Realistic goals for mountain goat hunting?

flyingbrass

What are realistic goals for mountain goats? It will be an August hunt in British Columbia.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

I guess it depends on the quality of the unit but I'd say in BC you should be able to get a 9 1/2 inch billy. Start judging as many as you can and figuring out what 10 inches looks like on curved horns. Don't forget to figure out the mass measurements. If there are a lot of goats plan to hunt hard and go for one that will book 52".

Before I hunted goats I used to think they all looked the same. That was before I started studying the nuances. Now I really appreciate the trophy quality of a big billy. Some people will say, "what is really the difference in 1" of horn--who cares". You can tell if you look at enough animals. Anything over 10" in my book is a really big goat. Start talking 10+ and you have something special-especially with some mass.

Its too bad you don't have a later hunt when you can get one with long hair. I think the hair hide is the best part of the trophy.

I guarantee you will be in some incredible country. Goat hunting is where its at!

Make sure you order a copy of "a beast the color of winter" by Chadwick. This is the definitive book on mountain goats in my opinion. Chadwick used to write for national geographic and undertook a 7 year study of goats where he basically lived with them. His observations are probably the basis of modern day mountain goat management. You will read that book and come away with a serious facination for that animal. You can tell I'm a little extraordinarily interested in goats.

Well being an August hunt I know you are heading into northern BC. Are you hunting the east or west side?

If you are hunting region 6 near the coast, the outfitter should be able to get you a 10 inch goat no problem. I have seen 3 year old billies have 10 inch horns on the coast side. They are big goats but they wont have the big bases like a 5-6 year old goat. If you are more in the middle and east your chances of taking a 10 inch goat are less probably more like a 9-10 inch. Either way this side will not have the bases as the coast side even with an old billy.

One thing I know is the hide will most likely look like crap (like a sheared sheep). I shot one one time Sept 1. and it just started getting a longer coat.

Being a BC resident, I am heading up August 1 for stones on the coast side and will also have a goat tag. But I am only looking for mature billy once a stone is down, one I know will score at least 50 inches or I wont be shooting.

Which outfitter are you going with?

BHB

+1 to gznokes

I also have an appreciation for the Mountain Goat. I had a tag in Utah last year and was instructed, by my brother, to read "a beast the color of winter". The author isn't much on hunting but he observed the beast with passion and shared his experiences with us.

I Loved every aspect of my hunt even more when I observed goat behavior with a bit more knowledge.

Have a good hunt flyingbrass, success on you, be safe!

Zeke

BTW; I can't be of any real help since I have no knowledge of your area (it sounds like other people are in-the-know) but I couldn't resist commenting about this cool animal.

You still spending your wife's trust fund?

Any goat will be a trophy. Just get one. Get a bigger one next year.

Good info, guys.. I'll be in BC next Oct on my 1st goat hunt. Cannot wait!

I'm going to have to check the book out.. Found it on Amazon for 16$.

------------------
DRSS

Flyingbrass,
Good luck on your hunt.One thing to remember don't get side tracked on the goat until after you get your ram.Goats won't have the long hair that they would in october but you should still be able to get a decent one. Do you have any other tags. You are going to a game rich area. I am one the boardmembers of the group where you won the hunt so send a story when you get back.
Jim

flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member
Jim,
Stone sheep is first for sure and ill be tickled if i fill that tag. I also got tags for wolf elk moose mt goat mt caribou and black bear. I figure i will fill at least one of the others but ill be satisfied eating all the tags if i get a good stone. I lost 14pounds down to 197 at age 37. Hiking with a 35lb pack up a very steep mtn 3 days a week, lifting 2 days, and mixinup the 6 day and rest on day 7. Most gear is together. Now im studin the critters. Goat hide wont be great and moose might be in velvet so i need input on these items. Hunt is Aug 14-29 fwiw. Any advise is appreciated. I got a duffle bag so i can carry my sheep horns and cape as my carryon. All other stuff could be replaced if lost so im playin it safe.

I haven't hunted with Larry but know a bunch that have. I have hunted with three other outfitters up that way and the one thing that amazes me is you never know what you are going to see around the next bend in the river or over the next hill. I did kill an awesome Stone sheep up there 2 years ago with the outfitter right alongside where you will be. In fact one of Larry's hunters saw it earlier in the season and could not get on it. Worked out for me though!

I am not sure if any of the airlines are taking horns or capes.I don't remember the airline that flies to Ft Nelson but I think they don't allow any animal parts. I know we shipped mine thru a taxidermist in Pouce Coupe(think thats it). Larry should have it all worked out.

I also think towards the last week of your hunt the elk should be pretty worked up and be getting better each day. Wolves are an animal that can present themselves at any time. the same with moose,you never know when the will show up.

You are really in for a great experiance.If I had only one place to hunt it would be northern B.C

Jim

+1 to Jim aka grdslam 1367
When I was there in 2003 and finished my Slam/Full Curl (#1121) with a Stone I was told that an ?expediter? had to get my ram across the border (assuming you live in the States). The airlines would not fly them, so I was told.
Things are FAR different than they were on an early trip to Mongolia when my Bro and I carried 11 trophies home with us and delivered them to the taxidermist ourselves!!!!!!!!!
Yes, things are very different when it comes to animals and International borders!
Good luck, work on the Stone FIRST!
Zeke

PS; I've not stayed up on your conversations.... is this Ross Peck's old area?

Yes it is. Alot of really good rams have come out of that area over the years.

True grdslam1367!
The Tochodi area is really good according to the "big boys"!
Lots of good rams past and present.
I still don't know much about the goats in the area...sorry.
Thanks
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom