Red Canyon Success !!

NMboltripper

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-10 AT 03:10PM (MST)[p]Had a very fortunate Oryx hunt!

They estimated the success rate at 60%. Very tough hunt. We had 38 total hunters and 21 tagged out. I had my hunting buddy Tony with me, so my odds were very good.

This hunt was on White Sands Missile Range so there were tons of rules and regs to follow and go over. There were 3 check-points and a half-hour briefing before being released to go Oryx hunting. We took off at 0630 after getting up at 0300. We saw a couple of small ones right after dawn and decided to let the young ones go. We headed for the foothills of Red Canyon. Very few animals on this hunt. We decided to glass a bit near the foothills. Tony spotted one 500 yards off, but so did 2 other hunting parties and the chase was on. We decided to see where the other hunters pushed this guy and like most Oryx, he just disappeared.

We found some more roughly 1.5 miles away and decided to put a stalk on. We walked in 2 miles or so and thought we were all alone and a truck pulls up and screws up the whole stalk. So we hunker down for awhile to see if anything moves. Nothing. We hike back out and decide to change our plan. Now it's 1500 and animals are starting to move again. I spot something out of the side of my eye. I thought it was another truck, but it was a porta-potty that had blown off a cliff. Remember this is an active bombing range that has bizarre stuff strewn about. Tony again spots an Oryx standing right by the porta-potty. I laze him at 621 yards and get set up. While getting set-up this Oryx moves a little and I didn't see it. I send the round and miss 2 feet in front of him. Gone.

We drive on and the only music on the radio station is some Christian Rock. Well I like Jesus and we come to a T in the road. I choose right (imagine that). We drive up in some more rough country and I yell for Tony to STOP!!. There's a face staring at me. I jump out and drill him at 80 yards off hand. I used a 338 Lapua Magnum and it dropped him on the spot! Many hunters have had their trophies run off because they weren't using "enough" gun. Not me. I had a cannon. And I shoot it very well.

We tagged out at 1535 and then the fun began. We (Tony) worked very quickly and we had him packed in by 1700. We checked out at the gate and it measured 30 inches. No trophy, but a great animal in my book.

Overall a very hard, but satisfying hunt, with or without an animal. This time I was fortunate and we have delicious Oryx meat for the Holidays.

100_0325.jpg

Great oryx. Looks like you got him in the hills. Love that rifle. If I reloaded I would get one.
Be a nice mount.

Hey.. I think I remember you from the breifing!

Congrats on the animal. It is a trophy!

I ended up passing a few and went home with a 33" cow. It was a quick decision and I took the shot.
There were quite a few animals in the SW corner, and one or two monsters, but my quick decision ended the deliberation.

I hope I wasn't the one in the truck that messed up yor stalk, we were in a grey megacab.

How do you like the T5 stock? It looks like a sweet handling rig and a hammer to boot!

IChaseCous
- congratulations on your "33 cow!! Nice!

I got that bull in the foothills (SW corner) all alone. Dumb bull...

Yes, it is a Manners T5A. I love it. This 338 LM shoots like a 308 all day long. Tony found the bullet. 250gr in and 67gr out. It destroyed his shoulder, but dropped him like a rock!

Hunt safe, take care.

-Mike

Great picture.
Like the gun setup it looks like a shooter.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom