Reduced Recoil Loads for a 243 WSSM

wymoosehunter

I have been shooting a really fun 243 WSSM in a 70 FWT. However, it does kick pretty good for such a little caliber. My 9 yoa son wants to shoot it, but I think that it kicks too hard for him and I don't want him to get gunshy.
Does anyone have a tested reduced recoil load for that caliber?
Thanks

I don't, but I bet Lyman does. Their manuals are crammed full of reduced cast bullet loads. They'd have a load, using possibly Unique or another pistol powder, at say 1,500-2,000 fps

I think I would start him out with a .223, or even better, a .222 Remington. Odds are, reduced recoil loads for a WSSM are non-existant. I bet there aren't any for the .243 Win. Low recoil is what the .243 is about. Good luck. mtmuley

Well i dont own one, but 33 grains of varget under a 75 gr. v-max for 3000 fps should be perty mild. got this from the hornady manual, and is a minimum load.

Another option that you have is have a muzzle brake installed on the end of the barrel.Try a Sims recoil pad also.(ROD)

those are a fun little gun. i killed a cow a couple years ago with my buddys 243 wssm. i was suprised how much kick the little bastard had:)

What has he shot? If he has only shot a .22lr, then I would be careful. If he has shot any kind of a shotgun, I think any light grain bullet load would not be too much for him. I find with my sons, if you make sure he has good hearing protection, and have him start by shooting from a standing position with solid shooting sticks and a good recoil pad on the gun you will be in a good position. My sons are all light weights and they all started with my Savage in .243 with 75gr bullets. They all found this easier than their youth model mossberg .20ga pump.

Everyone,
Thanks for the info. I have installed a Sims pad on it, but will not put a mzl brake on it. He is just getting enough size on him to really hold a "real" gun. His weight is sufficient to deal with light recoil, but it just seems that kids arms are just not long enough to wrap themselves around a rifle. I really don't want to buy him a youth gun, as every youth gun I have ever shot has kicked way harder than the adult version of the same gun.
My son has shot a 223, a 9mm carbine a and 410 shotgun. He has done real well with them. He can really shoot my 22-250 from a bipod (I dig the heel of the butt into the dirt to absorb recoil), but it is that jump to the 243 WSSM that I fear is just that much more than any of the above (the 410 is the hardest kicking gun of the above).
I have an outstanding email in to Lyman, so will await thier reply. If they don't send me something, I will probably try the advice for the 33 grns and 75 grain bullet.

Thanks to all who wrote.
Jim

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom