Red Dot sight on a Muzzle Loader?

Cow Tag

Did any of you muzzle loader hunters ever attach a red dot type sight on your smoke pole? I recently purchased a Tru Glo brand red dot 2X sight and was thinking about mounting it on my TC Encore. Any comments or opinions about doing something like this? This new sight does have a 2X magnification instead of the usual zero power. Just wondering if anyone had installed a sight like this on your muzzle loader. CowTag.

Seems to be a "love hate relationship" with dot scopes, especially an electronic one.
Personally....i hate 'em both.

Here's my beef with them-
#1- ANYTHING that's electronic will fail at some point, why trust it on the opportunity of a lifetime?

#2- I can never beleive or trust something that is never at a "true center". That dot moves all over the inside of that scope with ANY movement of your head on the stock.
Try this-
Point you gun at something and look at it through your scope, but not necessarily with your dot fixed on it. Now without moving the rifle off the target, move your head the slightest bit on the stock and watch that dot move and the iron sight stay's on the target. Which one are you going to trust, that dot that's now clear up in the right or left corner, or that iron sight on the end of the barrel that's still on it's target?
Nuff said ;-)

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

I use a bushnell holosight and I love it, with this scope or a red dot scope there is little difference if your sight picture is centered or not. The owners manual for my scope says at 100 yards it does not matter where your head is in comparison to the scope as long as the image is on the target. I tried this at the range and I still shot right where I was aiming.
I had a leupold red dot before this and that manual said that your shot could be 1/2 inch off at 100 yards if your dot was all the way to the outside of the scope.
I would recommend to put your gun in a vice, line up the sight and then look through your scope without touching the gun and move your head, you will see that the dot stays on the target.
Good luck...

I put a Bushnell Trophy dot scope on my TC Encore and it did a heck of a good job for me this year. I think I only paid about $80 for the scope. I shot about 50 rounds through it prior to my elk hunt and it never moved. I could hit excellent groups at 200 yards and that's about the distance I ended up shooting my bull. I never tried shooting farther than 200 because I didn't trust the ballistics past that distance. I carried an extra battery in case the battery died but never really left the scope on long enough to worry about a bad battery. It never really rained or snowed so I have no idea how it would have held up in really soggy conditions?

You may want to check the game regs in the state you are hunting. In UT you can only use a 1x scope during the muzzy hunt and in Colo you can't use one at all unless you are using it during the rifle season. You will probably be amazed how well you can shoot with a dot scope using sabots in your Encore! If you have any questions email me at [email protected]

Slamdunk said:

"Seems to be a "love hate relationship" with dot scopes, especially an electronic one.
Personally....i hate 'em both.
Here's my beef with them-
#1- ANYTHING that's electronic will fail at some point, why trust it on the opportunity of a lifetime?

#2- I can never beleive or trust something that is never at a "true center". That dot moves all over the inside of that scope with ANY movement of your head on the stock.
Try this-
Point you gun at something and look at it through your scope, but not necessarily with your dot fixed on it. Now without moving the rifle off the target, move your head the slightest bit on the stock and watch that dot move and the iron sight stay's on the target. Which one are you going to trust, that dot that's now clear up in the right or left corner, or that iron sight on the end of the barrel that's still on it's target"

I couldn't agree more!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom