Region D-Pathfinder/Seminoe/Leo

Wiszard

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-15 AT 09:55PM (MST)[p]Long story short....We've hunted this area lots over the past 20 years...for goats and deer. We haven't been out for 2 years due to the lack of deer and antelope. We were glad to see the 3 point restriction placed on that hunt. We miss heading out there and are thinking about applying next year for deer and antelope. Has the deer population come back at all? 2 years ago, my Dad, my son and I all had tags and we didn't see one legal buck in 5 days. Thanks for the info....

EDIT- I guess it would be Alcova and not Pathfinder...

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

I've spent sometime a little east of where your talking. Last season population looked better than before with a boost in younger deer. Hopefully with this being year three there mright be a few more in the 41/2 year range. But it's still nowhere it used to be 10 years ago.

Thanks Moseley- From about 2009 it just seemed to get worse and worse each year. It got to the point to where we felt it wasn't good for us to go anymore because all we were seeing were small forkies or 3x3's. The herd was going to crap and we would be part of the problem if we kept shooting younger deer. I guess we'll see what happens this year and go from there. Thanks...

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Last year I took a nice 190"+ gross buck myself in this region on public land, but that buck was, by far, the best I could find. There are fair numbers of 3 1/2 year old bucks but the problem is most people will not let those go, however over all deer numbers appear to be slowly on the rise.

I would have to agree that 10 years ago there were more 4 1/2 + year old bucks than today, but that is true is just about any Wyoming unit. Anyone who spends some time sitting on their butts with a pair of 15x binos and a tripod might be surprised what they turn up. Some landowners are difficult to deal with in D and one ranch in particular is notorious for poaching post season big bucks/bulls. Corner hopping is recommended if you have a good GPS depending on what county you hunt.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom