Rain in the Book's

desperatehills

Very Active Member
I have seen on the news a few times recently that Colorado got a bunch rain. Did those storms hit the Book Cliffs also? I am going scouting sept 10th-14th and I am curious what type of weather we can expect. I know, it's weather, expect anything. But whats a normal day out there? We are flying to SLC and renting a SUV so the amount of gear I can take is limited by the plane. If it rains like it did in Colorado I might be sleeping in the SUV. Also where is a good place to buy jetboil fuel between SLC and the Books? We cant fly with it in our luggage.

Been afternoon rain out there pretty regular all summer. Way more than normal. Some of these thunder storms dump quite a bit in a short amount of time. Usually just afternoon showers though. Might be dry as a bone come mid-sept, probably have highs in the the 70's with lows in the 30s, but thats plus or minus depending on the current weather pattern when you come out. Buy your fuel at Cabelas or Sportsmans warehouse in SLC area before heading out.

The roads typically dry out pretty fast with the exception of the puddles in the low spots. I guarantee the rental car company will not be impressed when you return the car even if its dry! The dust never seems to come out.... Lol... Pm me before you leave and I can tell you what the north end roads look like.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Justr nailed it, the book cliffs is one of the few places you can stand in the mud and have a dust storm blow you over

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

Mid September may not be too bad!

I'd still get something that has 4 Wheel Drive even if you never use it!

A good Respirator for early Morning & late Evening may not Hurt either!

I'll take a little Rain over the Dust,but it can be a Slimy SOB!

Make sure the Spare tire has Air in it!

Bring extra Fuel,it's a good drive back to town!

If you like to Road Hunt,bring even more Fuel than that!

It'll be hard to do,but if your hunting the Roaded part I'd try & get Camp set up away from main Roads,unless you like to Inhale?:D

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

It rained a few times when I was down there last summer. Best just to pull over and let it dry out before you continue your scouting because some of those roads get really slick. It was like ice skating going up winter ridge rd...

>How the scouting going.
>
>
I don't head down until Sept 10th. I will scout for 5 days then fly home. I will leave for my hunt the 24th

Just spent the last several days down there. Had a great time and my son killed a stud of a buck with his bow. We always see a lot of bucks down there, but I've been impressed this year with the quality. Good luck on your hunt.... take plenty of extra fuel!

My sister had an archery tag and we just got back from spending a couple days out there. It rained at least once every day we were out there and on our drive out, it rained as hard as I have seen it rain in a long time.

The weather this year out there has been much different than years past with all the water. All the ponds off the side of the road are completely full whereas in some years they are completely dry by the bowhunt in August.

>Just spent the last several days
>down there. Had a great
>time and my son killed
>a stud of a buck
>with his bow. We always
>see a lot of bucks
>down there, but I've been
>impressed this year with the
>quality. Good luck on your
>hunt.... take plenty of extra
>fuel!

Thats Great! Glad to hear the quality is good this year. Can you post a picture of your sons buck? I love to see what I'm looking for.

That thing is beautiful! I hope I do near that well! That buck has great caracter and is certainly above average no matter where you find him.

That a really nice Buck,
Went by the Books yesterday it sure looked like it was getting pounded with rain here and there.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

It went well. We found quite a few bucks (35) the first day and never really put anything else together. We spent the morning of the second day in the roadless area and didn't see a single buck, just bulls screaming there heads off in every draw. We did see 15 does in there. There has to be bucks there, the lightning from the night before may have had them lying low. In the 3+ days I scouted I saw 4 or 5 bucks I would shoot opening day. I think I have a area to start in but I really don't have a backup plan. Hopefully I can figure something out on the Monday and Tuesday before the season.

No. I will come in on the seep ridge rd. I am towing a 24' trailer. While scouting I drove down Hay canyon. Some of the creek crossings would be a little close to the plumbing

Im glad it went well. If you need a back up plan or you get down there and arent finding what your looking for give me a call I'd be happy to share some info with you. 801-647-2977

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom