all of you who turkey hunt. BB

151916.jpg

And here's a couple I took when they got closer.

9359911.jpg

6227912.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-01-16 AT 06:03PM (MST)[p] See em do it a few times!

Seen a Tom on top of a Hen that was sitting on a Nest as well!

How all of the Eggs didn't get Broke I don't know?

After they get on top of the Hen,They Massage the Hens Back & wait for her to Lift Her Tail so they can Mate!

EDIT:These Toms this time of Year think they are 10' Tall & Bullet Proof!

[font color="blue"]They Shot Him in the Back AKA 'LaVoyed Him'!
[/font]

First, great pic's. Second my guess is that while the Tom's
and Jakes are ready maybe the hens aren't quite there yet.

We've had snow here the last several Days!

I Think them Tom's are trying to warm their Feet up!:D:D:D

[font color="blue"]They Shot Him in the Back AKA 'LaVoyed Him'!
[/font]

What you saw there is the actual mating of turkeys. With birds, there is no insertion. The tom positions his organ over that of the hen, and his seed is dropped onto the hen's genitalia. Or something like that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom