RE-WORKING CARBONS (HELP)

five_point_buck

Very Active Member
Hey guys,

Just switched from alum. to carbons, got a few carbon express terminator selects from a friend and was interested in taking off the old vanes and changing to a larger size. Once I cut off the old vanes, what should I use to remove any old glue?? Also, what glue are you guys using to attach new vanes to carbons?? Thanks in advance for any advise.

0info4fAnimation.GIF

Take er easy
five_point_buck *

I've only messed with vanes on my 'Judo' arrows. Fletch tight has always worked well for me. I just scraped the old adhesive off with a knife. But I'm not sure this is going to best for hunting arrows. But if the arrow tunes well, you're good to go!

I've usually just scraped them off with a knife(although you can buy a special scraper tool) and cleaned with ethanol. A stronger solvent like acetone or MEK would remove the glue, but also work on the resins in the arrow shaft. You can rotate the shafts in the jig so you are not fletching over any old glue spots. For a glue, I've used AAE fastset gel with AAE vanes, as their bases are pretreated. Goat-Tuff also does a great job. Both dry a lot faster than fletch tite to speed up the process of refletching.

Doug/RedRabbit

Scape off the old glue with a new razor blade. Don't get to aggressive with the angle and work from the middle of the arrow toward the end.

I've been doing this with carbons for 8 or 9 years since the origional pultruded ones came out with out any problems.

I even strip vanes from my $275/doz. A/C/E target arrows like this with no problems.

I use acetone to clean both the shaft and the base of the vanes before gluing up with thin crazy glue. The acetone will not hurt the epoxy of the arrow in any way shape or form if you just wipe them off with a dampened towel. Soaking the arrow in it overnight would be a different story.

Cheers,
Pete

Thanks for the responses guys. Last night I tried one with a razor blade and acetone, then a quick rinse in warm water. It seemed to do the trick. I'll see how well the new vanes stick as soon as it stop rainning.

Thanks again.

0info4fAnimation.GIF

Take er easy
five_point_buck *

I use the AEA fast set glue for my vanes on carbon shafts. I too use a knife and acetone...except it doesn't seem like the acetone really cuts the glue. So, I've just stuck with scraping 99% of it off with a dull knife. When I've used a sharp knife, I notice I scrape up a little carbon here & there....but, that could just be my lack of talent...dunno.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom