Red Desert Pronghorn 80”+

Why not post the pic of it on the ground or wall instead of the blurry pic from distance?
Ok.

10041618491.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

Boy those prongs are low
Yep, and a classic case of 16 3/4 inch length not being enough to make 80 net. But, not many pronghorn in Wyoming make it over 16 inches.

Although, that same year a friend killed a buck in the same area, that net scored 84 and was just over 17 inches and had real weak prongs.

Interesting buck. Deserves a place on the garage wall. What year?

My post was calling for photos of long-horned bucks taken in 2023, whose horn formation had been affected by the severe winter of 2022/23.

Between my wife and I we have 5 officially scored net B&C pronghorn from Wyoming ,none over 16.
Buzz - B&C records show you w/ one pronghorn in the all-time book, and a woman, presumably your wife, w/ three in the annual-awards list.

Just curious… but what happened to book buck No. 5?

Buzz - B&C records show you w/ one pronghorn in the all-time book, and a woman, presumably your wife, w/ three in the annual-awards list.

Just curious… but what happened to book buck No. 5?
That would be this buck, my wife shot. Officially scored but never entered, her highest scoring buck as well. Also a buck of several lifetimes with lots of extra character.

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

Very nice and unique buck. Amazing how all the neat extras and uniqueness really does not show in the Live Photo.

Outstanding buck. Congrats to your wife.

Any reason why, after entering four pronghorn with B&C, you (or she) decided not to enter this one?

Last edited:
Boy those prongs are low
As you probably know, B&C scoring can disadvantage pronghorns with low prongs by pushing three of the four circumference measurements above the prong. This, and the fact that Buzz’ buck has, at best, average prongs and mass, results in a score below 80”, notwithstanding the exceptional length.

It is probably good that Buzz burned a tag on this interesting, but otherwise somewhat freaky buck, by getting its genes out of the gene-pool.

In contrast, my 2023 buck has relatively high prongs. For my table-scoring, I took only two circumference measurements below the prong, but it is a close call. It would not surprise me if an official scorer would decide to take three measurements below the prong. We’ll see.

HT

As you probably know, B&C scoring can disadvantage pronghorns with low prongs by pushing three of the four circumference measurements above the prong. This, and the fact that Buzz’ buck has, at best, average prongs and mass, results in a score below 80”, notwithstanding the exceptional length.

It is probably good that Buzz burned a tag on this interesting, but otherwise somewhat freaky buck, by getting its genes out of the gene-pool.

In contrast, my 2023 buck has relatively high prongs. For my table-scoring, I took only two circumference measurements below the prong, but it is a close call. It would not surprise me if an official scorer would decide to take three measurements below the prong. We’ll see.

HT
That buck got 2 mass measurements below the prong and gross scored over 80.

It's interesting that you feel 16 3/4 inch bucks have bad genetics.

I should see if I can find the photo's of the buck my friend killed out there the same year that was over 17...he had an interesting name for that buck.

For the record, that buck of yours is not even close to getting 3 mass measurements below the prong.

Last edited:
Might do HT..how many inches do you have from the base to the prong?? If its a little less than nine inches I mean a hair less it might make it

My buck is at the taxidermist, so I no longer have the horns in my hands. I’ll retrieve the horns after the sixty day drying period to have them officially measured.

And c’mon, Buzz. There’s a reason that freaky buck is in your garage. :ROFLMAO:

Yes - go check out exetreme outfitters IG page, Rolodex of big WY bucks this year and some 16+ easily.
All the ones I looked at on Instagram look to be well under 16 tall to me some
really good forced angles on several of them.

Like what's already been stated 16" tall bucks are highly unusual in wyo and most of the bucks that make the book aren't exceptionally tall. Length is the third thing I look for in a buck when im looking for big high scoring bucks

Whether bad photography or not, I’ve never been one to push an animal way out ahead of me, like some fisherman holding his trout at arm’s length, just to give the illusion of a bigger buck. In my field photos, I try to be right beside the animal.

I have no beef with those who do pose well behind their animal. We’re all hunters, who at some level need to stand together. So as long as it’s legal… to each his own.

HT

Hard to tell, with field photos and .5 lens overuse nowdays. That's not what I'd call short, I'd say 7.5" to top of prong and 8.5 from top of prong to tip. So I'd guess roughly 16. Definately long below prong.

Whether bad photography or not, I’ve never been one to push an animal way out ahead of me, like some fisherman holding his trout at arm’s length, just to give the illusion of a bigger buck. In my field photos, I try to be right beside the animal.

I have no beef with those who do pose well behind their animal. We’re all hunters, who at some level need to stand together. So as long as it’s legal… to each his own.

HT
FWIW, I'm not seeing 80 on the initial buck. Not meant to be negative, but I'd never guess it at that. It's a pretty nice buck regardless of numbers. Have it measured and enter into B&C awards if it makes it.

Hard to tell, with field photos and .5 lens overuse nowdays. That's not what I'd call short, I'd say 7.5" to top of prong and 8.5 from top of prong to tip. So I'd guess roughly 16. Definately long below prong.
15 maybe a hair over could of been 15 1/4 I dont remember exactly I also score with a tight tape. I can honestly say I've never seen a 16" tall goat hit the dirt in wyo

15 maybe a hair over could of been 15 1/4 I dont remember exactly I also score with a tight tape. I can honestly say I've never seen a 16" tall goat hit the dirt in wyo
Scores are BS until the guy who's an official measurer does it. I"ve got a half dozen that were officially measured over 16"

Scores are BS until the guy who's an official measurer does it. I"ve got a half dozen that were officially measured over 16"
I'm not saying they don't get killed in wyo I'm saying I've never seen one hit the dirt. I've seen bucks that would probably go 16 tall but they either didn't have mass or not much cutter or usually both to where they didn't look to me like they would book.

And to answer your other question idk what pic your referring to in the side view yes his head was about as long as his chest big headed big bodied red dessert buck. In the frontal shots no his head isn't as broad as his chest

I was just looking back and think i have 8 bucks that officially measured 16 or longer. 2 from WY (rifle), one from AZ (Muzzleloader), 2 from MT (archery) and 3 from MT rifle. A handful of other really great ones in the 14s and 15s from MT and WY. Start and new thread "real 16s". :)

I was just looking back and think i have 8 bucks that officially measured 16 or longer. 2 from WY (rifle), one from AZ (Muzzleloader), 2 from MT (archery) and 3 from MT rifle. A handful of other really great ones in the 14s and 15s from MT and WY. Start and new thread "real 16s". :)
I wouldn't have any to contribute ? that's really cool though 16" bucks are a rare thing here

Always like a good antelope thread with pictures and arguments. This is one of the first years I've went without a buck antelope permit somewhere, maybe the first time since 1991. I did draw a MT b tag and got a doe with an arrow couple weeks back so have had some fresh steaks. Changed my profile pic to last year's buck, Not16" but did measure over 15 and a P&Y buck.

Always like a good antelope thread with pictures and arguments. This is one of the first years I've went without a buck antelope permit somewhere, maybe the first time since 1991. I did draw a MT b tag and got a doe with an arrow couple weeks back so have had some fresh steaks. Changed my profile pic to last year's buck, Not16" but did measure over 15 and a P&Y buck.
You've definitely killed your share of big ones hopefully numbers come back up and so do tags

B&C, P&Y, SCI, don't care a whoop about none and not because I don't have horns and racks that qualify. Score is an inaccurate way to judge a trophy, but the best way that I know, so I tend to talk B&C gross. Gross score gives an idea how big the specimen is compared to others, but doesn't really tell the whole story.
I'll never kill the biggest of anything, but that doesn't mean what I have isn't cool to me. I'll never get tired of looking at my horns and racks. Each one is a different story. Big and old is where it's at; and the bigger the gross, the better.

Awesome bucks on here everyone!

B&C, P&Y, SCI, don't care a whoop about none and not because I don't have horns and racks that qualify. Score is an inaccurate way to judge a trophy, but the best way that I know, so I tend to talk B&C gross. Gross score gives an idea how big the specimen is compared to others, but doesn't really tell the whole story.
I'll never kill the biggest of anything, but that doesn't mean what I have isn't cool to me. I'll never get tired of looking at my horns and racks. Each one is a different story. Big and old is where it's at; and the bigger the gross, the better.

Awesome bucks on here everyone!
I think that might be the best description of what a trophy should be.

Im relatively new to pronghorn judging. I've got two, my wife one, my oldest boy one. All probably 68-71. They are a party to hunt, delicious to eat, and very unique. Tags for decent areas are seemingly getting hard to draw. Im the 1st to say judging them is a skill that I'm still learning. I hope I get more practice. A lot more practice.

Thanks for putting my thread back up to the top of the stack. Let’s keep it here!

After I get my buck back from the taxi, you will get an official score sheet.

If it nets over 80”, and I am confident it will, I will submit it to B&C. Unlike some here, I don’t have any reasons for not reporting a legally taken animal.

HT

Thanks for putting my thread back up to the top of the stack. Let’s keep it here!

After I get my buck back from the taxi, you will get an official score sheet.

If it nets over 80”, and I am confident it will, I will submit it to B&C. Unlike some here, I don’t have any reasons for not reporting a legally taken animal.

HT
I believe they were asking for an update because you mentioned earlier that you would pick the horns up from the taxidermist to have them scored once the drying period was complete.

I think more than a few of us are interested to know at this point, for various reasons.

I believe they were asking for an update because you mentioned earlier that you would pick the horns up from the taxidermist to have them scored once the drying period was complete.

I think more than a few of us are interested to know at this point, for various reasons.
I understand your interest. Mine too!

My taxi’s shop is a two hour drive away from my home. If I thought the buck might go over 82”, I would have made that round-trip to have it scored right after the drying requirement. But because I think it will end up about 81”, I decided against the additional four hour round-trip.

I’ll have it scored after picking it up from the taxi. I doubt it will have changed much by then.

Thanks for asking.

HT

Last edited:
Most of the ones asking are asking because they are a$$es. I am sure many are curious but this is ridiculous. What does it really matter? It is a great buck, end of story.
I'm not sure what part of my post you find ridiculous. HT said he was going to do something earlier in the thread so I simply pointed that out since it is time. I have genuine curiosity as to what the buck scores. Antelope are interesting to me. I have one B&C and one P&Y that barely make book but have harvested a few others I thought would make it but they fell a little short.

As to the rest of the back and forth from a few months ago, I have no comment.

I'm not sure what part of my post you find ridiculous. HT said he was going to do something earlier in the thread so I simply pointed that out since it is time. I have genuine curiosity as to what the buck scores. Antelope are interesting to me. I have one B&C and one P&Y that barely make book but have harvested a few others I thought would make it but they fell a little short.

As to the rest of the back and forth from a few months ago, I have no comment.
Sorry, I was throwing that ridiculous at the masses, not you specifically. He also said he was going to measure it when he got it back from the taxi. We will all have to just wait a bit.

Report back with an official score, that would be interesting.

Oh, and here's something interesting since you seem to want to talk about interesting things other than pronghorn scores.

Don't care what it scores, but definitely not going to try to make it an 85 inch buck. I may try to kill him if he survives until my season opens.

Interesting enough for you?

View attachment 120131

View attachment 120132
I’d kill that one fo sho!!

wow, just asking! whatever the score, either + or - of 80" and you'll win the wyomingwedon'tgiveashit trophy, since you love awards
The awards just come. Don’t ask for them… they just come.

But if you don’t give a chit… why do you keep asking? Like a dumb moth to a flame, right?

So, thanks again for keeping my thread on top. Let’s take this into the New Year! :cool:

HT

Last edited:
Hey Hornedtoad curious as to the score on your pronghorn buck, get it officially scored yet?

No, but thanks for asking. I decided to wait until I get it back from the taxidermist. I’ll post the score sheet then.

Does anyone have an update on range conditions in the Red Desert this winter?

This is only a general question. Not looking for jm77’s hidey-hole. 🤔🤔🤔

No, but thanks for asking. I decided to wait until I get it back from the taxidermist. I’ll post the score sheet then.

Not bad 3 more winters like this there might be almost as many antelope as there should be

Don't even hunt there @HornedAss

Name calling is the product of a small mind.

HT
"Aren’t you the doofus who guessed my pronghorn at low-70’s?"-HT

"Shows the low level of expectations to which this forum has sunk, due to regular snark from the old farts lurking on this site."-HT

Those are just a couple of your comments on this forum without hardly looking, so who has a "small mind"? :poop: This also seems to be one of your favorites towards others on here.
You chose to add me in your comment for no reason yesterday, so what do you call that?

Last edited:
Horned Toad I was on your side from day 1. Some of these jokers think they can score from one or two pictures. BUT I have recently started to question my loyalty to you, just get the dam buck scored and post it, if its less than 80" just own it. If you are going to keep chirping have something to chirp about.

It's well past the dry period, what's the official results? Pics are bad, but even gifting it more than I should I'm not seeing 80 gross. I'm always interested in the ones that trick me, but I'm getting under 15" for length. 6.5 for both bottoms and 6.5 total on top with a 5" prong. I'd say 79 gross would be over generous. Excited to be wrong. Regardless, a nice looking buck.

Hey Horned Toad - I do not have a dog in this fight but I am following to see what it scores so...you can PM me the score sheet and I promise not to share. I live in Iowa and have no friends anyway :censored:.

I enjoy antelope hunting and I am not one to be too picky - fortunately for me some really nice bucks just happened to be the first ones we encountered. A lot of nice bucks showing up in this string of messages.

It's well past the dry period, what's the official results? Pics are bad, but even gifting it more than I should I'm not seeing 80 gross. I'm always interested in the ones that trick me, but I'm getting under 15" for length. 6.5 for both bottoms and 6.5 total on top with a 5" prong. I'd say 79 gross would be over generous. Excited to be wrong. Regardless, a nice looking buck.
IMG_0594.jpeg

My Red Desert pronghorn is on the wall (upper right). He net scored 79-6/8”, so won’t be in any book, but still shows well matched with my two 85” gross antelope, being noticeably bigger in body and head and more vividly marked.

My Wyoming bighorn is on the left.

It’s been fun engaging with you guys on MM. Good luck on your future hunts.

HT

P.S. I had to break the photo in two to post.

IMG_0036.jpeg

IMG_0036.jpeg

Last edited:
My Red Desert pronghorn is on the wall. He net scored 79-6/8”, but still shows well matched with my two 85” gross antelope, being noticeably bigger in body and head and more vividly marked.

My Wyoming bighorn is on the left.

It’s been fun engaging with you guys on MM. Good luck on your future hunts.

HT
What did it gross? You tell the net on one but the gross on the other two 🤔?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom