Rechambering question

D

Dirtysteve

How hard would it be to rechamber a 338 Win mag to a 338 Ultra mag? And what price am I looking at?
Thanks

I don't know much but here are a few things that have to be taken into consideration...

1. is the magazine long enough for loaded ultra cartages, so you don't have to seat the bullets really deep thus taking away the "ultra".
2. I think the bolt faces are the same but don't know for absolutely sure...
3. will the rails have to be opened up to alow for smother feeding of the monster cases?

If your action will work then chambering costs are around $100-$150... depending on area...

Good luck and let us know how it turns out if you do it.

Ivan

That is something I didn't consider. Can anybody enlighten me on this?
One more question. If I do this I am only gaining a few hundred fps do you think it is worth it?
I have been impressed with the ballistics of an ultra but the Win mag is proven.
What's everbody opinion on this?

My honest opinion... What you gain over the winny in negligable at reasonable ranges... So you can shoot an inch flatter at 300 yards, so what in the field you will never notice. The 338 Ultra is getting up to the thresh hold of PAIN as well. I personally don't think its worth your time or money. If you want the ultra sell your gun and buy one, you would be better off and it will more than likely save you money.

Ivan

Dirtysteve;
I have to agree with Bambistew, the small difference is not worth it. also the ultra mag ammo is very high priced and hard to find at most stores. The 338 mag is hard to beat as it is, and the ammo will be around for the next 20 years, The ultra mag may go the way of the Dodo bird and not be on the market ten years from now.
RELH

Dirtysteve,

I'll bet your 338 win mag has at most a 26" barrel and I don't think the ultramag is much better in anything less than a 28" barrel......Save your money.

JB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom