Raffle tule elk

nickman

Long Time Member
This is the first ever, California "raffle" tag for Owens Valley tule elk bull.

Hayward Cloud, a regular working stiff, from Napa, took this nice Owens Valley bull after 2 days of scouting and looking at several animals.

Don't ask me what it "scores".....he doesn't care and neither do I. It was a fun hunt and I made a new friend.

The old guy is nickman, who guided the hunt.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/4483100_1861.jpg

".....but by God, I never said a word to a pig!"

Great Bull!!

He appears to be pretty clean.. I.E. not all broken up! I used to work down there and always loved the country... there were some stud bulls. Alot of them were broken up though. F&G was doing a study around that time to figure it out. I do not recall their findings but this bull looks great.

Congrats to Hayward!

Nice bull, from the picture it looks like it has tripods on each top. Or is that just the way it looks in the picture? I hope I get to draw a Tule tag before I am to old to hunt.

Bill

Sweet looking bull. The Owens Valley has always held a special place in my heart.
Congrats on a beautiful trophy.

Eldorado

Very nice nickman....you are my man when the tag arrives

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Way to go Hayward!! You claim the first raffle ticket, get the best guide and drop the hammer on opening day.It seems like this is your year. Can you spread some of your luck to the rest of us!!!

Thanks for the pic,Now I know to never put in for that unit if thats as big of a bull you can get being the first hunter with a rifel.

Nice bull Nickman, I see why you haven't been able to locate that map for me yet. You been to busy hunting elk to get in the garage and look. Honestly though that is a fine bull and your generosity is unbeleivable. You are truly a fine sportsman.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-11 AT 09:02AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-11 AT 09:00?AM (MST)

Well, I knew there would be some opinionated retard that would have no clue. You get a tag....YOU shoot what YOU want.

There are MANY larger racked bulls here. The hunter chose this one for conformity, looks, lack of busted points and body size, .....which was HUGE for this species.

This animal is a clean 7x7....I'll find another pic later, I should have made sure it was more clearly countable.....but I didn't take the pic.

It may come as a shock to you, but there is still no known printed recipe for antler "meat".

He had several opportunities at larger bulls, easier stalks and recovery, but this is the one HE wanted and that is the whole point.

And for the record, I did not charge him a dime for the guided hunt, as many on this site are aware....I seldom do this for anything but the giggles.

That is a very nice bull and has classic tule antler characteristics. Score is just a score, some people care and some people do not. As long as he had a good time and it sounds like he did then what does a single artificial system based on a preconceived notion of what an animal should be matter. I do not think a successful hunt should be based on some silly "score". Some of my best and most memorable hunts scored zero, yet I still won the game. Congrats to the hunter and that is a nice elk to say the least.

Joe

Nice job, guys. I have put long stalks on lesser animals and end up shooting those animals due to the work and effort put in. I'm not a trophy hunter so I don't necessarily want or need to shoot the largest animal on the mountain. The experience is the most important thing. I admire guys that will appreciate the hunt for the hunt rather than feeling embarrassed about the size of the animal they shot. I can see why a guy with this tag would hold out....its a great tag. To each his own is the perfect saying for this post.

Nickman- One of these days you'll be guiding me for something up there. I'm just hoping when you do, you're still drinking Bud Light instead of some expensive Champagne or Tequila!! LOL

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

Nickman sure can dish it but he cant take it, I am gona follow you around on ever retarded remark you make on someone else's post and remind you how retarded you can be.

Really your gonna follow him around and post on him. I haven't seen him dis anybody in the past. I don't know him other than by the forum and a few e-mails we have had. He seems to always offer some help whether it is info or taking part in the hunt. He has offered to help me with some info and I'am greatful that he has. Unlike so many others on here at times that basically tell you to pound sand. Just enjoy the pics and be happy for someone elses success.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-11 AT 01:14PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/9812dscf1009.jpg
Well here is another look.

This young man is Tanner Cloud. !5 years old, his pants up where they belong and his hat on right.

Had no electronic toys, spent no time on his cell phone and was totally respectful to everyone I introduced him to......and he made an instant impression on them as well.

He is an ardent hunter and anticipated every move both prior to and after his father taking the bull.

He is a credit to his dad and I was seriously impressed by him ....and the path he is on.

By the way, Hayward is a seasoned hunter and has been a taxidermist for many years, so his decision to take this bull was an educated choice.

This raffle tag was pulled from the auction tag system and the hunt date for the bull tag has always started this early.

The auction tags were almost always bought and guided by non resi guys, so we seldom hear about the hunts.

Just as an aside, when the auctions were in play, the bull tag and the open zone deer tag raised about $50k. The raffle took in $140k...so it's a good thing....IN MY OPINION...zero loss of tag availability to rank and file hunters and a chance for everyone, with the raffle system.

I think they should double the raffle tags.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-11 AT 05:29PM (MST)[p] Nickman, I am curious as to what part of the owns valley this bull was located. I have a bull muzzle tag for the bishop unit. I can hardly wait for September 10th!!
By the way, nice Bull!

BT

Good job Don, that's a sweet bull. Don't let those guys give you any //it. The guy with the tag can shoot anything he wants, or he can go home emty handed. That's what's so good about hunting, if you got the tag, you can do it however you want. If you want to pass them all up, looking for a giant, and end up going without, thats O.K. Or you can shoot the first thing that hits your hot button. Like my old man said. Any buck is a good buck! And it goes for Tule bulls too!

Thanks

Brownie

Great job guys! Thats a great looking bull. I hope to get a chance at one like that with my muzzleloader at Fort Hunter Ligget in November.

Rick

Hey Nickman. With all of the clout you have with F&G and the area biologist, do you think you could pressure them for three raffle tags next year?

Don
Great to meet you while I was down there scouting with Jerry and thanks for all your help. I cannot wait to get back down next Thursday. Great job with the raffle tag holder. He looks as happy as can be. Hope you are taking pictures of me and Jerry on the 13th!
Kevin

Glad to hear there are still kids like that out there. Mine is because he knows I will not put up with any %*&#.
Lots of love and just enough fear to keep em guessing!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-11 AT 09:44AM (MST)[p]>Thanks for the pic,Now I know
>to never put in for
>that unit if thats as
>big of a bull you
>can get being the first
>hunter with a rifel.

Not familar with "rifel" hunting 6x7...

Is that a new type of weapon?

Glad your not going to put in for that unit 6x7.. Better odds for us guys that want to shoot those little bulls..

>Well, I knew there would be
>some opinionated retard that would
>have no clue. You get
>a tag....YOU shoot what YOU
>want.

Well Don there always has to be one that tries to rain on the parade.

Nice bull and very kind of you to help him find the bull he wanted. Not alot of people would do that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom