Recoil comparison 270WSM to 257 Weatherby or 7mag

ClarkW

Looking at picking up a used 270WSM for my wife. She is a little recoil sensitive. Does anyone have a recoil comparison to a Weatherby 257 magnum. She can shoot one of those, but a 7mm mag is definitly too much.

Did you look at the ballistic tables? I would say that judging by the fact that a ..270 WSM will "wing" a 140 faster than a 7RM will, that you did not.
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/compare/rifle_compare.aspx

There will be somebody that will pipe up w/the results that you want. But, a .270 WSM kicks to much...simple Newtonian Physics, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Now, there is more to it than that, but if you are pushing a 140 grain bullet, and one is faster than the other, it is going to kick more.

Now, all things being equal, if you take cartridges from the same family, say 25-06, 270. 280 and '06 the bigger calibre will push the same bullet weight faster than as the area of the base of the bullet is larger and the same amount of pressure will give you more fps as the same amount of pressure, on a larger area gives you more thrust...therefore to get a small diameter bullet (like in a .270 WSM) to move faster than a larger one (like the 7RM), of the same weight...you gonna need more pressure. More pressure---more kick.

What are you trying to accomplish?

I suggest that you get a .270 Winchester, 7-08 or .280 and have her shoot it more than she would shoot a magnum.
John 14:6

One of the things i really like about my 270WSM is the recoil out of my particular rifle, it really is not that bad. I'll be the first to complain of rifles that kick too much. I shot my friends old Rem .270 Rem 700 BDL with his handloads and once was more than enough, thank you. My Uncles Savage left handed 30-06 felt like a near knock-out to me every time i shot the thing.

Many here have spoke of their wife or child having taken game and liking to shoot the 270WSM. Mine is about all i want in the recoil dept but then i'm loading 140 grs hot and am very recoil shy. I didn't much care for the "blast" of my .257 Weatherby and much preferred my 25-06 between the two. It's hard saying, everybody is different and different manufactures design their guns, or not, with felt recoil in mind.

Certainly, the 270WSM is no bone crusher in the recoil dept but for what it will/can do down range, it's a bad azz little boy!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I have a 270 WSM (my new project rifle) and a .257 Weatherby. Both rilfe are Weatherby Vanguards with the 270 WSM being a SUB MOA. There is a very noticeable difference in recoil. I can shoot the .257 all day and not notice it. I can't do that with the 270 WSM. It is manageable but there is a big difference in recoil. The 270 WSM is about the top for recoil for me without a muzzle break which I don't want hence the new 270 WSM.

It all depends on the rifle configuration and how well it fits the shooter. If you are speaking of a lightweight gun like a tikka it's Gunna beat the snot out of her. And if the 257 has a 24" pipe the muzzle blast will be high

I had a 700 lss in 270 ask that was a real pussycat to shoot but it was on the heavy side due to the laminate stock.

get her a blackhawk axiom dual recoil reducing stock. I was going to give up my 300 win mag because of recoil, I bought one of these and can shoot it all day. No bull, it works and I don't work for them just a happy customer.

Bought my wife a savage model 16. With the factory muzzle break. She turns it on at the range. And off when we are hunting. It is a tack driver.

Ive only shot the 270WSM out of a Kimber Montana. Shes got a bite. I dont mind recoil as my personal "go to" rifle is a 300 Wthby but appciate a rifle that doesnt beat the hell out me either. If recoil is of concern I would also check into a 7 08, 270, 280, etc or mabey even a 6.5 Creedmore.

I'll need a neck down pic to make an informed suggestion....

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

A few years back I bought my wife a savage 270WSM and had George Vias put a muzzle break on it and that thing still kicked like a mule, I would have rather shot my 300RUM without a break then it. My father inlaw didn't like it either, so we took it back to the gun shop and trade it for a 300SAUM and she is a happy camper now.

Chuck in Boise

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom