Rabbit Ebola

We've noticed a big crash in bunny population over the past 4 yrs or so. Tularemia came through then the rabbit hemorrhagic fever, and whatever else. Haven't had a bountiful bunny hunt during this time. This year we have noticed a few more bunnies compared to previous years so hoping we can get a few more out there to make some stew this winter.

Rabbits around my place, both Cottontail and Jacks are doing good right now. Southern Utah.

I have had years where I did not even have to mow the lawn, their were so many rabbits they kept it looking like a golf green.

When rabbit numbers are low it puts a lot of pressure on other wildlife including Deer.

Rabbits do have fluctuations in populations. We are just on the backside of a 3 yer boom. A couple of years ago you couldn’t hardly get out of our long driveway without running over one.

I'm ashamed of all the jacks I shot 40 years ago. Kids today wouldn't believe how many rabbits there used to be.

I see more snowshoes than jacks/cottontails combined. :confused:

The little brush rabbits that live in the thick stuff of northwest Kali is where I honed my deer hunting skills as a kid. They only came out early mornings or evening or in the rain. And they only ventured out of the brush a short distance. At the first sign of danger they would zip back out of sight. They taught me how to stalk and how to make one shot kills with the .22. I feed them scrap lettuce and spinach now.

Yup!

40 Years ago!

At that Time all Farmers around here had the Small Square Bales & Stacks!

The Black Jacks were So Thick they Ringed the Hay Stacks & Quite a few Hay Stacks Timbered!

Most Younger people Ain't got a Clue of how many there were!

Anybody Remember the Jack Rabbit Round-Ups?

(((They Were Not PETA Approved!)))

I'm ashamed of all the jacks I shot 40 years ago. Kids today wouldn't believe how many rabbits there used to be.

I see more snowshoes than jacks/cottontails combined. :confused:

Idaho always had an issue when I was growing up. You could shoot a limit in about an hour.
They used to go out and have huge rabbit hunts to thin the herd so to speak......... We helped all we could

Yup!

40 Years ago!

At that Time all Farmers around here had the Small Square Bales & Stacks!

The Black Jacks were So Thick they Ringed the Hay Stacks & Quite a few Hay Stacks Timbered!

Most Younger people Ain't got a Clue of how many there were!

Anybody Remember the Jack Rabbit Round-Ups?

(((They Were Not PETA Approved!)))

Like this?

Well cast!

The Dust Bowl was way worse I'm sure!

But the BlackJack days I Speak of will probably never be seen again!

TOO MANY TARDS WITH TOO MANY BULLETS NOW DAYS!:D

I have always heard that rabbit populations were an indicator of deer populations, more rabbits means less predators so more deer. This situation is obviously different, I guess one philosophy is no rabbits so the predators will put more pressure on deer, on the other hand no rabbits might mean a lot of predators will starve to death, or at least have smaller litters. Any one ever noticed any correlation between the two populations?

Mark

Great times and memories of rabbit drives in South Dakota during the winters in the 60's and 70's. We would have a lot of hunters and would do mile squares push the rabbits until they start running between us to get out the circle we would turn and shoot them after them passed out of the circle. Some weekend's we would get several hundred of them. Sell the fur and then the rabbit meat to a Mink farm so they could grind it up and feed the ranch mink.

I remember driving through central Utah during boom cycles and the highway was paved with flattened fur.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom