rangefinders?

huntn30inchers

During the last couple of weeks I have been learning how to judge distance with the sight pins on my bow by lining up the top and bottom of my target up with certain pins and learning which pins make up which distances. My target is 18" high and I was just wondering how accurate and how effective this would be in real hunting situations.

the more practice you do the better. But it might also get confusing in the heat of the moment. Your 18" target would only be good for deer sized animals. Elk, bear, moose, goats, pronghorn etc. would all have a different "pin gap" for the yardages. And even then some deer are smaller than others.
Learn to judge accuratly out to 30-35 yrds. Then use a rangefinder for farther out.

I have seen an ad in Bo hunter Magazine. It has a sticker with color coded sizes to match a particular animal at different distances. You adhere it to your sight. Hence giving an easier way than perhaps measuring with different pins. Some golfing range finders work on the same principal by comparing the height of the flag pole at the hole. Giving the golfer the distance. I have not used it.
But was and still might get it.
Here is the link. The ad was on page #142 "big game Special 2006"

WWW.deadonrangefinder.com

Just tried to make my own DIY rangefinder like the "deadon". For an 18" deer the marks were too close together and seemed like it would be confusing in the heat of the moment. Might work better on somthing like elk at 24"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom