reattaching antelope horns

• Thread starter thebuckstopshere518
  • Start date
T

thebuckstopshere518

i was wondering what you guys use to reattach antelope horns. I am doing my first euro and i have heard good and bad things about the different ways of putting them back on. Most people say to use bondo but i have read posts that people have ruined their skulls doing it. I also have heard about mixing modeling clay and elmers glue to put them on. Have any of you heard of this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

I always heard the purpose of bondo was to prevent the horns from shrinking. Does electric glue or elmer's glue stop the shrinking as well?

No it will not. They will shrink no matter what you use to adhear them. I personlly use bondo.

How in the world could you possibly damage a set of horns using Bondo? I've reattached several hundred using Bondo over the past 25 years. Never had a single problem.

Here is how I do it!
I use bondo to attatch the horns to the skull butts. The reason why is not for shrinking but to ensure bugs do not find a way into the horn and eat away your trophy.
1.Salt and dry horns and skull for two weeks.
2.If a euro is planned bleach skull and clear lacquer. Varnish
or shellac inside of horn, this seals and bug proofs.
3.Pencil line the base of the horns on the skull butts.
4.Remove horns and drill random 1/4 holes in skull butts.
5.Mix bondo and with a tongue depressor or like tool and smear
over skull butts and into horns.
6.Slide horns down to pencil line and adjust positioning.
7.As bondo kicks off, with a knife trim bondo from horn base.
Paul
"Nice Rack" Taxidermy

No way can you ruin it using bondo. Even if you were all thumbs and got bondo on the skull, just wait till it gels and it pops off easily. Just don't let it get rock hard before removing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom