Randy Ulmer with another monster....

hubba_3

Same stuff, different year... unreal.
7567randy_ulmer.jpg

Killed on private ranch though...

Awesome buck, but the only unreal thing in my opinion is how many people look up to these high rollers that kill multiple big animals on private property every year. It's not unreal, it's expected. Unreal to me would be If I didn't see Randy's pics with a couple nice velvet muleys every year.

The average Joe 9 to 5 guys that get it done year in and year out DIY are who get my ultimate respect. Not saying Randy isn't a great guy or an awesome hunter,(or that I'm against guides) but the hard part is already taken care of and therefore, whoever guides him every year should get the majority of the kudos IMO. I also believe that he can't get the same fulfillment as someone who works their butt off watching a buck all summer and whenever season rolls around is able to put their tag on that buck. Maybe he does scout the deer he kills but it seems like most his pics have an outfitter tag on them. Just my 2 cents.

I agree 100% with you... The only thing he's good at is shooting deer. The guides do the rest of the tougher stuff...

Let's see him do it on public land in guided. Then I will be impressed.
But that is a great looking buck.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

Public land and guided? most of his hunts are public land... the nevadad bucks he kills almost every year are public land... the guides find the bucks for him, then he shows up and kills them

A Farm Buck Huh?

I'm Impressed!

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

Trailcams some of these outfitters are using 2-3 hundred of these,that is about to change in NV.they are only going to be allowed until around the first of August starting next year.I heard this from a good source.

He does most of his hunting on public land. Sure he does get help from guides with scouting and he probably purchases landowner tags on great areas BUT.....

If you think the hardest part is finding the deer, you obviously havent tried to kill big elk and deer. The easy part is finding the animal. The hard part is getting close and sealing the deal. Especially on big animals. This topic has been discussed in the past and it was said that if you gave the average joe the Henry's Archery Tag 10 years in a row, he wouldn't kill a monster like the one above more than twice.

Congrats to Mr. Ulmer for getting close and sealing the deal.

I wonder if that is one of the new 2014 hoyts??? Notice that the bow doesn't have any limb shocks. anyways... awesome buck!

>He does most of his hunting
>on public land. Sure
>he does get help from
>guides with scouting and he
>probably purchases landowner tags on
>great areas BUT.....
>
>If you think the hardest part
>is finding the deer, you
>obviously havent tried to kill
>big elk and deer.
>The easy part is finding
>the animal. The hard
>part is getting close and
>sealing the deal. Especially
>on big animals. This
>topic has been discussed in
>the past and it was
>said that if you gave
>the average joe the Henry's
>Archery Tag 10 years in
>a row, he wouldn't kill
>a monster like the one
>above more than twice.
>
>Congrats to Mr. Ulmer for getting
>close and sealing the deal.
>

Its easy to find a 200" buck huh? Hmm. Nope, I've never tried to kill a big buck! I do agree its hard to seal the deal. My point is that 200 inch bucks dont grow on trees. Also, I could be wrong but it seems like most of Mr. Ulmers bucks are in extremely archery friendly country.

>I wonder if that is one
>of the new 2014 hoyts???
> Notice that the bow
>doesn't have any limb shocks.
> anyways... awesome buck!
>

looks like it! says Raptor 35... no Air Shox... I wish hoyt would give me their new bows to demo haha.

WOW?..I guess I will comment. I actually know the man and his family. They have a real nice place up the road. Their damn good neighbors. Been to their table, they have been to mine. I have killed 0 200 inch deer in Colorado . He has killed several, DIY, unguided public land?.. Trust me we all speculate as to how he gets it done. It is simple? He is willing and able to do what 98% of us are not willing and able to do. Really guys, he even has pictures!
Randy is a better mule deer hunter then I am. I have shot some 3-D courses with him. Randy is a better archer then I am. So? If you knew him, you would probably like him. I do.

Not saying I wouldn't like Him!

I'm sure most of us would like Him!

With His Money/Know How & Stick Flippin Abilities I just don't know why He'd Hunt a Deer Farm/Ranch if it's True?

To each his own though!

Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

Randy Ulmer is without a doubt one of the very best hunters and archers living today. If you need to question very average "pro's", go after guys like Cameron Hanes.

>He does most of his hunting
>on public land. Sure
>he does get help from
>guides with scouting and he
>probably purchases landowner tags on
>great areas BUT.....
>
>If you think the hardest part
>is finding the deer, you
>obviously havent tried to kill
>big elk and deer.
>The easy part is finding
>the animal. The hard
>part is getting close and
>sealing the deal. Especially
>on big animals. This
>topic has been discussed in
>the past and it was
>said that if you gave
>the average joe the Henry's
>Archery Tag 10 years in
>a row, he wouldn't kill
>a monster like the one
>above more than twice.
>
>Congrats to Mr. Ulmer for getting
>close and sealing the deal.
>

If YOU think the "EASY part is finding the animal"......you need to start your own guide service!

"If you get upset or offended by ANY website forum
post.....especially mine, you need serious
intervention!"

Great buck. He's a good hunter no doubt. I think it's much easier to find a 200 buck than it is to kill one. A check book and a telephone will find you one.

Eel

I have lived in Area 231 in Nevada for over ten years. Yeah, maybe, maybe not if you were gifted a $6,000.00 landowner tag, plus an army of"eyes" looking for that exceptional buck, plus time off from your"day job"and the financial wherewithall to "git 'er done", you could do the same. Yeah, maybe I'm a bit jealous, but my life is such that it is, so I'm glad for him he is able to get the beautiful animals he does, and I like seeing the pics. "To each his own", I guess. I never will get to hunt a monster buck in this lifetime, but in ALL of my years of hunting, I would not even consider giving back ANY of my experiences to harvest a big ol' muley. Even the memories of the "skunks" where I hunted in a rental car while my rig was in the shop, or sat in a tent for days to wait for weather to clear, or spent half the hunt rounding up horses that broke away during the night, or on the last hunt my Dad ever went on with me...taking him to the emergency room and back home 500 miles away... "Deer hunting, ALWAYS an adventure". :)

I heard some of those tags sell for $15,000.Velvet bucks pretty much in the open and a lot easier to pattern,kinda like bow hunting bucks in the rut,it is an advantage but still hard to pull off to take a big buck,just my 2 cents.

LOL.......I love reading these threads.....

When you go swimming in the ocean, it is very cold, and it makes my willy small

Don't care about who, what, how, when, or where. I like seeing pics of huge bucks and this is one. Congrats to him.

Public or private, DYI or guided, you still have to sneak within bow range and put one through the vitals. Randy is not only a skilled hunter, but he has the resources and time to get it done every year. I have heard, but have not verified, that he has hunted the same animal for 20+ consecutive days. How many of your spouses or employers would tolerate you being gone for that long?How many hunters have the fortitude & patience to hunt an animal that long? I suspect that fairly average bow hunters could produce the same results as Randy given the same time and resources. Randy does not waste time in general season or OTC units. He hunts top end units every year. I don't personally know Ulmer, but respect his skill as a bow hunter.

This picture looks funny. It looks as though they cut him out with his deer and pasted it on a separate background. He looks too small for the brush in the background. Anyone else agree?

Why would he shoot a farm buck when he continually shoots big bucks on public land??

>This picture looks funny. It
>looks as though they cut
>him out with his deer
>and pasted it on a
>separate background. He looks
>too small for the brush
>in the background. Anyone
>else agree?
>
>Why would he shoot a farm
>buck when he continually shoots
>big bucks on public land??
>

Well!

You didn't wanna see a Fence in the BackGround did you?

The "farm" where this buck was killed is 257,000 acres. The picture is real and was taken where the buck expired.

Randy is a great guy and gets it done year after year.

You can log onto HOYT and check out all of the hunters like Randy and Cameron in their homes,some good info about them.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-13 AT 08:16PM (MST)[p]
I guess if you paid someone to watch a deer everyday then the guide could set you up on that deer pretty easy if you knew every pattern of that buck. Good for him I guess. I cant really judge him that hard if I don't know the full story.

At least some of us can say we scout and work for our deer. "Hundred guys hundred ways"

I wonder how many guys here and else-ware hire guides, buy landowner tags, or just get to hunt great private lands thru family or good friends. Probably a whole lot! Very few can consistently get it done on super monster bucks year after year like this guy does.

Does he get the same credit that those who seem to get it done on Public DIY? No! But, i still give him credit, IMO, the dude is a Monster Buck Slayer, with a Bow no less, that very few could dream to equal given similar circumstances.

Hats off to Mr. Ulmer, another fantastic trophy Mule Deer to your collection!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I dont respect guys like him. He pays $$ for people to find, sit, and pattern a buck so he can come in and shoot it...

Imagine that.. $$ talks, Ulmer walks out with a big buck. shocking.

>Been to their
>table, they have been to
>mine.

That make me giddy!

>He is willing and able
>to do what 98% of
>us are not willing and
>able to do.

You mean like pull tags that most will never be able to draw or purchase and hire top quality outfitters...

Can you be fully honest and say if you had the time and the big bucks, you would not do the same?

RELH

Posts like this is why I quit coming on Monster Muleys. Awesome buck. Randy is a stud. 99% of you guys dont know the story so I love how all the Monster Muley Morons get on here and predict where, how, why he got this deer. He kills big deer year and year after year and most of you are SO jealous you come on a website like this and rip the guy apart. Calling it a farm buck???? Get a life. Some of you guys are absolutely clueless.

Jason Yates
http://www.BasinArcheryShop.com
5% OFF to all MonsterMuleys.com Members!
Discount code = monstermuleys

Let's be honest. If we had the same opportunities that he has to hunt, we would do it too. I only hate people who hunt on private ranches because I can't afford to do it haha. One day I'll be retired like him and kill my bucks and bulls wherever I want then all of you will be hating on me too :) haha

I dont agree. The average guy given his opportunity would be more successful than they are but not necessarily as successful as he is. To assume any different is just that an assumption. He is a deer slaying fool. He is an outfitters dream. Most outfitters put guys on big deer with a bow and they blow it time and time again. He gets it done. I have never personally been on a guided hunt (except in africa) but I give Randy Ulmer huge props for his success in life and in the field. He is not the guy that "shows up and pulls the trigger" and in my opinion that would be impossible to do as a bow hunter whether guided or not. A guide cant make the stalk go perfect and the wind stay true. The guided cant place his arrow in the vitals and do it year after year. Anyone who says that he is the rich guy that just pulls the trigger has never bow hunted. Yes his success in life has given him more opportunity then most but most of us on this website have more opportunity than someone else we know. Does that take away from every trophy we shoot. I hunt several states per year and most only get to hunt one. Some get to hunt for 3-5 weeks per year and others only get to hunt 3-5 days.

Bottom line is life ain't fair. Everyone's opportunities are different. Make the best of your own opportunities and feel good about it. Don't sit on the internet and bag on guys you dont know and bag on hunts and situations you know nothing about. Be happy for the guy and give credit where credit is due.

Jason Yates
http://www.BasinArcheryShop.com
5% OFF to all MonsterMuleys.com Members!
Discount code = monstermuleys

>I dont agree. The average guy
>given his opportunity would be
>more successful than they are
>but not necessarily as successful
>as he is. To assume
>any different is just that
>an assumption. He is a
>deer slaying fool. He is
>an outfitters dream. Most outfitters
>put guys on big deer
>with a bow and they
>blow it time and time
>again. He gets it done.
>I have never personally been
>on a guided hunt (except
>in africa) but I give
>Randy Ulmer huge props for
>his success in life and
>in the field. He is
>not the guy that "shows
>up and pulls the trigger"
>and in my opinion that
>would be impossible to do
>as a bow hunter whether
>guided or not. A guide
>cant make the stalk go
>perfect and the wind stay
>true. The guided cant place
>his arrow in the vitals
>and do it year after
>year. Anyone who says that
>he is the rich guy
>that just pulls the trigger
>has never bow hunted. Yes
>his success in life has
>given him more opportunity then
>most but most of us
>on this website have more
>opportunity than someone else we
>know. Does that take away
>from every trophy we shoot.
>I hunt several states per
>year and most only get
>to hunt one. Some get
>to hunt for 3-5 weeks
>per year and others only
>get to hunt 3-5 days.
>
>
>Bottom line is life ain't fair.
>Everyone's opportunities are different. Make
>the best of your own
>opportunities and feel good about
>it. Don't sit on the
>internet and bag on guys
>you dont know and bag
>on hunts and situations you
>know nothing about. Be happy
>for the guy and give
>credit where credit is due.
>
>
>Jason Yates
>http://www.BasinArcheryShop.com
>5% OFF to all MonsterMuleys.com Members!
>
>Discount code = monstermuleys

I'm with you on this one. Randy's dedication and patience is unbelievable and he can shoot. There are a lot of Hollywood hunters that I don't like but Randy is not one of them. I would pay money to watch him close to deal on a spotted buck.

>I dont respect guys like him.
>He pays $$ for people
>to find, sit, and pattern
>a buck so he can
>come in and shoot it...
>
>
>Imagine that.. $$ talks, Ulmer walks
>out with a big buck.
>shocking.

Wow, because a guy has more money and hunting contacts than you and uses that to his advantage to create better opportunities than you or I, you don't respect him? Sounds like Democrat thinking to me. Maybe the government should tax him 1-200 buck per yer and give it to you?

Unless you make your own bows and arrows and walk or ride a horse out to hunt, then you have more money than you need to survive and isn't it unfair to use it to your hunting advantage?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-13 AT 08:53AM (MST)[p]"Randy's dedication and patience is unbelievable and he can shoot."

I've met Randy on a couple of occasions over the years and this statement fits him to a tee. The one thing that really stood out to me in meeting and talking with him, is the attention to detail he gives everything he does. This man literally leaves nothing to chance, no matter what he is doing. He might even be considered borderline OCD by some :).

He is now at a point in his life where his passion for hunting and the professional success he achieved through hard work, self sacrifice, and commitment now affords him the opportunities he enjoys.

I have no trouble seeing how he does this year after year. If given the same opportunities I seriously doubt I could achieve the same results. My hat is off to the man...... Terry

I see most of the guys saying this guy is great , is guides, iam sure randy will see that ,and put gold star in his note book by your name, he can shoot, but can he 'hunt? if so why all the guides/?, whatever. it is still a super buck..

Most these guys have no idea what they are talking about. Let me fill you in on a few details about this particular buck. Randy was on the ranch a week early to scout for an upcoming elk hunt. Randy found this buck himself while scouting. Randy stalked in and killed this buck by himself.

There may be plenty of rich guy hunters that rely on the guide to get things done but I can assure you Randy is not that guy.

Tag, you make it sound like Randy has no advantages over the common guy. Yeah, i knew little of his hunt when i posted #30 of this thread but i do know that he has advantages over the common DIY guy on public grounds.

If or not those advantages are fair is the issue here. I feel that they have contributed to the demise of mule deer hunting as i knew it but on the other hand, i can't blame him for using every edge that he can get.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-13 AT 11:35AM (MST)[p]

I suspect that Mr. Ulmer could care less if he gets respect or not from guys posting on an internet forum.

Life isn't fair some people have more money than others and how they choose to spend it is their business. I am willing to bet almost every one of the guys who don't like his success would do the same thing if they had to $$$ to burn. I know few guys that would still do it the DIY way but very few walk the talk when they have the cash.

I could care less what anybody else kills big, little, medium size, guided, unguided. That is their own choice, good on em for being hunters. At least it wasn't behind a fence and eating out of feed bunk.

Nemont

Make no mistake, Randy does have an advantage. He hunts where the big stuff lives and hunts multiple states each year.

My point was more toward people questioning his hunting abilities. I have been in several camps hunting with Randy and I can assure you he didn't have a crew of spotters or need a guide to hold his hand. Randy is a very dedicated , passionate, hard working, killing machine.

This thread is a great example of my friend's saying "Everyone hates a winner".
Since Randy keeps slamming monsters we can have this thread for a third time next year. :) Awesome buck.

wow,,,, is their some ass kissing hero worship or what,,,, does vaquero outfitters just put their name on any big buck picture, and con the public in to thinking hey helped get it' come on tag' which story is it??

>wow,,,, is their some ass kissing
>hero worship or what,,,,
>does vaquero outfitters just put
>their name on
>any big buck picture, and
>con the public in
>to thinking hey helped get
>it' come on tag' which
> story is it??

Jealous much ? LMAO !!

There is much more bitter unfounded bashing going on than ass kissing. I just happen to have facts and thought I would enlighten you. Mr. Ulmer "smooch smooch" is not a typical arrive and get led to an animal just in time to pull the trigger type of guy.

As to the Vaquero stamp, the buck was killed on the ranch they have exclusive rights to hunt. Should it not be used by Vaquero to sell their hunts ?

take away the money and exclusive rights ,whats your hunter got? a 24 inch buck ,, like every body else,,,,

He looks happy with that deer. To where Don Austad looks depressed with a 500 inch bull..

For what this guy is paying to hunt on private ranches he could buy prime public tags at auctions, why doesn't he? BECAUSE there would be no guarantee, no special season dates, ITS NOT PUBLIC LAND. Guys like him want to look good in a picture(BTW i notice his bright shiny face, he must be sneaky as hell to overcome that), and the worshipers who buy his products, buy the videos, and buy his crap are what make him a "superior hunter". I am sure he is perfectly nice, good to his neighbors, treats his wife good, etc, but get real. When most of us have a tag we scout, plan, negotiate for time, THENNNN we go buy groceries, haul all of our own gear, set up camp, cook meals, hike into places, COMPETE WITH EVERYONE ELSE WHO USES PUBLIC LAND FOR RECREATION, and then if we are lucky enough to make a kill, get pretty damn bloody cutting, skinning, boning, and PACKING. He simply gets what he paid for. Can he shoot a bow, SURE. Does he have walls full of big deer and I don't, YUP. Do I wish I had more time to hunt, YESSSSSSSSSS. But for the love of god can we please not keep pretending that hunting "ranches" or CWMU, or whatever you want to call it is just the same as ACTUAL hunting!! If it is then guys like Ulmer dropping the coin they do on them have got to be the worlds biggest IDIOTS. Guys like this are paying for an advantage, generally that advantage is locked gates, or season dates that lend advantages. AND YES, you and me, with 257,000 acres with locked gates, and very little, if any competion, with guides helping WILL KILL BIGGER ANIMALS. This is a nice looking deer, but the hero worship should be for the guide!

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

hossblur

WELL SAID

I got to thinking. How come the middle class people such as ourselves don't get a chance a governor tags but only the rich get to throw down their money on them? Are they better than us?
The only Governor tags we get a chance at is some Banquet.

Bull$hit on all the Nay Sayers, Randy and his brother help me out in a unit in AZ that they had some good bulls spotted in and told where to hunt and how to hunt that area for those bulls.
They had killed some great bulls in that area and could of let them sit until the next date and took a paying guy into those same bulls. Now I didn't tag out but the Bulls was the type they said they was.

They Didn't have to help me at all and they didn't know me from Adam and still don't know me, we have never met in person, Just talked on the phone that one time.

Yep he sounds like a real me me type of guy NOT.
Clueless in the MM land and hating the guy who is getting it done. Priceless

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Good for him. I don't begrudge him his success at all. Its his money after all. Wish I had a sliver of the opportunities he's able to afford.

Having said that, the term "buck of a lifetime" probably doesn't mean much to him.

just voicing opinions . I guess we can talk about how big of D-bag Obama is and freaking worthless he is. but we would all agree on that issue and nothing to talk about

Jealousy and envy are such ugly emotions.

Too bad hunting is turning into a money hobby. Such is life. No one ever said life was fair. Freakin' deal with it.

Wish I could hunt where Randy does every year(jealousy). I do what I can, just like the rest of you do.

He went on a private ranch-not a game farm. He didn't buy an auction tag from SFW or whoever. Sometimes you guys really sound pathetic. Makes me wonder what's worse for the future of hunting: That it's becoming a rich man's sport or that hunters are divided and envious of someone else's success.

Just my opinion.

In hunting, money can equal success. It doesn't buy skill. Sometimes the skill isn't that of the one with money, sometimes it is. But the money guy gets the success regardless if he has skills or not. More success than the guys without money usually get. mtmuley

The Nevada toad bull elk he killed back in 2006 or so was public land on his own, in the unit I hunted the following year. My buddy bumped into him hauling it out.

Member RMEF, Pope & Young Club, NRA, UWC & DP Hate Club

>For what this guy is paying
>to hunt on private ranches
>he could buy prime public
> tags at auctions, why
>doesn't he? BECAUSE there
>would be no guarantee, no
>special season dates, ITS NOT
>PUBLIC LAND. Guys like
>him want to look good
>in a picture(BTW i notice
>his bright shiny face, he
>must be sneaky as hell
>to overcome that), and the
>worshipers who buy his products,
>buy the videos, and buy
>his crap are what make
>him a "superior hunter".
>I am sure he is
>perfectly nice, good to his
>neighbors, treats his wife good,
>etc, but get real.
>When most of us have
>a tag we scout, plan,
>negotiate for time, THENNNN we
>go buy groceries, haul all
>of our own gear, set
>up camp, cook meals, hike
>into places, COMPETE WITH EVERYONE
>ELSE WHO USES PUBLIC LAND
>FOR RECREATION, and then if
>we are lucky enough to
>make a kill, get pretty
>damn bloody cutting, skinning, boning,
>and PACKING. He simply gets
>what he paid for.
>Can he shoot a bow,
>SURE. Does he have walls
>full of big deer and
>I don't, YUP. Do
>I wish I had more
>time to hunt, YESSSSSSSSSS.
>But for the love of
>god can we please not
>keep pretending that hunting "ranches"
>or CWMU, or whatever you
>want to call it is
>just the same as ACTUAL
>hunting!! If it is
>then guys like Ulmer dropping
>the coin they do on
>them have got to be
>the worlds biggest IDIOTS.
>Guys like this are paying
>for an advantage, generally that
>advantage is locked gates, or
>season dates that lend advantages.
> AND YES, you and
>me, with 257,000 acres with
>locked gates, and very little,
>if any competion, with guides
>helping WILL KILL BIGGER ANIMALS.
> This is a nice
>looking deer, but the hero
>worship should be for the
>guide!
>
>
>"The only thing that stops a
>bad guy with a gun
>is a good guy with
>a gun"

Sorry you think that "ACTUAL HUNTING" is comprised of wrestling some other numbskull for position on public ground
ONLY! LMAO
That is a TYPE of hunting. Me, I have hunted both and given the choice will hunt my ass off on a ranch any day before dealing with a pumpkin patch. Seems like the statement above is a jealous one at best. Take Ulmer for what he is- a great shot/killer with plenty of money to pay for access to the best areas. Relax

T264

LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-13 AT 12:34PM (MST)[p]Threads like this kill me because a good portion of comments seem slanderous and full of jealousy.
Mr. Ulmer seems like a great guy and I congratulate him on another fine trophy.

mr.ulmer.seems like a great guy and I congratulate him on another fine trophy, (the 1000 dollar tip he left me has noth ing to do with my opinion)

+1 to the posts made by Joey and Jason, kudos to you two stand up guys.

Can't stand all the trash talking.... it's too bad that so many guys won't post up stories / pics of their success just cuz they want to avoid all the drama. I enjoy seeing success photos whether the guy hunts like I do, has more resources than me, or whatever.

So much negativity on this site, seems that anytime someone posts a big buck after a sucessful hunt, they get ripped to shreds. I wonder sometimes if some of you posters are anti's just posing as hunters to rip on people for their success.
If I had money and great resources, I would spend it doing what I love to do and with whomever I want.
A big and hearty congratulations to Randy Ulmer and his numerous succeses, Haters will always Hate. - Nuff said

This is a common reaction these days to any guy that's really successful in any facet of life, not just hunting. it's very easy to say "that if i only had that tag, i would of killed a monster too". In some cases that would be true and lot of guys could kill an occasional giant on one of randy's adventures. Here's the big diff though, randy kills giants on 90 percent of his tags and that's all the time in my book. Sure randy has help from time to time, but how is that any different than having 2 or 3 of my friends come up to help/share on one of my tags. Most people who draw premium tags have friends come to help/share and guess what there's no diff in my opinion. I spent 3 or 4 days one year driving around with randy while helping another friend on a late coues tag. I was really impressed with his demeanor, his humbleness, and his obvious knowledge of hunting in general. He never once acted cocky or that he was better than anyone around. I've gone out to his house a few times and even though you barely wade thru all the giants he has on the wall, you would think you were talking to a guy that's killed a couple 170 bucks, ego wise. Randy's a straight up killing machine period, and i could only hope that if i was as good and successful of a hunter as he is ,that i would come off to others like he does to me. The guy is the perfect storm so to speak with regards to hunting, he's has money to do it right if needed, he's one of the best archery shooters in the world, and last but not least, he's as good of a hunter as they get. If half the people on here got to meet him just for a few seconds , i would bet they would feel the same way. Tomichi, i wanted to say hi bud, i have 13 points for deer and i'm getting anxious to spend some time with you bud.

I got in here to rip on the fans and groopies of this guy and the guys like him. And sorry, but facts are a hard thing to dispute. He didn't kill this deer on general hunt in N. Utah, he did it on a locked gate, controlled, 257,000 acre "ranch". Sure he is a good shot, and I am glad he is a nice man, but neither of which make you Daniel Boone. That he has that pile of big bucks is because he has the finances to pay for the advantage that hunting prime seasons, behind locked gates brings you. I don't care how he made his money, its not a shot at him for having it. My shot is at all the guys who see Randy Ulmer(or insert whatever "professional" hunter) on something and suddenly its the greatest, best, must have. Killing deer shouldn't make you a celebrity, it should make your freezer full. I watch few hunting shows anymore, but I do watch Yukon Men, Mountain Men, and Alaka Frontier, Life Below Zero. Funny on the "hunting" shows all that matters is product placement, and horn inches, but on HUNTING SHOWS what matters is killing something so they can survive. I prefer the latter "professionals". Not to mention the chick on Life Below Zero would kick both Lee and Tiffanys azzes with one hand behind her back.
Randy killed a nice deer. Enough said. All the hero worship crap is what I ripped on.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-30-13 AT 11:56AM (MST)[p]I get a chuckle out of both extremes who post on threads like this one. First, those who worship guys that are well known, aka celebrity, hunters. Even more so, those who are simply haters of anyone who achieves what they have not, or cannot do themselves.

Personally, I regard Randy Ulmer differently than almost all other 'celebrity' hunters.

I applaud Mr. Ulmer as a true trophy hunter, but I don't worship the guy. I just finished hunting the unit (Nevada 231) where he has killed so many of his big bucks. Regardless of what anyone says, that place is not a slam dunk for anyone to kill a big buck with a bow, guided or not. It is something like 99% public land and much of the big deer country is fairly rough, though there are some easy areas too. Guided or not, anyone who can consistently kill big bucks in that country with a bow is a legitimate hunter in my eyes. I also recall him killing a 400+" bull in Nevada that he hunted solo (if memory serves me) for over 20 days before arrowing, as well as a Nevada desert sheep with his bow. Those are all public land animals in tough, physical country. Guided or not, I'd love to have the chance to do some of those things myself. Do I envy him? No! Do I admire his ability to get it done on a very consistent basis? Yes, I do. I've bowhunted since around 1990, and realize that it takes special dedication and ability to consistently do what he does. He's put in the time, both from a conditioning and shooting standpoint, as well as professionally as a veterninarian who can afford the time and expense, to hunt at a higher level than most of the rest of us can engage in. Good for him.

As for most of the other celebrity hunters, I wouldn't give two hoots one way or the other about most of them. I don't admire most of their activities at all, though I do admire guys like Ivan Carter, Johan Calitz and Jeff Rann, who hunt professionally for a living. I do place this fellow in a different category than most of our other US based celebrity hunters. He isn't shooting whitetails from a tree stand, or hunting high fenced ranches. He's getting it done where all the rest of us get to hunt. Public land, the hard way, with a bow. Who cares how he gets the tags? I don't.

CAelknuts and hossblur both make good points, although I have no idea who those professional hunters CAelknuts named are? guess I got to start watching the tube more.

I know one thing though, all the competition by paid spotters and guides, and the wealth tags with their celebrity hunters have hurt the common hunters chances of getting a trophy animal.
There are only so many trophys out there, and the competition is getting mighty stiff.

Piper, those three I mentioned are African professional hunters who have built and enviable track record on taking dangerous game. They do have TV shows (Under Wild Skies, Tracks Across Africa and Dangerous Game) but that doesn't make them anything other than what they are, which is excellent African PH's.

I agree with you, TO A POINT, about guys using guides who scout all summer having an advantage. But, that doesn't mean the average guy can't kill a top end animal on his own. On my recent unit 231 bull hunt in Nevada, I screwed up on the biggest bull I've ever shot at. Regardless of all the scouting that some of the Nevada Outfitters do, I can assure you that if I had brought that bull home, he'd have very possibly been the biggest bull shot in unit 231 this year, and I didn't have any guide help at all, just me and my son and a friend on our own. Very few people were hunting in the area where I found that bull, and I don't believe I saw a guided hunter the entire time I was there.

Guys who don't have all that extra help can get it done, it just takes more work and more luck but it is possible.

Isn't this website named monstermuleys?

Or should we rename: poorman.nooutsidehelp.walkin.wilderness.anyoldmuleys

I like seeing big, legally taken, fairchase mule deer. Within those peramiters, show me what you got!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Randy killed giant animals way before he had the financial "advantages" or the guide friends he has now. He has been doing it since he was young.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom