Re-Fitting my 300 Win Mag

osu92

About 6 years ago I inherited a 300 Win Mag when my Grandfather passed away. Since that time, I've used it to kill quite a few elk and deer and really like the gun. However, there are a couple of things about it that I don't like. One, the gun doesn't fit right. It's at least an inch too short. The stock looks like someone did a poor custom job and shortened it a bit. I've replaced the butt pad that was on it with a Sims pad that's a tad thicker than the old one, but it's far from perfect. And second, the gun seems to weigh a ton. I don't know what it weighs, but it seems like a lot.

So, what's the best way to remedy this situation? Have it rebuilt on a new stock? Would doing that with something other than the original wood stock possibly reduce the weight quite a bit as well as getting the length correct? What would a good/decent after market stock cost? And is the rebuild something someone with no gunsmithing experience could accomplish? If not, what would it cost to have a pro do something like this?

Thanks

You have a bunch of options, What make and model you have will make a big difference . the first thing is what do you want from the finished product and what are you willing to spend, like anything else you get what you pay for.

An elcheapo drop in stock will be about $100 and the best finished stock will be around $750 installed so there are options everywhere in between that.

Sorry, the make and model is a Winchester Model 70. After some skimming through some older posts it looks like there's a bunch of discussion about the merits of rebuilding a rifle off a Model 70 base versus a Remington 700 base. But I don't know that I'm really lookin to rebuild the whole thing.

And I don't know that I want to spend $500-$1000 on this project. If I'm going to spend that kind of money I'd live with this gun as is and shop for a new one. So what's a reasonable expectation in the $200-$300 range? Can I make a significant difference in the fit of this gun, maybe lowering the weight, and perhaps even get it to shoot better?

Thanks

I would look at a Boyds laminate gunstock. They are inexpensive compared to a quality synthetic stock. For the money I don't think that you could do any better. The only disadvantage to a laminate stock is that it would not be any lighter than the stock that you have now.

If you want a better fit and lower weight put a McMillian edge stock on it. Dont' remember price exactly but about $500-$600. Order it in what ever LOP you want and install it your self(depending on your skills). This is a very quick idea to a very general question. This stock could then make its balance wrong or better. You don't really say what you think of the accuracy etc. There are a ton of options and if it has sentimental value you may want to use as is or you can say I had Grandpa's gun restocked and rebarrelled(if not now some day).
Like I said just a quick general idea

I might leave Gramps gun as it is and look for another gun. Look up the serial # on a model 70's website and see when it was made. Sounds like it's a pre 1964 issue in which case there is some collector value as is. The more original the gun is the better. Yes, they can be a bit heavy for packing around but then again, that weight comes in handy to help reduce felt recoil.

Being you already have a 300 Win Mag, i'd look for a lighter gun in a smaller cartridge like 25-06 or 7mm-08. You could go even smaller but both those and others, are readily available and very handy for varmints to at least deer sized game out to 400yds if need be.

I have both my Dad's deer rifle and my Grandfathers. They are both priceless and will stay as they are now, at least as long as i'm alive! :)

Joey

This really isn't 'Grandpa's old gun' per se, just one that he bought specifically for me. And I already have a .25-06, a .30-06, and a .223. So making this bigger magnum work for me is the priority here.

I will check the serial number to see if it is in fact a pre64 but I really don't think it is.

Also, after some looking I've got a question regarding a replacement stock. Unfortunately, I'm not in the market for a McMillan and will probably be more in line with a Bell&Carlson or a Hogue. With the Hogue, they seem to offer a standard version and one with a 'full length aluminum bedding block'. Is this something that is worth spending the extra money for and will it generally increase the reliability/accuracy of the gun?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-10 AT 08:04AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-10 AT 08:04?AM (MST)

Other then good marketing there is no magic in an aluminum bedding block, nothing wrong with it either. You could bolt the metal in and it could be perfect and it could need work. Depends on so many things, it would probably be easier and better if your plans are to just bolt it together and even if you plan on bedding it proper. Given what you have said before I would probably get the stock with the aluminum block. In the long run(and being very general) like pillars it gives a long lasting solid contact point that will prevent stock crush from tightening.

not a fan of hogue..I'd go with the B&C medalist, it has the full length aluminum bedding block. Like said above, there is no magic to them, but what they will do is stiffen up these cheaper stocks, so it makes them worth while...but i doubt your gonna cut much weight with one.is you gun a push feed or a controlled round feed?

Not sure on which it is, but I've narrowed it down to a B&C Medalist and a local gunsmith has offered to help me make sure it fits and put it on his lathe to make it just right.

I'm a little curious? with that stock spinning around how is the guy gonna make any cuts on the bedding block? :)

I started to post a lot of question marks on that one early today then just skipped it!
Didn't make sense to me

OK, lathe obviously isn't the right machine. He's not going to be making a duck call out of it...... but he has a full machine shop so whatever he referred to I'm sure will get the job done. This isn't going to be the first one he's altered to make fit.

Would you let us know what you end up doing,
and how it works out.

I, for one, would like to know.

Laro

He'll probably do it on a milling machine. But he can skim bed or remove a little more material in the bedding block, then full bed the action to get a good fit as well. Any of the 3 will work and some guns don't ned to be touched.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom