Rain Gear

M

MtnHunter

Looking for a lightweight packable rainsuit for my hunt. The outfitter has told us to have a good lightweight rainsuit that will fit in our backpacks. I've thought about Frogg Toggs , any other sugestions?

I have a Red Ledge jacket that is breathable, lightweight and ran about $40.

I bought a rain suit from Whitewater Outdoors and it has been great. Paid around $250, and it's been worth it-breathable and packable.

My brother and I have Cabelas packable rainsuede. Has done well for us. Less than $200 for the pair.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

My experience with the Cabelas rain suede is different than others. Mine has been not good. It worked one season well but aftter that it has leaked ever since. I don't use it that much anymore. I'm going to try out the Rivers West stuff.

Have you called Cabelas and reported your failure? A lot of times they will replace the item.

txhunter58

Red ledge top and bottom. About $70 total with tax. Heard good things about the MT50 though. PS: Red ledge also comes in it's own stuff sacks.

I have never heard of Red Ledge. Where did you get it? Also, I have trouble beliving that rainproof AND breatheable rainwear can be had for $70. Hope I am wrong.

txhunter58

Sportsmans Warehouse carries it. I saw they have what looks like thier own name on the camo versions now. The material is called TH4 or something like that. Campmor has it on thier site,
www.campmor.com.

How long have you owned it, and have you been in any real downpours with it? Last time I bought a garment with a similar description, the "waterproof coating" (which is how they describe this product) lasted only past the first rain. After that, it leaked badly and I was told by the manufacturer that you had to keep reapplying the finish. Curious if they have improved on that.

txhunter58

No, I haven't been in a really good storm yet. The main reason I picked up mine was the fact that I needed something to pack along that isn't big or bulky. This jacket rolls up to a size about that of a large soup can and is lightweight. It is rather bare-bones with no interior lining other than in the pockets but for the price I paid it has done well, hope this helps.

txhunter,

I haven't bothered to call them about the camo because I've owned if now for 2 yrs and I don't think it'd be worth the hassle to do something about it. Plus I still wear the stuff I just don't count on it for keeping me dry. Plus I would feel guilty about using a product for two years and then asking for a return or exchange..It seemed to work about the first 2-3 times in rain/snow. After that not much at all.

For the money and weight you can't go wrong with the Frogg Toggs.

Just my $ .02

Even after 2 years, I would call them. For the money you paid, it should be waterproof longer than that. I bet they would still send you another pair. I wouldn't feel a bit guilty about it. The pair they sent you was defective.

I bought a pair of shoes from them and after 4 months of wearing them, the soles started coming apart. They issued me 100% credit toward a new pair of shoes. Of course that time I bought a better pair.

txhunter58

I returned a down insulated Goretex waterfowlers jacket and bibs after 3 years of use. They were leaking badly in the taped seams at the shoulders and the crotch area. They said they would not give me full credit but they did give me 1/2 credit which I applied towards a new set.
Cabelas is really good about these things. I was happy with the results.

I'm looking at the net MT050 packable gortex rainwear. it packs really tight and will fit easily into any day pack.
I've heard nothing but great things about this rain wear and It's so quiet you can actually hunt in it.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Browning Pac Jacket and pants...

Theodore Roosevelt once said, "The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value."
logo_pub.jpg

Thanks guys, if I did try an exchange I would opt to buy the MT050 but the price difference would be big enough I'd rather try the Rivers West stuff first.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom