Region G or H Outiftter

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
Can anyone recommend an outfitter in this area that is producing good deer? I'd give my right arm to go with NTO, but they're booked full for 2015 with a waiting list for cancellations. I've emailed several times trying to convince them to go ahead and let me slide in for 2015, but haven't had any luck! ha!

So I'm open to suggestions..

I certainly appreciate it.

5K Outfitters, Double Diamond Outfitters, or Trophy Mountain Outfitters have taking some good bucks in the past. I never hunted with any of them just basing it off of pictures. Email Wyoming Outfitter and Guide Association for their magazine. They have some 2014 pictures for Trophy Mountain and other outfitters.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-14 AT 02:12PM (MST)[p]I would suggest Double Diamond or Salt River Range outfitters, Both produce great caliber of bucks if nontypical is a no go IMO!!!

IF you look at the gagger bucks non-typical takes there is no competition really....

>IF you look at the gagger
>bucks non-typical takes there is
>no competition really....

I'd have to disagree with that, as Robb doesn't have the only outfit that is taking some real big deer down there. In fact, I'm going with one next year if things work out.

I've hunted with S-N-S in the past. Good hard working guides IMO. They take some real nice bucks in that area.

http://www.huntwyo.com/

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

>I've hunted with S-N-S in the
>past. Good hard working guides
>IMO. They take some real
>nice bucks in that area.
>
>
>http://www.huntwyo.com/
>
>Eel
>
>It's written in the good Book
>that we'll never be asked
>to take more than we
>can. Sounds like a good
>plan, so bring it on!
>
>
>

That would be Jackson Hole Outfitters, and the camp manager is Grant Gertsch 1-307-654-1506,and they would be a close second choice behind N.T.O. F.Y.I. And they killed some big bucks in 2014.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-14 AT 05:57PM (MST)[p]Yep! They were a well noted outfitter taking big animals for a lot of years with him as manager and he stayed with them when
SnS bought them out a few years ago.

Topgun is correct.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

I thought that Maury "Jonesy" Jones was still guiding with JHO too?

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Go self guided and make some memories. The trophy is not in the size of horns but in the experience. Having said that, if I were to do an outfitter in Wyoming, I would only do an outfitter that does backcountry horseback trips. I would then prefer a wilderness only hunt if you are a NR in region H because this is the only way a NR can access this amazing country!

>I thought that Maury "Jonesy" Jones
>was still guiding with JHO
>too?
>
>Brian
>http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

He may well be, as GG is just the camp manager for JHO and there are a number of guides that work under his supervision.

RE: Reg H & Targhee NF

I stumbled over an Outfitter recently but forgot to write it down while looking for info on here I think.
This one Outfitter's advertisement said he was ONE of only TWO allowed to guide in the Targhee.

ANyone know who the two (2) Outfitters are? NTO might have been one but not sure, I would like to find out the other one or two what ever the case.

Guess maybe calling the GW for the units in there to find out would be the next thing, thanks for any help offered.

Brian

>I stumbled over an Outfitter recently
>but forgot to write it
>down while looking for info
>on here I think.
>This one Outfitter's advertisement said he
>was ONE of only TWO
>allowed to guide in the
>Targhee.
>
>ANyone know who the two (2)
>Outfitters are? NTO might
>have been one but not
>sure, I would like to
>find out the other one
>or two what ever the
>case.
>
>Guess maybe calling the GW for
>the units in there to
>find out would be the
>next thing, thanks for any
>help offered.
>
>Brian
>http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

You might be thinking of Bob Barlow or Linn Brothers. Don't know if Linn Brothers still exists.

Steve,
Thanks for the info and I will check it out. I looked in last years copy of WYOGA's magazine and both of them were still operating in these units or others places.

Brian

lots of country to hunt that does not require a outfitter,you can make it as hard or as easy as u want.

Hunting with an outfitter doesn't necessarily mean an "easy" hunt. Much of regions G and H is very remote, rugged country. As a NR, I would probably go with an outfitter just so I didn't have to worry about packing a camp and food and water, etc. Especially if I lived far enough away that scouting wasn't feasible.

By the time you organize a scouting trip or two, buy all your food and fuel to get here, etc, you are halfway there as far as cost anyway( maybe more). JMO.

Like bern says, you can make it as hard or easy as you want...

Our family has hunted region H for over 20 years there's been influx of outfitters in region H. This year there was a lot of small bucks harvested 18-20 range. Its not worth the money unless you don't care about size.

Plenty of good bucks in H. It's just tough country. Usually see more quality bucks in H over a several day hunt than in G. Just see way more deer in G. G is so much easier to cover country in. Problem with H as of late is the huge influx of people moving here. See way more people in the wilderness these days and they like to camp right in the deer. Love that!

> Do you want to hunt
>deer that are prescouted?

Sure, if it's done the proper way so it's fair to the game and that's not by any kind of aircraft! I got out early where I hunt, did some preseason scouting on foot and found the big buck we saw late last season and couldn't get on. He was even better than in 2013 and my buddy and I decided to either take him or eat our tags. We saw him again twice during the season and couldn't get a good, ethical shot at him and he's still out there to grow another set of horns if the weather or a cougar doesn't get him first. That, IMHO is hunting the way it should be done.

Your missing the point Top gun, for instance, Trophy mnt outfitters advertises in their brochure that all the game you hunt has been "prescouted". Not by the Hunter, but by others. Personally I wouldn't pay a trophy outfitter to go hunting, I would go with a wilderness outfitter, but not a trophy outfitter in a easily accessible area, paying for the prescouted individual trophy.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-14 AT 09:48PM (MST)[p]I didn't miss the point at all and I think you have a fallacy in your thinking. Just because you'd go into a wilderness area with an outfitter doesn't mean that the outfitter didn't scout it ahead of time just like any other area he might have access to. I said I have no problem with preseason scouting and that's whether I did it for a DIY hunt or had to have someone else do it on a guided hunt where I couldn't do it myself. My one exception is that there would be none of this aerial scouting because it's simply not fair to the game. For example, living here in MI there is no way I can scout down in Region G next year way up in the high country where I want to go and I don't have horses to get me up there, so I'm going on a guided horseback hunt. The outfitter scouts his area that same way and I have absolutely no problem going on that hunt as a NR because I'm too old to do it any other way. If I found out they did any scouting by plane I'd cancel in a heartbeat and you can take that to the bank.

I guess we are getting in the fine line Grey areas. I personally wouldn't go on a hunt where the individual animals were all spotted and named and whatnot. I know how outfitted hunts used to be, pack in to a game rich area, have an adventure, use a guided who has knowledge of the area, and pack animals and good food and stories about wild country and adventures.

This new trophy guide stuff where there is finder fees and the animals are named and scored before you shoot them, it's not for me, I couldn't be proud of a trophy taken that way.

I talked with Sy from SNS the other day...Grant is no longer with him.

Next time your trying to be slick....Try
being slicker than a 6 year old.

I cant speak for regions you guys are talking about. But up North here the outfitters scout for sheep/moose and goats. They have no need to scout for elk and deer. Most the outfitters been hunting the areas so long that they know where the animals will be. Also the guides usually don't get paid to scout for deer and elk before season.

But I do know of some guides that do scout for elk and deer also.

So it goes both ways but most the guides I know scout for that once in lifetime hunt being the sheep/moose and goat

An outfitter that makes a year round living at his profession is doing his job when he is scouting for his clients before the season. He is being hired to give "The Client" or hunter their best chance at living the dream. I respect those outfitters who are working hard for their clients.

Whatever wolfhunter, I respect hard working DYI hunters that have true personal ethics and respect for wildlife and nature. But to each his own

LAST EDITED ON Jan-01-15 AT 02:10PM (MST)[p]I understand exactly where WH is coming from and I have no problem as long as they don't stretch it to scouting from the air. Who's to say that they don't have good ethics, etc. just because they are an outfitter. I'm sure there is a good percentage that do and some that lack ethics just like many DIY people. There are many hunts that just can't be done properly by a DIY guy up in country where you need a horse to get there along with a lot of equipment that a person doesn't have. That's why I'm going outfitted in G next year because I'll be 68 and just can't do that hunt of a lifetime any other way.

Piper and others who throw the ethics card out there a lot... What are ethics to you? The definition in the dictionary is "moral principles that govern a person's or group's behavior". So if it's about morality we would then defer to God... I would be willing to bet that God would look on an outfitter doing his job, working hard for the clients that hired him, and conclude that he would be doing a good job of living up to his moral obligations. If that outfitter was scouting his entire permitted area so as to not over pressure any portion of it for the sake of the game and the future hunts, that too would be good moral choices. Also said outfitter instructing his clients to not shoot those 3-4 year old bucks because they are too young as well as he has scouted a much bigger buck that he figures is 8 years old and will almost certainly die on the winter grounds next winter if he is not harvested... I think those too would be very good moral choices. All that the outfitter is doing, is the best job that he can for the clients that have hired him. Ask your self, do you do the best job that you can in your chosen profession? What is it that you are paying an outfitter for?

If I were to go on a sheep hunt in the rugged mountains of Canada spend $40,000, I would like to hire an outfitter that knows where the sheep are at in his area... scouted by plane or foot. I might only get one chance at a hunt like that and would want to hire someone that would work hard toward my success. Some look at a mule deer hunt the same way...

Is it moral and ethical to come on a forum and attack and bash a bunch of people that you do not know? Give people the benefit of the doubt... most are good people doing their best...

"Is it moral and ethical to come on a forum and attack and bash a bunch of people that you do not know? Give people the benefit of the doubt... most are good people doing their best"

I was in your camp all the way through that post until I got to those last lines and now really wonder why you don't follow that great philosophy yourself!

Hmmmm.....what about when said outfitter "scouts" outside of his (hers) permitted area & then hunts that new found area?

>Hmmmm.....what about when said outfitter "scouts"
>outside of his (hers) permitted
>area & then hunts that
>new found area?

ASB

Every single outfitter that I know personally, works very hard at following all laws... This includes said outfitter. I am pretty sure you need to double check with your source.

Then why is he hangin out around Lake Alice on someone else's allotment? Source?? I might live there.

Like I said earlier on another post.....lot of respect for that outfit, they don't need to do the "air" thing in the low country. They are too good for that.

I agree with piper. When a customer shoots an animal, it doesnt make him a good hunter. It makes the guide a good hunter. I view customers as sucky hunters that want to look good(or try to anyway).
Unless of course youre an old timer or handicapped.

I disagree with idahobone. I live about a 24 hour drive away from this area. So not only is it not feasible for me to make scouting trips and learn the area, the last I checked I don't believe a nonresident can go into the wilderness area without an outfitter. On top of that - going in solo - doesn't make sense. I will give credit to the outfitter for putting me on a good deer - no doubt about it. This is my only option though for this area.

I guess I'll just be the lucky hunter looking good with my deer this time....

If the animal is located, its no different then shooting it in a pen. Period.

But you have a point on the wilderness area. Which is total bs. Non residents should be able to hunt wilderness without a guide. Dumb law.

I agree somewhat. I don't think it's like shooting a deer in a pen if you're on public land. On private maybe a little bit, but not really. Those deer can be bumped and leave on their own free will.

To each his own.

I will say - yes, it's more rewarding to do it on your own. Won't keep me from going guided though. I do both - whatever the time budget and money budget allows to give me my best opportunities at game. Pro's and con's of guided vs non.

>If the animal is located, its
>no different then shooting it
>in a pen. Period.

That is an absolutely ridiculous statement to make just because it sounds like you don't like outfitters/guides! They take you up into an area that they know should present some opportunities if things work out and that's all they can do because they certainly don't have an animal penned up or tied to a tree like you make it sound. It just so happens that at 68 years old next Fall I can no longer do a high country DIY backpack hunt, so I have hired a well respected outfitter/guide to take me on a OIL horseback trip up into Region G next September. There are no guarantees that I'll see anything but the gorgeous country up there. If I glass one up to shoot it will be nice and what I would prefer, but I have no problem if my guide or buddy that I'm going with happens to spot it first.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom