rangefinder

elkmuzzleloader

Looking to buy a rangefinder this year. I have looked at the Leupold RX1000 TBR because I have been buying leupold products for years religiously. Somebody then suggested I look at the new Bushnell ARC 1000. I have had horrible luck in the past with bushnell, but have read a lot of good reviews on this rangefinder. I am now coming to the pros (ie you guys) on suggestions. I hunt bow, muzzleloader and rifle. I hand load all my rifle ammo. I mention this because you can now input ammo into rangefinders to calculate holdover. Please help me make a decision.

Nikon rifle hunter 550. Great rangefinder, very accurate. If you need capabilities over 550 yards they make the 1000 also. Built in incline decline at the touch of a button, waterproof and fog proof.

I have had the Leupold RX-II for three or four years now and really like it. It has the true ballistics program along with the archery program. It is rated to 750 yards however the farthest I have ranged is 600 with it, and it was on a tripod then. I can "freehand" to roughly 400 yards on a deer sized object which is more than ample for me. My next rangefinder will be a Leupold, I have been very pleased. I would consider my time in the field as above average and I have only changed the battery once.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-10 AT 12:32PM (MST)[p]I have a Leica CRF for sale if your're interested. It's posted in the for sale forum.

"Windage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

I have the swarovski. Got it this last year. Best I have ever owned. It is the only one I have tried that works in bright sunlight.
It also ranges well over 1000 yards, which is good when planning a stalk. You can look at a spot you want to stalk to and then see if it will be close enough to the animal to make a good shot.

I have the Bushnell 1000 Scout with Arc. I have had no issues with it. Only little quirk it has it don't want to take rapid (meaning less than a second) succession readings. If you wait a second or two it will read just fine. Preforms good in bad weather. Tested it out in my backyard in a heavy snow storm (snowflakes as big as 50 cent piece). It ranged a ground power transformer at over 125 yards. So far I am pleased with it. I have no idea how to do the rifle data, but I am sure it is in the manual. I looked at the Leupold first couple of generations of "smart" rangefinders. Too many features, too many reticle choices, in short it was a little to complicated for my tastes. I wanted something simple and easy to use. Other than a mode selector button, it has one button that you push and put the pointer on what you want to know the distance is, with angle compensated distace below. Hope this makes your decision easier.
WVBOWAK

picked up a RX-1000 last year, and used the soup out of it! Very impressive. didn't see the need to range to 1000 yds, until I looked at the NON-REFLECTIVE readings.
pro;s: very easy menue, the bow setting!, TBR, light weight and still a solid housing, clarity, LED display and brightness, easy to grip in the cold

con's: smaller than most, hard to hold steady on far off objects, only 6x magnification (oh well get closer to the critter)

pro&con; the case it comes with; small and secures to a belt, very secure! never fell out in the hundreds of hours of use. has a magnetic close- if you pull the thing out wrong it snaps/clicks shut with a loud sound. You have to be carefull in how you let it close. still way better than velcro or some clip.

found it to be extremely accurate, except for one time. It over read by about 80- 100 yds, never figured out why, but my eyes experience new better.

Would choose this one, if I had to get one again.

I too have the RX-1000 with TBR and really like it. I wanted the red display for low light though on the flip side it is harder to read when it is really bright out. I used to have a Nikon 800 but sold it in favor of the RX-1000. I dont think you'd be disappointed.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

I too have been in the market for a new range finder. I would definitely pay the extra amount for a rangefinder with LED display. They are so much brighter and easier to read than the others. 1000 yards probably isn't necessary; however, the ones with LED normally only come in the higher end models which means you'll be getting the 1000. In the end you'd be happier with the purchase.

Thanks for all the help guys. Just placed my order for a leupold rx750 tbr. Will let you all know how it does if it arrives before I take out after some bears.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom