Region W

accubond

I was wondering if anybody had any feedback on there hunt in region W this year. Are the numbers still way down and are there good bucks still around?

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

I hunted it for the first time this year. But, I went with a couple of friends that have hunted it multiple years. We saw quite a few does and yearling bucks, but had a hard time turning up any older bucks. My friends said that we were only seeing about 40% of the deer numbers that they typically saw in the unit prior to the tough winter of 07/08. Between 4 of us with tags we killed a 16" 4 point, a 15" 2-point, and a yearling 2x3. Conditions were great for hunting with really cold weather that had deer up feeding quite a bit during the day, and despite covering lots of ground and doing quite a bit of glassing that was all we could turn up. Fun hunt, but it sounds like it may still be a few years before it fully recovers.

Dax

I was told by the Game Warden from the area that2007/2008 winter kill took most of the fawns that year,so that age group of bucks is missing from the herd.It will take 5 good years in a row to rebound the herd with careful management.

I spent 3 weeks there hunting elk and during that time saw only one nice 4x4.So, yes, the numbers are definitely down from years ago and that is why I chose to hunt a different unit for deer this year and last year.

I will be hunting eastern Wyoming for the next 4-5 years and hope the west build the herd back up.This is the case for Wyoming and Colorado.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom