Rain Gear,Wool ,hip boots

B

Buck Nuts

Hello all, I have a trip booked for next summer,Grizzly,moose,caribou. I cant wait. I have a question on rain gear.It seems if it's 100% waterproof you will sweat like no other. Does anyone have expeience with Frog Toggs?And what about wool pants.Will I roast in the daytime? Then there is the dreaded hip boots..hard to walk in but essential gear, Could a guy wear the Wiggy's boots and have them be durable? or are they mostly for crossing streams and not tromping thru the ruff stuff. What do you Alaska veterans think?

I used Helly Hansen impertech, we hunted hard for caribou and did alot of walking. It is pretty breathable and waterproof. They are also vented under the arms and upper back, seemed to make things pretty comfortable. I would never hunt in Alaska without it. We were in some real rough weather situations, probably as rough as you can imagine and it worked flawlessly. I also wear wool pants and it seems okay in all weather. If you got awesome raingear , fleece might be an alternative. Light and drys faster then soaked wool. I have never worn the type of boots you said, but they all seem rough on your feet. They are waterproof and not breathable. So look into insoles and bring extra liner socks and wool socks. My feet took a beating on Adak. But I am not sure you are going to get the protection you need from a regular hunting boot. I used a top end Danner boot on my first bear hunt up there and by feet finally got wet. Bring that second skin stuff too for your feet, will add hunting days to your trip, at least make you more comfortable. Blisters are pretty common for rubber boots and hard hunts. I wish you luck and hope it helps......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom