REI hunter friendly?

fatrooster

Long Time Member
It is not my intentions to bash REI. That is unless they are against hunting. I noticed that MM has an REI advertisement and I was just wondering what REI's stance is on hunting. I did some internet research and could find nothing on thier stance on the subject except that they refuse to sell anything in camo because it is offensive to some people. In my view, if thier stance is a secret then I will give my bussiness to Cabelas or Sportsmans Warehouse. fatrooster.

I buy everything I can at REI because of their warranty, which unfortunately just changed. I have looked at packs there and had them suggest MR and Kifaru as better beefier choices.

I have not seen them as anti hunting, but have not seen them as stand out pro-hunting. The CEO of REI is supposed to be a hunter, but I have yet to see anything more than a wing shoot. I also know she claims to be from a long line of hunters.

She is up to become or has become the replacement for Ken Salazar (department of interior). I believe she also has a history in extractive industries as well.

Here is al ink that goes into more detail. I feel they are a green company that is toeing the line between anti hunting and hunting very closely and carefully.

I have not seen anything that came out and said hunting is evil, etc. However, it is hard to tell what their final stance is...

I don't know their stance but I hit their retail stores if I have questions about products. In my experience, the workers are very knowledgeable. I haven't seen the same expertise at some of the other retail stores. I have wondered how hunter friendly they truly are though. They're happy to take our money but it'd be good to know where they stand.

I've never heard of them, but I fail to see how they could even remotely be considered hunter friendly if they will not sell camo clothing!

Just judging by all the Subaru's in the parking lot I would say they are not for it. If they were they would sell stuff for hunting besides the same stuff that backpackers and tree humpers use.

Don't know how hunter friendly they are,but I have been a member for 20 yrs and gotten great deals on great equipment over the years.
Yeah, they sell mostly to eco-hikers and such,but most of the folks working there know their stuff.
Few years back was getting some Patagonia Capaline for base layers and the semi-hippie sales babe asked me what I was using it for,purpose? I told her it was for a backpacking bull elk hunt. She kinda cringed. I asked her if she had ever eaten organic free range elk meat,no was the answer. I asked her if she would like to try some. I wound up cooking her a meal at her place a few weeks later and we had a great time...until politics came up...at breakfast... But she provided great service!!
I've been to alot of full camo covered stores that sell crap and have bad service. I get camo/ hunt specific things @ Cabellas,and other places, but still get great gear at REI.

Good thing politics didnt come up before breakfast or was that planned that way? Just in time to get the hell outta there before ya had a clinger.

I don't see why they have to sell camo clothing or market directly to the hunting consumers to recieve your business. This place has far better gear for backpacking and hiking than cabelas does. At the end of the day, they are trying to sell a product, just like cabelas. Their products can be used for both the hunting and non-hunting community. If they start to sell camo, they will likely lose more business from the hippies than they will gain from selling camo, and there is nothing wrong with that in my eyes, this is their choice. I have not seen them oppose the hunting community. I like REI a lot, and will continue to buy from there.

My momma didn't raise no dummie!!
Of course I avoided that subject. There were more pressing issues to discuss.
Hard to get mad at that gal standing there in those yoga pants and all,so I agreed to disagree politely and left with my base layers intact....

Back on topic, I just got e-mail about a REI sale and might have to make a run into Albacrackie....maybe she has seen the light?
Members get dividends and discounts. I have a fleece jacket that I ripped the zipper pull off in a dryer(didn't take her advice about zipping up during drying cycle),maybe she's still there and can help me with a zipper problem?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-13 AT 07:13PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-13 AT 07:12?PM (MST)

>My momma didn't raise no dummie!!
>
>Of course I avoided that subject.
>There were more pressing issues
>to discuss.
> Hard to get mad at
>that gal standing there in
>those yoga pants and all,so
>I agreed to disagree politely
>and left with my base
>layers intact....
>
>Back on topic, I just got
>e-mail about a REI sale
>and might have to make
>a run into Albacrackie....maybe she
>has seen the light?
>Members get dividends and discounts. I
>have a fleece jacket that
>I ripped the zipper pull
>off in a dryer(didn't take
>her advice about zipping up
>during drying cycle),maybe she's still
>there and can help me
>with a zipper problem?

Just make sure it doesn't get stuck, especially without the pull. (That'll make the doctors' and nurses' day, I'm sure!)

PS, Then what did your momma raise?

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-13
>AT 07:13?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-13
>AT 07:12?PM (MST)

>
>>My momma didn't raise no dummie!!
>>
>>Of course I avoided that subject.
>>There were more pressing issues
>>to discuss.
>> Hard to get mad at
>>that gal standing there in
>>those yoga pants and all,so
>>I agreed to disagree politely
>>and left with my base
>>layers intact....
>>
>>Back on topic, I just got
>>e-mail about a REI sale
>>and might have to make
>>a run into Albacrackie....maybe she
>>has seen the light?
>>Members get dividends and discounts. I
>>have a fleece jacket that
>>I ripped the zipper pull
>>off in a dryer(didn't take
>>her advice about zipping up
>>during drying cycle),maybe she's still
>>there and can help me
>>with a zipper problem?
>
>Just make sure it doesn't get
>stuck, especially without the pull.
>(That'll make the doctors' and
>nurses' day, I'm sure!)
>
>PS, Then what did your momma
>raise?

She raised 6 kids and was a WWII Veteran. My she rest in peace.
And all of us turned into good people. I am the lone wolf of the pack. Always was it seems,but she was proud of me. Any more ?'s

Years ago I worked at REI and was criticized for being a hunter from other tree hugger type employees. That may not be the stance of the company but it sure was from the employees. FWIW.

The reason you want to be careful about who you spend your money with or give your bussiness to is because sometimes those bussinesses turn right around and use your money to fight against hunting. Thats why its best to give your money to a company that is out in the open about thier stance on hunting and hunting politics. fatrooster.

Great advice fatrooster, probably spot on. However couldn't it be said that by buying gear for our purposes of hunting indirectly makes REI a hunting advocate? If they aren't openly saying one way or the other it seems to me they might just be doing that for business purposes to keep both sides of the coin coming in and buying their products. By not saying their anti-hunting they are in fact helping hunters hunt and be successful. Not selling camo clothing because it may offend someone, yeah that might be making a statement or it might keep the tree huggers coming in to spend money. Does either side really know the truth of the matter?? Nope, probably not, but if they got great deals and great products all walks of life will keep coming in. Sounds like good business management to me.

GBA

>100% agree with fatrooster, but, I
>am OK with Hanks picking
>up chicks there also. :)
>
You just gotta go with the flow,and get the hot deals....

Here's my experience with REI, take it for what it's worth. I used to be a member, because I too think they have great gear for backcountry type hunting. One trip there while walking out of the store I was greeted by an individual collecting signatures for a ballot measure to ban bear baiting and hound hunting here in Oregon. Obviously REI was permitting this individual to be there.

I walked back in the store, returned my items, and tore up my membership card at the checkout stand. They still have great gear, but will never get my business.

Banger

I'd be concerned about the shaving habits of an REI employed chick. Hank? Seriously though, it's hard to keep track of companies that are anti-hunting to some degree. I do know REI isn't pro hunting, and the afore mentioned Subaru corporation is definitely anti. I'll never drive one of those damn things. mtmuley

No mustache and smooth where it counted.Sano for sure,but I think there was some organic aloe products used....
I know these folks are not pro-hunter for the most part,but some are closet hunters for sure.
Take Patagonia,not what you would think of as a hunter type company,but I know the founder and he was an occational hunter when he wasn't rock climbing,surfing and such. I talked hunting Blacktails with him once.
I carry my meat coolers on a Yakama rack, go with the flow.

I have shopped for years at REI. Freeze dried foods, head lamps, stuff sacks,, snow shoes, etc.

About two years ago I tried to return some REI wool blend socks. The toe box seam came un-done and was falling off. The socks had "REI" embroidered in red . The clerk said "do younhave a receipt" which I didn't. So she looked in the computer; no record,of purchase from me, my wife, any of three kids. I clearly didn't know exactly who bought them or when, but I didn't steal them or get them at a garage sale. Finally I said , " You keep them" as I left the store, but told her it was. the last REI brand product I would purchase. Only bought a few freezed dried Mountain House dinners since!

They lost a decent customer for life..

Ed

GotBowzAz, no, selling merchandise to hunters does not indirectly make REI a hunting advocate. It only makes them a salesman. If a poacher buys gear from Cabelas, that does not make Cabelas a poaching advocate. Just a salesman.
Your other question was, isn't it good bussiness for REI to sell to nonhunters and hunters alike without making a stance. Heck yeah it is. Thats the whole point of this thread. Its good bussiness for REI but its not good bussiness for hunters if REI is against hunting. Even if REI is not against hunting, some of the clothing lines and namebrands that sell thier product in REI are. Our hunting heritage and saving our right to hunt is more important than saving a buck. I'd rather pay ten dollars for an item at Sportsmans Warehouse than five dollars for the same item at a place that is not openly ok with hunting. fatrooster.

I personally have always found the prices high there. Maybe it's just me. I have walked in and then walked out with nothing about 5 times in my life just because I knew somewhere else that had it cheaper.

>>LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-13
>>AT 07:13?PM (MST)

>>
>>LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-13
>>AT 07:12?PM (MST)

>>
>>>My momma didn't raise no dummie!!
>>
>>PS, Then what did your momma
>>raise?
>
>She raised 6 kids and was
>a WWII Veteran. My she
>rest in peace.
>And all of us turned into
>good people. I am the
>lone wolf of the pack.
>Always was it seems,but she
>was proud of me. Any
>more ?'s

Nope! Not even in jest! Sorry!

Carry on.

I've never shopped at REI so I've never had a reason to consider their view of hunters. But it is something that I consider (among other things) when shopping at other places.

I agree with rooster. I do buy some gear not intented to hunt with that I take hunting but theres plenty of places to find gear if a person is willing to shop around.

I have no idea about the company itself, but the manager of the Salt Lake City REI is a bowhunter. His son won the Bowcast At The Bird Mountain Mile Challenge and took a couple of nice critters last year for what ever that's worth.

Cheers,
Pete

I wonder if fatrooster does business with many cattle and sheep ranchers in the Elko county Nevada area? I believe he lives in that area and would be doing a thousand times as much harm to hunters by doing business with Nevada cattlemens association members than doing business with the REI corporation.
While one corporation is neutral when it comes hunting, the other association of corporations is committed to taking hunting opportunity away from hunters.
And I don't mean just a little opportunity either, I mean the kind people can feel.

They might be neutral as far as hunting goes, but there stance on 4wds and off roading is out there as very pro lock up the land! and a big supporter of suwa, thats why I will never step inside one of there stores!

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

I don't blame a business for knowing its customers and not going out of the way to offend them. If they sell to both hunters and granola crunchers, so be it, that's capitalism. I agree with being aware of whether companies you support are supporting causes that you don't agree with. That's not limited to outdoor companies. You never know where JC Penny's, BP, or Monsanto is spending their money -- it's a lot to keep track of though.

I think it is always better to spend $ with a business that supports hunting and fishing.

I have bought a sleeping pad from REI, but, only because I could only find it there.

Money talks.

Piper, yes I do live in the Elko area and yes I do buy hay from ramchers. All of the ranchers I know are big hunters and support it whole heartedly. Most of them let people hunt on thier property anf some do not. But the ones I know do not try to stop public land hunting. BUT, every rancher is an individual and I do not agree with all ranchers philosiphies. If a rancher is out to hurt oppurtunity for the hunter than I feel the same as you. And yes, there are a couple that I know of in the Elko area. You have to pick and choose what ranchers to deal with and which ones to avoid. And that goes with all bussinesses, support groups, and any kind of entity. Its impossible to keep up with all of them but for some of them its easy to figure out. Thanks for the input Piper. fatrooster

fatrooster- The Nevada cattlemans associations involvement with hunting has little to do with an individual ranchers policy on access.
It has everything to do with wildlife numbers and public land,
Having grown up in Elko and being involved in the policies that control wildlife numbers, I know quite a bit about the subject.

While some people might worry about a far fetched scheme about a ban on hunting, I try to think about whats really happening.

Your right, its impossible to keep up with everything, but to worry about a company that sells backpacking and outdoor gear and has a neutral stance on hunting is foolish in my opinion, there are more important things to be concerned about.

I worked there for several years and the company's philosophy is to enjoy the outdoors, whatever that means to you. Corporate does not take a stance on hunting, period. The individual store that you may visit has its own culture. The Anchorage store, for instance, is full of employees who embrace the hunter and the outdoorsman in general. Now go to the Berkeley store and you will most likely have a different crowd. The Santa Fe store has a variety of folks that are all good people. Although some employees did not approve of my love for hunting, most employees found it interesting, asked a ton of questions about hunting and actually took the time to listen to what I had to say. And my elk sausage was always a big hit in the break room.

Piper, you are right about individuals policy on access has little to do with the Nevada Cattlemans associations involvement with hunting. After I went back and read that I wondered if you would bring that up, lol. Yes, that was just one example of ranchers problems with hunters. But it seems that you are very knowledgeable about the associations policies and how they would hurt hunting. I say bring that knowledge and educate us and try to sway support to your view and agenda. I'm all for supporting hunting but I'm not against the rancher making a living either. So lets hear what you gotta say. Knowledge to the matter will help us all not be ignorant to the cause which again points me back to the subject at hand. I do not feel that REI's stance on hunting is a foolish subject. I think ignorance to the issue of not knowing who you support with your money is foolish which makes your issue and my issue both a viable concern. Thats why I will listen to you with an open mind.
I owne horses and have to buy hay somewhere just like we all have to buy fuel for our vehicles. Who knows what we unknowingly support by buying fuel from whoever.
Fact of the matter is that many ranchers are prohunting and many of them are huge advocates to the sport and many things that support it. I'm sure that there are plenty of ranchers out there that are not members of the Nevada cattlemans association and have hunting as a source of fun sport and income. Some of them make lots of money from hunting so there is two sides to your coin. Again, every rancher is an individual.
fatrooster.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-13 AT 10:28AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-13 AT 10:24?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-13 AT 10:06?AM (MST)

I just found on the internet that REI is a corporate sponsor of the Sierra Club. Just punch in REI sponsors Sierra Club. Too many items to list. Also, punch in REI supports Utah Wilderness Alliance.
Here is more.
http://www.rei.com/stewardship/community/non-profit-partnerships-and-grants.html.
fatrooster

I see a ton of enviro wacko organizations, but dont see RMEF or MDF or even SFW, not a single 4wd org or a hunting org. Dont think I will ever step in one of there stores

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

Yeah your right and I hate the Sierra club. I'm the only dirty truck with a RMEF sticker when I go.

But still hoping to bag the elusive honey crested redbush some day.Might switch to Starbucks units....

Tip,I don't go anywhere near a Wally world....tho I've seen pics of monsters!

Sorry,I don't get out much anymore.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-13 AT 05:32PM (MST)[p]Fatrooster, maybe if you would have come to some of the many meetings on setting elk objectives in Elko county you would know more of what Im talking about.
I don't live in Nv anymore, but nothing is more important than getting involved in local wildlife issues if you care about hunting.
I believe Brandon Fordin who posts on here sometimes is acquainted with the current issues facing wildlife in Elko county

I like to see the ranchers make a great living also, but not at the expense of wildlife, hunters and the health of the land, especially when so much of it is public land.

Whining about REI or the Sierra club and knowing so little about your local issues is stupid, in fact I well remember the Sierra clubs support for Ruby mnt wilderness protection, and that's something I fully supported.
I also remember driving by a ranch in lower Lamoille during the same period where there were huge banners flying that said STOP WILDERNESS.
Knowing who to support is complicated but Im sure your energy could be put to better use, if you really care about the future of hunting anyway.

Actually I am taking a bigger interest in local wildlife issues. I was at the road closure meetings held at the convention and I went to a recent video conference held for support of hound hunting for bears even though I've never hound hunted.
I'm not saying your agenda is unimportant. I actually agree with you on as much as I know. I think what your saying is important and I'm ready to support it if I agree with the whole issue. I don't see categorizing all ranchers in a nut shell as being very fair though. It kinda hurts your credability when you bash all ranchers and categorize them.
Like I said, your points sound like a good fight to fight but so is the REI issue and any issue related to hurting hunting. To turn a deaf ear to the situation is exactly what the anti's want. We should pull together and fight them all.
I work a miners schedule so it will definitely be tough for me to make every meeting that comes up but I'm more than happy to make the effort and I'm more than happy to hear your view's. fatrooster.

Here is a tip.

Go into an REI, look around until you find a pair of purple Spandex bike shorts, a package of those "toilets" that you pack your chit out of the mountains in and a pink bandana with all the cute little animal footprints on it.

Walk up to any employee and ask for what you REALLY want......they will chit themselves getting you lined out with your stuff.

If you actually BUY the things I listed, leave your "man card" at the cash register.

"Being an idiot is NOT an art form. Give it up!"

Fatrooster, I didn't mean to lump all ranchers in the same group, just a couple of days ago I was building fence and moving cattle.
In Elko county the citizens have let the bad ranchers run amuck over hunters, that's just a fact.

You would do well to remember that the vast majority of citizens are neither hunters or anti hunters, those antis you seem to worry about aren't much of a threat unless we hunters give the nonhunters a reason to become antihunters.

We are steadily losing for many reasons, rapidly increasing human populations and gold mining in your area, gas and oil drilling, a drying warming climate, just to name a few issues, and there isn't much we can do about most of it.
I have never thought of those brightly colored backpackers that parked at the top of Lamoille canyon as a threat to hunting, I never thought any of the non-motorized outdoor enthusiasts that REI corp. sells gear to were a threat to hunters.

You should also remember that lots of hunters and nonhunters alike actively support roadless country and wilderness.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-13 AT 09:55AM (MST)[p]Piper,
backpackers are not all bad people and many times I agree with a lot of the things they fight for. But some of there agendas hurt us and many hikers are antihunters. Your reasons that you give in your last post are the reasons we should not give our money to the anti's when we have our owne viable places where we can spend our money. Its just another battle that may be small potatoes in your eyes and I think you feel that we have bigger fish to fry. But where we spend our money is a bigger fish than what you think it is and I think you feel that hikers and antihunters are two different groups of people.
I think you have a little age on you so you will probably know something about this next issue I'm gonna bring up. When I was a kid I remember people talking about buying American. Not just vehicles but with everything we buy. They warned us that the Chinese and Japenese would take over the auto industry as well as many other industries which would hurt our employment situation. Well everything they said would happen did happen. Less money goes to American companies, less money stays in America and we have less jobs. Of course these are not the only reasons for declines in revenue and jobs because the American auto industry had plenty of thier owne problems that hurt themselves. But we find ourselves buying almost everything made in China or somewhere else. So I say why don't hunters buy from hunters and keep ourselves growing in every way we can instead of helping nonhunters and antihunters fight us with our money. You see this as a small trivial matter and I see it as shooting ourselves in the foot.
By the way, thanks for the work you've done in the past to help Nevada's wildlife. I just met Brandon last year and will find out more from him about future support in future meetings. And I'm glad to see that you are not against ranchers in general but just against the self serving ones.
fatrooster

Piper,
I will be respectful since I do not know you. Before we get started, can we accept the fact that Fatrooster has been a VERY giving man on this website?? I have never met the man, but he does a lot for kids getting into hunting, is involved in probably more conservation things that he is too proud to admit. Then he posts here being polite to your "comebacks".

Shame on you for being just a touch "arrogant". I usually do not say much here but you are not in touch with what is happening at all the REI & Dicks & stores like that. Seems like every weekend on the "local" front, there is a backpacker that you could be supporting via your comments above that just realized we are hunting in "their" untouched "space".

I would hope in your future comments you can consider this....as it is happening under your unblown nose!

"I usually do not say much here but you are not in touch with what is happening at all the REI & Dicks & stores like that."

#####'s ? Didn't know there was an issue with them. I bought 3 of my last 4 tree stands there. What gives?

Allowing a table outside the storefront that has people & petitions. One petition in particular was to stop hound hunting.

I will leave the debate to others if that is right or wrong, either way it's bad PR if you want hunters to come through your doors.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-13 AT 08:52AM (MST)[p]I agree with a lot of what fatrooster is saying.
I just don't agree with the notion that its good policy to draw hunters in an ever tighter smaller circle, especially when it comes to other people who use the public lands and outdoors.

Do the math, see what percentage of Americans are hunters, Skiers, fishermen, ect. ect.

I remember an antiwilderness petition outside of a Smiths store, should I quit shopping at Smiths stores? Kroger stores, the gas station in Big Piney?
It goes on and on if you want it to, what to do is our choice, and I am expressing my opinion, and maybe I see the threats to hunting a little differently than some?

ASB, thanks for taking up for me and for your support. I am truley humbled. It is said that a man can be measured by the quality of his friends and piers and you truley make me feel blessed. With that being said I must say that even though Piper and I do not completely agree on this subject I still feel that he is a quality sportsman and a brother hunter who has an intelligent argument. Nevertheless I am on my soap box and will not budge on my stance as I'm sure he will not. Again I am truley humbled by your support and am glad to know that we sportsmen WILL pull together when the chips are down wether we agree or not. fatrooster.

P.S. I know that many times when I am met with controversy I take the polite route in my debates and some people say I'm too polite. But I assure you that when the circumstances dictate, I can and will put on the gloves and will come out swinging when I need too. Me and Piper were not even close to that point. But I'm proud to have you in my corner. Thanks again. fatrooster.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom