Reg's are Up/On-line Viewing

Thanks Robb....

I had no idea cow elk tags were so expensive in Nevada. Was going to look into it but then saw they were $500. I'll stick with Utah I think.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Sure--no problem

Steve is there a break in price for a youth cow elk tag in the non-ressy fee structure?
Maybe for your son----

Robb

Don't believe there is any price difference on that cow tag for nr. Also, pretty sure the nr cow used to be same price as bull-$1200, up until they changed it 2 or 3 yrs ago.

Holy Moses...couldn't imagine paying $1200 for a cow elk tag. That is a good way to learn new country but it's more or less the principal of getting bent over by the seller of the tag, you know?

I'll put my son in for a Utah cow elk in hopes he gets drawn. That's the only hunts he really has a shot at getting drawn for since he doesn't want to miss any football practices or games this year. :( Where are that kids priorities? :)

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Not to be an #####, but I do not disagree with the price of NR tags. They should be higher for deer too IMO. When a Junior cannot draw a deer tag in the state, there is a problem. It is hard enough to get kids into hunting these days with all the outside distractions and what not and to deny a child a tag is ridiculous.

When a resident has to apply for 5-6 years to get a mediocre tag just to have a NR apply 1 year and draw, it damn near offsets the cost.

It's not that I disagree with the cost, doz. I simply will not pay it. I agree with you that more juniors need to hunt. However, if you gave every junior applicant a tag, you'd have no deer herd.

3804 Tag apps for junior Mule Deer last year. 3339 tags given out.

You are telling me they cannot come up with 465 tags? Get real.

There were 3339 junior tags allotted last year?

Yay, left over area 10 early tags. Lets drive 7 hours to hunt in 75 degree weather with the extra 600 doe tags alotted and extra 65 youth tags where numbers are already severely declining.

Has nothing to do with wanting southern units. The only unit with spare tags for juniors last year was 10.

doz- you are complaining about an 88% success rate for a junior to draw a tag? That's not even mentioning the left over tags?

PIOCHE is right....hunting is hunting. Beggars can't be choosers. I've hunted 10 before... I wasn't successful but that doesn't mean I wouldn't hunt it again. Yes, we want our junior hunters to be successful but that isn't real life. My son has filled 25% of the tags he's drawn and he's 14. He's been fortunate to hunt in Nevada, Arizona, Wyoming and Utah. 75% of the time he comes back empty handed. I've taught him that his 25% success rate is better than most.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-16 AT 09:34AM (MST)[p]My son is 15 now. He has drawn 1 Junior tag in area 13. He harvested that year. No tags since (he drew his first year eligible).

Yes I am complaining about 88% draw rate for juniors. Juniors should all receive tags. We were in 10 last year. It is absolutely ridiculous what you have to deal with up there. Its not hunting at all, its called getting lucky. There are so many people it is insane. Not even enjoyable. You hike 2-3 miles just to see more people.

Local juniors should draw tags period. It gets kids involved. ALways funny to see an out of state applicant defending the system.

If they are left over youth tags aren't they good for any season? Including late rifle and late archery? What more do you want?

If Hunting and Angling Ended
There is no alternative funding system
in place to replace the potential lost
funds for conservation. If hunting and
angling end, funding for wildlife
conservation, including enforcement of
all wildlife laws, will be jeopardized.
Hunters, anglers and shooters actively
support wildlife conservation through
tangible actions such as buying licenses
and paying taxes on hunting, fishing and
shooting equipment. Why are hunters and
anglers so willing to support
conservation through their pocketbooks?
Because people place added value on ?
and are willing to pay for ? what they
can use.

doz- I am defending the system that gives your resident kids an 88% chance to draw! I put my son in for regular tags because quite often he has a better chance to draw. Break out your checkbook and put in for regular draws then if you want your kid to hunt. I fully agree with getting as many kids out there as possible but where do you draw the line? I live in Cali and I make sacrifices to so that my son can hunt. We go out of state because his odds are better to harvest an animal. I'll tell you what...you'd hate living in Cali if you only put your kids in for youth hunts. It's a joke here. You're saying that area 10 is a crap unit and you have to get lucky to get a deer. That's simply not true. I've hunted in 10 and we saw bucks...not many but we found some. I understand your position but if you want your kid out in the field hunting, maybe you should suck it up and get a leftover tag the years he doesn't draw his ideal tag.

Thank god my dad raised me with the complete opposite mindset of doz! Sad to see a grown man whine about a 88% success rate. I'll never be able to understand the mindset of wanting to hand youth everything they want on a silver platter. I actually feel bad for the kid being taught that's how life should be.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-16 AT 03:44PM (MST)[p]Y'all act like I am complaining that I did not draw a tag.... Who in their right mind does NOT want youth to get tags? There is nothing better than seeing kids in the mountains hunting. You do not see many (at least not in Nevada). Meanwhile, we have non-residents pulling tags up the ass.

If NR tags were done away with and there was still a shortage, then OK I would understand. It is not about a mindset of having things handed to them. My son holds down a summer job (has for the last 2 summers and working this upcoming summer) while playing baseball year round and keeping a 3.7 GPA (he just turned 15 btw, has ID with a health card and legal to work for the non-believers). I have no doubt that he is not "handed" anything.

That said, all youth in a state should get tags before NR. I do not care what state you are in. But hey, keep assuming you understand my son's life. Any "huntinfanactic" would understand the importance and enjoy kids getting tags before grown men. Seems the grown men around are sad that someone wants the kids to have something before them.

I understand you wanting your kids to hunt. I am not sure that you have looked but Nevada is pretty damn skimpy on the non resident deer tags. Most of the hunts have single digit tags. The hunts that have the majority of tags are the ones your kids can draw every year. The hunts I am guessing that you are putting in for take non residents a butt load of points and have very few tags.

We are teaching our youth that they are entitled to everything. I agree that youth are important to the future of hunting. But is it important that they learn that somethings are worth waiting for.

Everyone can be a victim, if you want to be.

Rich

I think Nevada's system is one of the best , period . They don't have huge game numbers or huge tag numbers . Once you draw you can expect a quality hunt . I have hunted Nevada many times and have always had a great hunt , successful or not.

Doz , with regards to area 10 , hiking 2-3 miles is what everyone else does , takes more effort to get away from the crowds .

Why not take some of the resident "grown up" tags away and give them to the kids? Non residents account for a lot of $$...that is why they system is the way it is. I still can't get over the 88% success rate to pull a youth tag.

As I said before, put your son in for big boy tags in different states and really show him how hunting is. Kudos to your son for working and playing baseball and still holding a 3.7 GPA. THAT WILL PREPARE HIM FOR REAL LIFE. That doesn't mean he SHOULD get a deer tag every year. Man...I wish we could go back to the times I grew up in. The kids now-a-days would sh!t a brick.

Anyway doz...I see your point about thinking every kid should draw a junior tag...I just think 88% is as close as they need to get. Think about it...out of the 7 years they put in as a junior, they'll draw at least 5 tags. What else comes close to that? I'll tell you what does...a California A zone tag where it's 90 degrees during the season and the buck to doe ratio is 3:100. LOL

"Local juniors should draw tags period. It gets kids involved. ALways funny to see an out of state applicant defending the system"

This statement pretty much sums it up you have a Hard on for out of state hunters you feel are taking away from YOUR tags and stealing the opportunity of the "Local" youths to hunt Bucks.

You can get the youths involved many ways without a Buck tag what happened to the days when you grabbed a .22 and went looking for small game or a shotgun and went bird hunting. some of my fondest memories afield where with my dad doing this exact thing.

Aaron- That last part just might be true...LOL.

88% rate is pretty darn good in my book, leave it as is.
Regarding the "grown men" comment. If it wasn't for us grown up non residents your fees would go thru the roof.
And yes, I'm looking to pull area 10 with 3pts, do the math, 4x$162+$240 if I actually draw, and you want more?
I've got 2 kids, and one will be joining us this year if we get drawn, factor in that $$ as well.
I hunted 10 a few years back, and yes there is lots of pressure, but we found our bucks.

Seems like the nonresident deer tag quotas are really stingy, nowhere near 10% of the resident quota. It varies by unit. How do they figure the nonresident quota? I know the guide draw robs it blind, is that all there is to it?

I prefer to not hunt with a guide so I never have looked into those numbers. I'll be the odds are much better as to help the guides out and keep the economy going. I figure I'm lucky to hunt Nevada every 3-5 years on a decent tag. I will probably only get the 10 tag as a leftover. Hunting is hunting though...

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom