Region D

muzzhunter

Wondering if anyone hunted the area last year and if so how where the deer numbers? I hunted it in 08 after the bad winter and haven't been back since. I was wondering if the herds have rebounded yet? Also how was the winter kill this winter? Herd it's been pretty bad in some areas. So far I don't have anything to hunt this year, so I'm looking into Region D as a possible option.
Thanks,
Dave

Region D is a big area as you know, so it depends on the area. Parts of the region got hit pretty hard, including Shirley Basin and the I-80 corridor. I haven't heard of massive die-offs, however. The G&F website leaves something to be desired in the way to field reports from each region. I think the northern parts of the region probably had it better than central and southern . . . I think plenty of deer made it through OK.

Thanks for the response. I would likely be hunting the Northern part of the unit, as I'm contemplating trying for a 32 lope tag. Thinking of maybe trying a combo type hunt.

LAST EDITED ON May-28-11 AT 05:18PM (MST)[p]I think you would be OK in that area. I was through there in March and there was O snow at the lower elevations.

Thanks again for the reply, you don't happen to know how bad that portion of D was hit be the 07-08 winter do you? In 08 we hunted the Southern end of D and it was pretty disappointing. That's actually why I haven't been back since. Never did try any of the Northern areas that year. I hope they weren't hit as bad, but haven't heard.

I have hunted it the last two years and have taken deer both years. Deer numbers seemed to be good were I was hunting and that was after the tough winters so I say yeah give it a shot.

Good questions here? I am thinking about picking up a tag myself. I have been reading some of the old threads about this region and watching this one.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom