Region M

MnMike

Hey all, just looking for some friendly advise. We drew region M tags as a second choice, while building up PP. I searched the forums, and not found alot of info on here in regards to region M. We have also spoken with the bio for the region, but have not been able to get ahold of the GW. We have secured our HMA permission slips, scoured over maps of WIAs and accessible public lands.
The question I have, is hunting around the copper, lysite mtns area. Looking at google earth, looks to have some rougher country, with a fair amount of public lands. Does this area have a decent deer population and is there alot of hunting pressure in the area?
Any insight that may help in our quest for a mule deer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-11 AT 03:06PM (MST)[p]Area 36 where you are talking about is a place to go to pretty much get away from the crowds and not have to worry about trespass issues. If you go there, you will need a 4x4 with chains just in case you get moisture during the hunt, extra water, gas, food, etc., because it's hell and gone out there from civilization. The deer count is lower down there and that is reflected by the short 9 day season and the M tag is only good for an antlered mule deer or any whitetail for that unit. If you hunt hard down there and have enough time to spend, you can probably shoot a decent deer, but none of Region M is known for big bucks like you see here on these Forums. I would say that if you see a buck there that would hit 140" or better that you better shoot him! I've hunted M most every year since 1994.

Copper mountain is probably the one area in M I didnt make it to. I did not much care for the lower part of the region I'm sure there are deer but just did not appeal to me. Just remember some of the units have different season dates. Better have Gps and you Probably wont get ahold Tom DeSomber(gw), if thats the one your after, He is a busy feller. The HMA is good place to start (orchard). Its big country so pick a place and hunt hard. Good luck.
Jess

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-11 AT 03:37PM (MST)[p]Yep, Tom is very hard to get in touch with and I'm not sure if his territory covers south of Orchards Ranch down in 36 or not. I don't think it does, but I may be wrong. I think whoever you talk with will give you pretty much the same information we just gave you here though.

JMBC---In case you aren't aware, Orchards were only in the HMA last year and didn't renew for this season.

Thanks guys. I have been trying both Tom and Brad Gibbs, and cant reach either of them. The info I got from the bio was mainly in regards to the upper nowood hma and land in that area, so as Im researching the unit, copper and lysite mtns both look like nice areas to hunt, just didnt know what the numbers were like and if there is alot of hunting pressure in that area.

I've hunted all over up in that HMA area and there aren't many deer up there either amd it gets worse as you go north and northwest toward Worland. There are some cuts and small canyons that hold a few deer, but it's mostly antelope country. I doubt there will be any pressure anywhere this year in the Region as they haven't even sold half the 1500 tags available. Usually they sell about 1300 or more, give or take a few, but it's been going up the last couple years and this year it's looking like even if they keep chipping away like they have since 7/6 that there will be 650 tags left.

I'd be interested in hearing what the biologist told you if you don't mind sending me a PM. Thanks! Incidentally, I would not rule that Copper/Lysite area out if you can get by without seeing a lot of deer because many times areas like that are where the bucks live long enough to grow decent racks and they aren't pressured into being as nocturnal as they are in a lot of areas.

T minus 38 days and counting. Leaving on Oct 12th, getting a couple of days of scouting prior to season opening. Sighting in the rifle today, started packing and getting supplies ready....Im not that exicted to be hunting Wyoming again....yeah, right.

MnMike,

Our group hunted that Lysite Mtn back in 1997 and all we found were elk...and none of us had tags. We were hunting on and around a ranch southeast of there but deer were not in abundance then either. Out of either 8 or 9 of us...only 3 bucks were taken and they were 3x3, 3x4, 4x4 and nothing big either...the 4x4 was an average buck.
Be carefull around that region as there are a lot of ranches. One of our guys was told he was hunting on the wrong property and so he had a map given to us by the rancher, but the lady said and showed what was HER land....so be carefull.
She gave us permission to go thru her property and hunt land locked BLM and that is when 2 of the guys got their bucks.

We never went to Copper Mtn only hunted mostly around the area where the ranch was located and then the elderly ladies place.
The following year 3 of the guys, a father, son & SIL went back again and it rained so hard that he got stuck twice and wound up in ditches out there in the GOO. Two days later they left and came home saying the Hell with Lysite...lol

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks Kilo,

We have finally got in contact with the bio and gw for the area and they gave us some info. I think we have identified a few areas through looking at maps and aerial photos, that should hold some deer. Plus I purchased a new GPS sd card, so navigating around some hard to get to public land should not be a problem. Either way, it will be a fun time.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom