Re-blueing

R

RuttCrazed

Has anyone ever re-blued an entire gun? What did you use? How did it turn out? Any webpage references? Any tips?

Rut

Ruttcrazed;
If you are referring to re-bluing a entire rifle by the cold blue process, I would not attempt it. I assure you the results will not be good enought. Cold bluing is for touching up scratches and small blemishes. If you are dead set on re-bluing your rifle you will need to have a hot bluing set up or rust bluing set up. this can get very expensive for the equitment. I know because I am set up for both. You also will need equitment to polish the rifle prior to the bluing. The polish is a very important step. In fact any little mistake in the polishing procedure will show up in the finish product. I have had guys tell me that they cold blued their rifle and they were satisfied with the results. Upon examing their rifles, I would have been ashamed to pull it out of the case in hunting camp. Get my drift!
You will be better off and take the gun in to a gunsmith and pay your money for a professional polish and hot blue job. I know it is not cheap, but if you want a job that you are proud to show off, you are going to have to pay the price.
RELH

RELH,
Thanks for the info. I recently got an older shotgun and was thinking about re-bluing it, it doesn't need it but I am always looking for something new to try.

Rut

Ruttcrazed;
If your older shotgun is a double barrel, you will have to have it rust blued. hot bluing operates at 292-310 degrees. The older double barrel shotguns had the barrels and ribs soldier on with a low temperture solder that melts at about 280 degrees. In other words the barrels and ribs may come apart in the bluing bath.
RELH

RELH,
The gun I was refering to was a Remington 11-48, made in '53. It is in great shape, just a little dull.
Thanks again for the info.

Rut

I had my Grandfathers L.C. Smith Field Grade rust blued a couple of years ago. It was a little expensive but for a Smith and my Grandfathers gun it was worth it. It looks great.

BeanMan

BeanMan;
I did a total restore on a L.C. Smith double for a friend. refinished the wood and rust blued the metal. It came out so damn beatiful that I almost didn't give it back to him. It had been his Grandfather's gun also and he was planning to pass it down to his son. You were smart to have it rust blued, because the L.C. Smiths did use a low melt solder for the ribs. But the payback is that the rust blue is better looking in my opinion and the added expense is worth it.

RELH

Ruttcrazed;
That 11-48 proceded the Rem. 1100 and is a damn good semi-auto gun. My Father-in-law used one for over 25 years and made alot of long shots on birds with it. He finally got a 1100 and it never did fit him as well as the 11-48 did. I now have the 11-48 and I cut the barrel down to 18-1/4 inches and made a house defense gun out of it. The gun is now 50 years old and is still very reliabe after all those years. That 11-48 and the old Browning humpback are two of the best semi-autos ever made, and have proven their reliability though several generations of being passed down.
RELH

RELH,

You wouldn't happen to know where to get an origanal butt plate for a LC 20 guage would you?

This partucular Shotgun came to me in new condition since neither my Grandfather or Father hunted much. Unfortunately I was 14 when it was given to me and I didn't know what I had and used it pretty hard through my teenage years. It is still in 'good' shape but is missing the original butt plate.

BeanMan

Beanman;
You are in luck, Call Gun Parts Corp. located in West Hurley, New york. Phone number is (914) 679-2417. In their Edition 21 catalog, they have butt plates avertised for the older L.C. Smiths in 12, 16, & 20 gauge. Give them a call and tell them what you are looking for and they will send to you if they have the item. They may need information from the gun, make, caliber, serial number in order to insure they have the right part. They listed the butt plates at $12.95, but the catalog is 1-2 years old. Their catalog is worth the few bucks that it cost, I use it all the time when looking for obsolete gun parts.
RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom