Recovered Bullets

LCHC

The reason I switched bullets and looking for a new topic in the off season.

Caliber: .25 (.25-06 rifle)
Velocity: 2850 fps
Bullet: 115 gr Barnes TSX (non-tipped)

Bullet on the left was recovered out of a mule deer?s skull. My son hit his mule deer 4 times in the kill zone and he wouldn't go down. The skull shot did the job. Didn?t even know he hit him in the head the last shot until we took the deer to the taxidermist. Distance was 350 ? 375 yards. I believe the 4 shots just blew threw him like full metal jacketed bullets.

Bullet on the right was recovered out of my 2013 Coues deer. He was lying down and I hit him right in the kill zone across a canyon at 192 yards. Not sure why it didn't just punch threw other than maybe it was because it hit solid ground on the back side.

After seeing these results I sold all my non-tipped Barnes TSX to JFRWC. I lost all confidence with the non-tipped bullets after these two experiences. What I was told is that the non-tipped bullets are for heavy hided animals and just blow threw thin hided animals and that is the reason Barnes came out with the tipped triple shock bullets.

I switched to Nosler 110 gr Accubonds in this gun but the only game animal I got this year was a Coues deer shot in the head at 450 yards. Wasn?t shooting for head but that's what I got. I tend to get a little excited. It shattered his skull and skull plate and I really didn't want to go digging to recover the bullet. On a side note I didn't ruin any meat.

Also, I still use the Barnes Tipped Triple Shock bullets in lot of different calibers. Excellent bullet.

This is only my opinion and experience using Barnes TSX (non-tipped) bullets.

Let's see your results and opinions.

9884bullets-1.jpg

1210bullets-2.jpg

I also shoot the .25-06. Awesome gun in its place. I wonder if the ranges you are shooting isn't pushing its limits just a bit. It's all but out of energy at those ranges and cannot expand correctly? Just a thought. I stick to ballistic tips and they always do me just fine. Had that one big Barbary ram absorb 3 silver tips at 450 and just keep on going..... That's why I say range is just too far for energy....

I'm not a fan of the solid copper bullets unless they are shot out of a high caliber gun like a 300 or something of that magnitude. I think those bullets are awesome but only preform well with a lot of power behind them. That is why they came out with the tipped ones from Barnes but still not sold on them either. I do like the nosler acubond but I would only use them on deer and or smaller game like pronghorns. I've just had bad experiences with big game like elk with those bullets. A lot of guys say they dont do well on oryx either. Can't go wrong with a bonded bear claw bullet. Yes they are an expensive bullet but IMO the best out there. They also make a tipped one thats tough to beat. The partition has always proved it's worth and to me is everyone's favorite and I can see why... The front half is a soft expanding point and has a solid middle to pile drive through bone. Great bullet.

There are many out there that preform better with diff calibers then others.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-15 AT 00:31AM (MST)[p]Tinemaster, totally agree with you brother. Monolithic bullets such as Barnes and Hornady GMX require anywhere from 1,800 to 2,000 fps at any given range to expand reliably. The .30 caliber magnums work well with these bullets. I especially like the 180 gr. Barnes TSX or TTSX in the .300 WSM, WIN, WTHBY, and Ultra Mags. We like these combos for tough critters like elk and oryx. That said, recently we've been using the Trophy Bonded Tip offerings from Federal Premium in many calibers and would not hesitate to recommend these loads to anyone to hunt everything. We've tried them all and now we feel like we found the best. I sure wish these bullets were available for handloading.

Here are some pics of some beautiful recovered 175/180 grain (97% retention) bullets found on the opposite side, just under the hide of elk.

3141image.jpg

That's what I thought also Paul when I put a few threw the chronograph. I wanted a little more speed and a different bullet so I went to 110 gr AccuBond and now they are pushing out quite a bit faster. A little too much powder because now I'm splitting cases. I need to tone it down a little. Since then I bought a .257 Weatherby Mag so going to push them out a little faster.

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-15
>AT 00:31?AM (MST)

>
>Tinemaster, totally agree with you brother.
>Monolithic bullets such as Barnes
>and Hornady GMX require anywhere
>from 1,800 to 2,000 fps
>at any given range to
>expand reliably. The .30 caliber
>magnums work well with these
>bullets. I especially like the
>180 gr. Barnes TSX or
>TTSX in the .300 WSM,
>WIN, WTHBY, and Ultra Mags.
>We like these combos for
>tough critters like elk and
>oryx. That said, recently we've
>been using the Trophy Bonded
>Tip offerings from Federal Premium
>in many calibers and would
>not hesitate to recommend these
>loads to anyone to hunt
>everything. We've tried them all
>and now we feel like
>we found the best. I
>sure wish these bullets were
>available for handloading.
>
>Here are some pics of some
>beautiful recovered 175/180 grain (97%
>retention) bullets found on the
>opposite side, just under the
>hide of elk.
>
>
3141image.jpg

30 caliber crazyelk?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-15 AT 06:35PM (MST)[p]DW, .30 cal 180 grain Trophy Bonded Tips (.500 B.C) out of .300 WSM @ 3,037 fps and from three different elk. Shots from 323 to 483 yards. We are consistently getting passthroughs at shorter distances with quarter sized exists. Love these bullets!!

That's where I was goin crazyelk. I don't reload and don't get pass thru with 30 cal (300win,30.06) but almost always get it with my 7mm (elk). Always under 100yds as I'm in the trees. I would guess that it has to do with bullet diameter. Generally shoot same weight bullet 150's in all 3 and take broadside lung shots(no shoulder shots).

Yes, there are lots of great bullets on the market now,

These bullets were recovered from an Oryx shot at 500 and 750 yards with a .300 win mag. The Barnes TSX are perform very well, are very accurate and I really like the fact they are unleaded. Some of you are familiar with how tough oryx are. The Barnes TSX puts them down even at extended ranges.

Happy hunting!

>Yes, there are lots of great
>bullets on the market now,
>
>
>These bullets were recovered from an
>Oryx shot at 500 and
>750 yards with a .300
>win mag. The Barnes
>TSX are perform very well,
>are very accurate and I
>really like the fact they
>are unleaded. Some of
>you are familiar with how
>tough oryx are. The
>Barnes TSX puts them down
>even at extended ranges.
>
>Happy hunting!

Sorry, can't upload pics. I will try again later but both bullets have very little mushroom yet passed through to lodge under skin of far side of oryx.

Crazy elk , Those are some textbook recoveries there my friend! Such a great bullet. Definitely one of the best out there!

I dont have Pics but have a bunch (probably more than a dozen) accubond 130s that I have recovered from deer and antelope and there peformance expansion has been about perfect. The shots ranged from probaably 200 out to 375. Oh yea, these were from a 270 at about 2950 fps.

Personally, I shoot a 115 gr Berger Hunting VLD in my 25-06. I have used the Hunting VLD bullets on whitetail deer with good success. My load is:

25-06 Remington
115 Berger VLD ? Hunting seated .090" from the lands
Hodgdon H4831-SC 53.4 gr
Remington brass case - 67.1 gr H2O capacity
Federal 210M primer
COAL - 3.230"
Velocity - 3074 fps SD 13 fps
Accuracy - MOA to 600 yards

8194photo.jpg

180 Grain Barnes Tipped Triple Shock. This was from an Elk shot at 525 yards. It was hit in vitals and went a few feet. I weighed the bullet again and it retained approx. 100% of its weight. To date I have never had an animal walk more than a couple of steps after this combo out of my 300RUM. ELK, Deer and Oryx.

180 Grain TSX 300WSM @ 377 yards. Went 20 yards and tipped over. Bullet recovered just under the hide.

4640img_20141116_160023_120.jpg

2993img_20141116_163454_491.jpg

8676img_20141116_194256_056.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom