RAMS(pics)

oldoregon

Very Active Member
howdy everbody! I hope you all had a wondefull christmas!
I went for a little hike (big hike) with my boss and his son today, to do a litlle cougar hunting. We were also hoping to get into some sheep, and we did! It was awesome.... we started hiking at 8:30, and didn't get into the sheep until 2 or 3. So I just got back, and I am really beat, but it was worth it for these awesome pictures! Enjoy!
sheepridge029.jpg

sheepridge032.jpg

sheepridge003.jpg

Hopefully there are no lions in the area because if you can get that close, those rams don't have a chance.

Great pictures.

JB

I did see some lion tracks in the area... I sure hope they dont take the rams! But I think a lion would have a tough time taking these big guys out. If I was a cougar, I would take a yearling ewe... probably a little easier! LOL.

Thanks!

OO-
Sweeet pics for sure.
How the h@ll did you get so close? Even with a high power lens, it stll looks like you could reach out and touch them!
Thanks for sharing.

Lien2

NIce pics OO, thanks for posting them for us to enjoy.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I appreciate it. I busted my a$$ for those pictures, and it really makes it worthwhile to hear that people enjoy them. They were taken in the state of Oregon, in the wallowa mountains (hurricane divide unit, if you would like to apply). We were able to sneak within 20 yards, and we just stayed low, and the sheep didn't seem to mind. I think they knew that we werent there to hurt them. It was kinda wierd... But I aint complainin! LOL! I had a great day with my boss, and we scouted some really nice country. I think that ram in the last picture is the one we will try to put hunters on next year, if we do end up with a guided sheep hunt. I think that he will make book pretty easily? What do you guys think he would score?

So what your saying OH-OH is that these sheep are still rutting at the end of Dec.? All the older class rams have left the ewes down here in our neck of the woods.

I have no Idea... im not really a sheep man. LOL. But seriously, they were kinda acting rutty... but the were probly just wintering together, because there was lots of feed in this area.

Since I've never touched a Rocky here in AZ, just curious what size bases they have in that part of the world.

Our poor old desert rams in Northwest AZ are taking a beating cause of the drought and have small (12-14" bases). Miss the base measurement and you give up 8 points total as all your quarter measurements will be off an inch.

If I had to guess, and thinking they have 16+ bases, I'd guess low to mid 170's...

Don Martin

The rams have huge bases in this area. In 2000, a ram was killed that scored
202 5/8, putting it at number two in the world at the time. That big ram is the offspring of that ram.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom