quieting my bow

BigPig

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-04 AT 11:02AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-04 AT 11:00?AM (MST)

What else can I do to quiet my bow inexpensively? I have a PSE Beast and it shoots pretty good, its just loud. What else can I do without too much expense? I shoot with a realease if it matters.

Everything is tight, I have checked that. The noise does not seem to be coming from any particular place. I think it is just overall vibration of the bow. I have the Simms Limb Savers stuck on the inside of the limbs a few inches from each end. The 2, cat whisker type, string silencers are tied on about 3" from each cam. I do have a stabilizer and I have a cable guard with a slide. It has a tunable, Cavalier two prong rest with the little slide on plastic silencer thingys. Hope that helps explain my set up. I know I am comparing Cadillacs to Pintos but next to my friends Hoyt Ultratec, my boy is a lot louder. I'm just looking for something I might be able to do easily and without spending too much. I bought this just as a beginner bow. I will be upgrading soon so I dont want to put too much money into it.

I looks like you've done about all you can, short of buying a new bow. You may want to look at a heavier arrow. If you're shooting a super-light arrow it may seem to "twang" like a dry-fire. Heavy arrows may absorb some of the vibration. Just a thought.

Good idea but I dont think that is the prob either. I am shooting 29" Blackhawk Vapor 4000 with 125gr heads. My bow is at 68 lbs.

Just one more thought, if you shoot with your quiver on, take the foam out of it and line it with fleece then place it back in. This helps quiet things down a bit more. I find that a lot of noise comes from attachments. I have also place fleece under all the things I have attached to my bow where I can...sights, rest etc. Try that and see if it helps. The post about shooting a heavier arrow is also a good suggestion. I shoot a PSE as well and they seem to be notorious for having that PSE twang. Good luck and happy hunting. >>>------>Sixgunn<------<<<

Nathan:

Simms also makes slip-on silencers for your cable guard (rod); they come 2/package. Try them jammed next to each other in different positions on the rod (I've got mine up close right next to the riser) ...

Lv2hnt

BigPig, This is funny. I have everything you have on the bow I shoot. I also have a Beast. I bought it 4 yrs ago to see if I like archery hunting and love it. I was looking into buying a new bow but figured if it ain't broke dont fix it. Only difference is this I shoot Beman's ICS 400 with a 100 gr. Broadheads and field points.
I feel noise is not a factor if you get in close and put a arrow in the sweet spot. I have taken 3 nice mulies a cow elk and a bear with mine. Farthest shot was 40 yds. Closest was 10 yds. The noise never made a difference once the arrow hit it's mark. I shot and missed a bull last year at 15 yds. I stopped him 3 times before I shot again and hit a tree right in his vitals. So I dont think the noise really bothered him all that much. I missed at 15 yds because he screamed at me at 45 yds looking right at me and this is the first time I had ever got buck fever. I thought he would hear my heart beat. I also didnt do a follow threw. I dropped my bow the second I released
to watch it hit him.
But good luck with trying to quiet it down more. I never paid attention to the noise. I just hunt and feel as long as I get close enough then the noise never matters.
fca2e9e9.jpg

Supersider, nice to know that there is someone out there having success with the same bow. My concern was that the bow might make an animal duck the string. I don't want to shoot out past 30 yards but even at that range an animal could jump at the noise and cause a bad hit.

I think I am going to install some string leaches, and a silencer on the cable guard. We'll see where that gets me.

Shooting at 30 yards ... if your bow is shooting 250' per second I dont think you need to worry about the sound... Just my opinion.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-04 AT 08:07PM (MST)[p]If the animal is not already ready for danger then the noise wont matter. But if it is all spooky and at 30 yds then if it is not a perfect shot I would pass. Better to leave them alive for another day than wound it and lose it.
Oh yean all the stuff you are installing on it takes away from the speed. I dont have nothing on my strings. I just reread your post. The only difference from yours to mine.
What is your draw length? Mine is 30" and at 68 pds it is shooting with my set up at 272 fps.

fca2e9e9.jpg

I have been shooting a beast now for almost five years. Just like you I bought it to give bow hunting a try and I love mine. My bow has split limbs and I have the string leachs other than that we're shooting the same set up. I have never felt that my bow is noisey and I have shot next to people who shoot the top of the line bows. The only other thing I can think of is the pse NV system. I have never shot with one but I know a guy who says it made a big differance on his bow. I'd take it to a pro-shop and get some help from them. Good luck.

I do not know what kind of stabilizer you have but the Doinker stabilizer has worked very well at reducing noise on my PSE which was equiped almost identical to yours.

Some bows are a lot louder than others. I personally like the Mathews because they have the dampeners right in the frame. Just my 2 cents. The more you add to the bow string etc. the slower you shoot.

I just had the Simms Xtreme Limbsaver System installed on the limb bolts of my Mathews LX. Simms advertizes that they are more effective than anything else at reducing bow vibration. The Simms are also more effective than the similar PSE system. I removed the stabilizer and it still balances well. More importantly, the vibration, and jump and noise is noticeably reduced. This is not a cheap fix($70), but well worth it IMO.
In regards to fast bows, sound still travels 4 times faster than the arrow, and it amazes me how fast those deer, even elk, can react, i.e. jump the string, before the arrow reaches them. This can be seen by watching all those hunting shows on the Outdoor Channel.
Check your sight and quiver , as it may vibrate alot and make noise. A small Limbsaver or two attached to the sight and quiver may help. Heed the notice about the quiver hood acting as a resonating chamber.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom