Rain gear info needed

HUNT

I will be going on a caribou hunt in Quebec and will be in need of very good rain gear. Would like your input to help me make up my mind. Sounds like a good chance of high winds and rain. Thanks for your time.

HUNT, I use the Helly Hansen Impertech. It is well made, durable, quiet and keeps you dry. It doesn't breathe well, but for heavy rain/wind it does great. I was turned on to it in Alaska. I have also heard good things about Frogg Toggs, but I haven't used them. I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Dave

I'm going to The northwest territories on a caribou hunt. last year I bought cabelas mt050 rain gear. A little bit more pricey than some of the others but well worth it.hope to see your pics this fall good luck.

I've tried several of the newer options with gore-tex or some other similar fabric. They make great claims, but don't keep you dry. Grundens or Helly Hansen make foul weather gear for commercial fishermen...that stuff works. But forget breathability and quietness. It's a toss up between being dry or spending alot of $$ to be stylish and wet. I sometimes wonder if most folks who spend several hundred bucks on the modern stuff just can't bring themselves to admit they, like myself, got snookered. Good luck.

through the years ive tried about every goretex piece on the market and last year i bought some of the rivers west pants and jacket it is the only stuff ive ever worn besides full blown grundens that kept me bone dry,I meen it was raining side ways for two days straight and i stayed bone dry,my buddy had his mt050 on and he was soaked within 2 hours and he could not believe i was still dry.well i couldnt either needless to say he now bought some as well.

I've fished and hunted northern Kebec, way back, and I'll give a simple thumbs-up to Frog Toggs for a cheap ($50-60) set of Sport-Washable, easily faded set of glorified disposable painter's coveralls.
The wind stays out, they shed the rain and snow okay, and they kept my butt warm in some hard-shooting conditions this past fall while on Elk-quest as an outer garment (Wyoming Wind!) Even took the dirt and snags from sneakin' and clamberin' well. No snagging through quite a lot of serious thick crap that I like to HUNT.
They're sufficiently quiet for a slow type like me, and roomy to keep some warm air next to your body without letting it out.
I'll get another set when the current issue becomes too fuzzy and bare from washings, or the camo fades to pale nothing.
Best cheap stuff I've used.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom