Raffles illegal in Utah? But see Huntin Fool, Epic Outdoors

Crampy

Raffles/lotteries have long been illegal in Utah. Granted, long history of the AG not prosecuting charities and law enforcement organizations.

How is that for-profit raffles by Huntin Fool & Epic Outdoors (et.al.) have continued for so long?

Huntin' Fool is careful not to use the ugly word "raffle". They call it a "membership drive" - and they probably would be allowed if gift was solely awarded randomly among new members that month. But then, HF sells tickets for an exact dollar figure to anyone (e.g., $50 each, 6 for $200).

Epic Outdoors labels them a "giveaway", and you do get ONE free ticket by joining/referring. Again, probably allowed in that context. BUT, then sells a game of chance ticket to anyone. That's not a gift/giveaway, that is selling a ticket to a game of chance.

Utah Code 76-10-1011 bans "any scheme for the disposal or distribution of property by chance among persons who have paid or promised to pay any valuable consideration for the chance."

Nevada is one of the other 5 states with an outright ban on raffles. GoHunt seems to skirt the Nevada ban on raffles/lotteries by not selling any tickets for their giveaways. They literally just gift randomly among all "insiders".

Good question. I imagine there are lots of ways around the rules. For example, I've seen small raffles where they sell you a piece of candy (piece of taffy) for $1 and each piece of candy comes with a free chance to win a price.

Raffles/lotteries have long been illegal in Utah. Granted, long history of the AG not prosecuting charities and law enforcement organizations.

How is that for-profit raffles by Huntin Fool & Epic Outdoors (et.al.) have continued for so long?

Huntin' Fool is careful not to use the ugly word "raffle". They call it a "membership drive" - and they probably would be allowed if gift was solely awarded randomly among new members that month. But then, HF sells tickets for an exact dollar figure to anyone (e.g., $50 each, 6 for $200).

Epic Outdoors labels them a "giveaway", and you do get ONE free ticket by joining/referring. Again, probably allowed in that context. BUT, then sells a game of chance ticket to anyone. That's not a gift/giveaway, that is selling a ticket to a game of chance.

Utah Code 76-10-1011 bans "any scheme for the disposal or distribution of property by chance among persons who have paid or promised to pay any valuable consideration for the chance."

Nevada is one of the other 5 states with an outright ban on raffles. GoHunt seems to skirt the Nevada ban on raffles/lotteries by not selling any tickets for their giveaways. They literally just gift randomly among all "insiders".
Sounds like you should call the State of Utah and discuss it instead of posting on here.

I believe both offer an option to obtain free tickets...I know for sure huntin fool does. If you'd rather skip out on paying $25 per ticket just mail them some index cards with the information they request. That I believe is how they get around the 'raffle' laws. Bottom line...anyone actually paying for tickets you can get for free...sorry.

https://www.huntinfool.com/rules (see section 5e)
(e) Free Mail-In Method: On a 4"x 5.5" postcard in blue ink, hand print your full name, hunter education number (or the Canadian equivalent) with issuing state/province and issuing state/province agency phone number for verification purposes, complete home address including zip code, home telephone number with area code, email address (if available), and the Prize Tier and Title and mail it to: Huntin’ Fool, C/O March 2023 Membership Drive, PO Box 250, Cedar City, UT 84721. Sponsor is not responsible for any lost, incomplete, illegible, late, mutilated, or misdirected entries. Mail-In entries become the exclusive property of Sponsor and none will be acknowledged or returned.

I believe both offer an option to obtain free tickets...I know for sure huntin fool does. If you'd rather skip out on paying $25 per ticket just mail them some index cards with the information they request. That I believe is how they get around the 'raffle' laws. Bottom line...anyone actually paying for tickets you can get for free...sorry.

https://www.huntinfool.com/rules (see section 5e)
(e) Free Mail-In Method: On a 4"x 5.5" postcard in blue ink, hand print your full name, hunter education number (or the Canadian equivalent) with issuing state/province and issuing state/province agency phone number for verification purposes, complete home address including zip code, home telephone number with area code, email address (if available), and the Prize Tier and Title and mail it to: Huntin’ Fool, C/O March 2023 Membership Drive, PO Box 250, Cedar City, UT 84721. Sponsor is not responsible for any lost, incomplete, illegible, late, mutilated, or misdirected entries. Mail-In entries become the exclusive property of Sponsor and none will be acknowledged or returned.
I’d be curious if anyone has ever won one that way. Guessing they are all illegible and not the proper blue ink or card size!

Sounds an awful lot like the expo tag draw. Heck, even sounds like the state draw itself!

I mailed in a stack of postcards to the Full Curl drawing held at the Expo one year.

I walked up to the booth and said, "I mailed in my postcards and am here to pick up my tickets." They handed me a stack, no questions asked. Everybody else was paying hundreds of dollars for their tickets.

I wouldn't do that to a group like RMEF or WSF, but it was hilarious to do it to Full Curl ?

I’d be curious if anyone has ever won one that way. Guessing they are all illegible and not the proper blue ink or card size!
Very possible. An audit could be informative...and while they are super specific on details to make free entries hard; I'd question how legal that is to have such a different standard for paid tickets. I'm sure they had lawyers look at it...but if I can just put my name/number on a ticket in any color ink I want...is it truly legal for them to require hunter ed ID number and phone number in blue ink on a specific size card? Why are those not hard requirements on the paid ticket? Lot of questions on these Utah raffles ?

Very possible. An audit could be informative...and while they are super specific on details to make free entries hard; I'd question how legal that is to have such a different standard for paid tickets. I'm sure they had lawyers look at it...but if I can just put my name/number on a ticket in any color ink I want...is it truly legal for them to require hunter ed ID number and phone number in blue ink on a specific size card? Why are those not hard requirements on the paid ticket? Lot of questions on these Utah raffles ?
They honestly kinda bug me. I’ve been a HF member in the past and am an epic member. I can’t keep straight all the mailers I get from them for different “drives”.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom