Recommendations on spotting scopes

Jonstone

Hello besides leica or swaros...does anyone out there have recommendations for a backpacking scope for elk hunting..also what do you recommend as far as tripods for backpack hunting.

I like the Nikon ED50. Not the light gathering power of some with bigger objectives, but worth the trade to me for the weight.

At $1200 for the setup I'd be looking at the 65mm Razor with a good tripod/head combo, or possibly a 65mm Zeiss diascope. The razor can be had for around $950 new. A used zeiss maybe another $50-100. I have heard a lot of people like the compact Leupold GR 60mm as well, but I haven't used it. I'll be in the same boat next year as I try to upgrade my setup. I'll be looking at a Kowa 660 series as well.

Nikon ed50 with the 13-40 zoom eyepiece. Then get the 16x fixed wide angle eyepiece to switch out. That scope with those eyepieces are a killer setup.

Another thing you can do is buy a vortex tripod adapter for your binos. I see so many more animals when my binos are on tripods and I'm not using my knees for rest.

5295image.jpg

Here is that little sweetheart with the 13-40 eyepiece.

4108image.jpg

Here she is with the 16x fixed wide angle. Talk about eye relief and field of view. Get it done then show all those vortex fanboys in the field what they are missing. If rather have this setup than anything vortex.

Or just go buy a swaro and be done......

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

I have always bought swaro's for my optics but couldnt justify spending that much on a spotting scope,so got the razor hd 99% as good as sworos and alot cheaper,with their high country light stand works great but i still spend 90% of the time using my 20x56 sworos glasses on that high country stand,you can cover alot more ground quickly without fumbling around with that spotting scope

I am still looking at spotters. Kowa sure keeps coming up a lot. I have been looking at them very hard. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom