Ready for winter?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
All i have left to do is check on my snowthrower, maybe put in a new plug. Aside that, this year the yard and place is ready for whatever mother nature, as much as can be, has to throw at us.

Still got outside chores to do? We've had outside morning temps in the teens all week, it's coming! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

The wood shed is stuffed and I cleaned gutters the other day.

My back is all stoved up either from cleaning gutters or a delayed reaction from deer season. I'm saying gutters. :)

I need to put new line on my steelhead reel, and I'll be set for winter!

Eel

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have one you probably will never need one again.

Sharpen the ice auger and I'm good to go! Good thing, as its snowin as I type!

>Eel, Do you think that this
>is going to effect you
>guys up north?
>
>http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/article42965040.html
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

Yes Joey. It's official. The crab season that was due to open tomorrow has been postponed until further notice. The Health Dept. will conduct weekly checks for toxins and will give the okay at some point. (we hope). My crab gear is all rigged and ready. I have plenty of rockfish carcasses in the freezer for bait. I'm not too upset because of my back issue. Plus the later it opens the bigger and better the crabs will be.

Eel

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have one you probably will never need one again.

Just got done grinding up the last of the meat, stacked wood in the house, and mommas getting set fof the dehydrater to finish up the last of the apples and jerky. Seems i am thinking similar to DW as i was looking at the auger and ice gear anticipating the first trip of the season.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

Joey doesn't fish or screw around on the ice, he just doesn't! I don't care how thick it is, maybe it could hold up a building. I ain't going out there on that ice. lol

I am going on a goose hunt up in Oregon with my old pard a couple weeks from now, looking forward to that. The camper is all loaded and i'll be spending a couple-few days camping backed up to a favorite spot on lake Almanor, bank fishing 2-6 pound trout.

The only ice i like is the shaved ice in my chilled Mt Dew! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

lmao Joey.....I'm with you on the ice deal....or more accurately "off" the ice. I ain't doing ice other than what is in my drink

Ready for winter but no tags this year, just a little game meat in the freezer.

I guess i could start a whole new thread on this topic but being having a full larder is part of being prepared for bad weather, i'll post up what i've done and you guys that care to, can post up any thoughts on your situation.

First off, there's no checks coming in the mail to my house. If i don't work, i don't get paid. Winter in these parts, is notoriously a slow time of the year, most wouldn't work outside if they could, the phone doesn't usually ring for work weeks at a time.

The local butchery in our town, i've posted of them before, they are excellent, just sold me a meat package.

40lbs chicken leg-thies wrapped 4 in a pack, $40.
20lbs country styl pork ribs wrapped 4 in a pack, $40.
20lbs Pork Steaks wrapped 2 in a pack, $40
20lbs breakfast sausage 1 1/2 lb in a pack, $40

That's 100 lbs of meat, cut and wrapped for $160. No, it won't last me thru the winter but it's a good bet there will be times i'll be glad that i bought it. Next i'll be getting another package containing boneless Chuck Roasts that i sometimes make into steaks, burger, and Bacon.

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-15 AT 06:48PM (MST)[p]That's a pretty good number your butcher gives you on that package sage. I'm sure you've seen what they're wantin for a 1lb package of Jimmy Dean sausage these days, ridiculous! I split a hog every year with a friend who's kids raise em for 4h. They raise 4, show and auction the 2 best lookin hogs and they butcher the other 2 for friends and family. Gonna have to raise my own when his kids graduate, gotten kinda used to that farm raised fresh hog! Got a dozen chickens left that I raised and butchered. A meat buck and bull that gave me alotta ground as well as 35 quarts of it I canned thanx to forkswest and bluejay. Start to pile up the geese soon and turn those into jalape?o/cheddar sticks. Mix in a few trout here and there. Just wish I'd take the time to put in a garden....maybe next spring!

P.S. Rabbits are thick as thieves. Probably put a couple dozen of them on ice, especially if I intend to follow thru on that garden.

Did most of my work before elk season....shut off the outside water, got a couple tons of wood pellets on the trailer and some firewood for the cabin, new snow tires for the belcher, servic d all the vehicles and spit shined a couple of chimneys.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom