Region R deer numbers

NECALI

Anyone been to the west side of the bighorns lately? I was there about ten years ago and was wondering if the deer herd has changed much.Thanks Dean

don't know what it was like ten years ago but we had the tag last year. enough deer to have a good hunt but we did not see any monsters.

Thanks for the reply. Ten years ago there were hardly any deer at all until a storm moved in and a few deer with it. We all got our deer but mostly small ones. It was a fun hunt and we thought we might go back and try it again.

I too am interested in this unit!!! Any advice on how to begin hunting this region? I have been researching the area and am seriously thinking about applying for it. Looking at maps and satelite photos has helped, but there is alot of area to choose from......I have no idea of a starting point, any advice would be much appreciated.

I have been hunting this area since '98. You are right about there being a lot of area involved. You will also find that the type of terrain varies greatly fom one part of the unit to another. The northern end is more alpine high country while the southern end is comprised of more high desert sagebrush type country. Deer numbers and buck:doe ratios also vary widely. A good starting point would be to decide the type of country you want to hunt, and the type of hunt you are looking for. While deer numbers are good throughout much of Region R finding a mature buck is really tough. Talk to Tom Easterly he is the biologist that has this area. He will be able to tell you which units fit the type of hunt you are looking for, and he can also tell you the trends for each unit. Which units the deer numbers are increasing in, which units have the best buck:doe ratios, etc. Make sure you are prepared when you call. Have a list of questions already made up. After you get a general area picked out order BLM land usage maps and start narrowing your search. Good luck!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom