Region D deer-south of Alcova/Seminoe

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I know the season has only been open since yesterday, but we've spent a lot of time in this area over the past 25 years. Seems that the deer herd has really gone down hill. I'm wondering if anyone has been seeing many deer between Alcova and the Seminoes. We hunted 2 years ago and didn't see one legal buck in 4 days of hunting. It was dismal...

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

I think overall Wyoming is in a slump this year do to warmer weather. Anyway that's how it was for region H this year.

I've got a friend/party hunting in that area now. They've killed one 22 inch 4x4. one of them hit a big 4x4 last night and it went onto the neighbors property. Last I heard they were getting permission from the neighbor to go get the deer. I haven't heard the outcome yet.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-18-14 AT 06:11PM (MST)[p]I think there can be some good hunting on private ranch's. Before I go next year to Wyoming ,I am going to try to get access to a ranch.
Public land deer hunting is tough.

The area we hunt is quite large....half private, half leased land and there doesn't seem to be a difference in numbers either way. From what we're hearing, it seems more bucks are being located though. That is a good sign.

I just pent 3 days hunting hard in unit 66 of region D. I seen lots of does probably close to 300+. I also seen lots of bucks around 100, but no bucks on public land that where mature. Most of which where little spikes and two points, a few small 3 points. I pit on a lot of miles through the Bates Creek area and Corral Creek area.

I stopped at the Game check station, there was a few decent 140-150 bucks brought through but not many. if the 3 point or better keeps up I Expect to see some good changes for the unit when some of these deer start getting some age on them.

With the new Unit 66 Mule Deer Initiative being created as we speak I expect to see some great beneficial changes being made to make this unit a great unit for mule deer in the future. This unit has been dismal for a few years but with the moisture and 3 point or better regulations I have started to see some changes already.

So I found out yesterday that the hunting party I know hunting near Leo were all successful. Each of the 3 filled their tags with meat bucks is how it was put to me. I have only seen one pic and it was a 22 inch 4x3. Not sure what kind of bucks the others shot but it doesn't seem like anything big. I'm glad to see that the management tactic of 3 point or better is working. Maybe after a few years, there will be more deer in the area. I want to go back as we really love the area.

Steve

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom